Your first cruise ship

Copper10-8

For my then very young husband and me, our first cruise was on the Costa Carla C in 1975, embarking from San Juan for a week in the Caribbean. I still remember the beautiful midnight departure and exploring the lovely, undeveloped Islands we visisted, including Martinique. The ship was small, 20,000 tons, and decorated with lots of velvet in jewel tones. This sailing was so long ago that the toga parties, which I understand are now part of Costa cruises, were non-existant. The crew was first rate, and the Italian food outstanding. We had a terrific time and remain hooked on cruising. Here she is:

We are off on yet another sailing this fall on the Noordam, and our son, who also loves cruising, will be joining us.

Ship+Photo+Carla+Costa.jpg

s/s Flandre (1952-1994) Delivered as Flandre in 1952 to the French Line for which she sailed until 1967 when she was sold to Costa Cruises and renamed Carla C. In 1986 she was renamed Carla Costa. Sold in 1992 to Epirotiki Line (Greece) and renamed Pallas Atherna. In 1994 a fire broke out onboard which caused her superstructure and funnel to cave in on themselves. She arrived at the Aliaga Company scrapyards in Turkey in December of that year and was broken up.

My First was the SS France, French Lines in 1963. Went from NYC to France. Later I cruised her when she was the SS Norway. A truly great ship and experience!

SS_France_Hong_Kong_74.jpg

s/s France (1962-2007) Delivered as ocean liner "France" to the French Line aka Compagnie Generale Transatlantigue (CGT) in 1962 and served as that line's flagship until 1974. In that year she was mothballed in Le Havre where she stayed until purchased by Norwegian Cruise Line in 1979. Renamed s/s Norway, she sailed for NCL until a boiler explosion occurred in 2003 while she was berthed in Miami, Fl. She was eventually sold in April 2006 to Bridgend Shipping Limited of Monrovia, Liberia, and renamed SS Blue Lady in preparation for scrapping. She was towed to Alang, India where, after lengthy court battles, scrapping was begun in December 2007 continuing into 2008.

Ship+Photo+SS+NORWAY+in+Miami+1989.jpg

Our first cruise was on the Celebrity Mercury in 2000 for our 25th anniversary. It was a 7-day inside passage cruise out of Vancouver. We are hooked on cruising and on Alaska We took our 4th Alaskan cruise in June and plan another for our 35th anniversary in 2010.

I smile every time I see your new avatar. On a cruise to Svalbard in 2005 on Saga Rose, we were thrilled to see polar bears roaming a bay for three hours.

At one point, a bear climbed slowly but determinedly up to the top of the black, snow-covered crags, looking for birds' nests to raid for food. (There were a lot of nervous birds in the air that day!) We also learned from the naturalist onboard that polar-bear skin is black. The Captain said that, in the six years he had been sailing to Far North, this was the first time he had seen polar bears.

When the bear turned and looked down to the coastline, he leaned forward and body-surfed down to sea level. I have a photo of that hilarious sight and all you see are a black nose and little-bitty dots of black eyes.

Ruby

1972! Now you know how old I am! DH even had hair then and we were both skinny and didn't have to worry about all those meals. Our cabin was an inside all the way in the bottom of the ship. Who cared, we were happy and when we left the ship we were totally addicted to cruising. The Mardi Gras was lovely, at least we thought so then. I do remember the dining room was completely closed in, no windows, and plenty of passengers left dinner some nights due to sea sickness. Thanks for bringing back all the wonderful memories, we need them here in Texas.

"K" Lines (Kavournides) Hellenic Cruises ship Galaxy/Galaxios, 1976. Just out of high school, with my parents on their first trip to Europe.

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/K-Lines.html#anchor408585

A wonderful itinerary: Mykonos, Kusadasi, Patmos, Rhodes. Heraklion, Santorini....in 4 days! Talk about port intensive!

PathfinderEss, my second and third cruise were aboard Azure Seas and Emerald Seas in the 1980's.

Ship+Photo+PRINCESA+AMOROSA.jpg

Scottish Coast (1957-2002) Built in 1957 as Scottish Coast for Burns & Laird and primarily used on runs from England and Scotland to Ireland. She was sold to K-Line or Kavounides Lines (Greece) in 1969, renamed Galaxius and refurbished for Mediterranean cruising. Following the failure of Kavounides, Galaxias spent an unsuccessful spell in Vancouver and Mexico between 1986-1989, after which she was sold to Louis Cruise Lines of Cyprus and Renamed Princesa Amorosa. She was laid up in 2000, sold for scrap and broken up at Mumbai, India in 2002.

My first cruise was on P & O's Orsova in 1967. My girlfriend and I sailed from Vancouver to Hawaii. It was a 5-day cruise. We had an amazing time and it only cost us $199.00 each. In those days, there was tourist class and 1st class. We had booked in tourist class but it was over-booked so we got bumped up to 1st class. Unfortunately, most of the 20 somethings (like us) were in tourist class. So, we managed to sneak into tourist class, but were caught and reprimanded - hilarious when you think of it! They actually had locked doors which separated tourist and first class.

When you compare the amenities aboard ship today, there is no comparison. We had bunk beds in a very spartan room and the bathroom was down the hall. But the service was amazing and so was the food. And drinks were only 25 cents each!! Our room steward woke us up every morning with freshly squeezed orange juice! I'll never forget how beautiful and exciting it was in the early morning hours sailing into Oahu's harbour and watching the sun come up.

The following year, I got married and it took me until 1980 to convince my late husband to go on a cruise. He had had a very turbulent trip across the Atlantic before I met him (pretty near everyone was seasick) and had absolutely no desire to get back on a ship. That all changed when we flew into Puerto Rico and boarded the Veendam for a Caribbean cruise. He was then hooked, like me.

Thanks for starting this thread Copper - it's wonderful to read of others' first cruises and it's a real trip down memory lane for all of us!

Do you know what became of the Orsova? I would love to know.

Judy

Westerdam (I think), 1994 to Alaska. Had a good time but wasn't "hooked". Now I'm hooked :D

Ship+Photo+WESTERDAM.jpg

Homeric (1986-present) Delivered in 1986 as "Homeric" for Home Lines (Italy). Home Lines was taken over by Holland America Line in 1988 and Homeric was renamed Westerdam II. In 2002, Westerdam received an internal transfer to Costa Cruise Lines where she became Costa Europa. She is still sailing under that name.

Ship+Photo+COSTA+EUROPA.jpg

My husband's first cruise was on Vulcania 11/22/1936. Third class cabin. A transatlantic cruise from Italy to NYC. He was coming to his new home in America. It was a rough trip. He was processed through Ellis Island. I can't get him to take another transatlantic but he loves to cruise, all most as much as I do.

Maria

Out of San Juan. We did 5 islands in 7 days and came home exhausted. The following year we tried Veendam and a few more sea days and have come to value the balance of port days w/ sea days and now come home much better rested.

We haven't left HAL since w/ the exception of a quick 4 day on Disney last Oct as our best friends' son was getting married onboard.

Ship+Photo+CELEBRITY+GALAXY.jpg

Celebrity Galaxy (1998-present) Built as Galaxy for Celebrity Cruise Line in 1998 as the second of a three ship class (Century, Galaxy & Mercury). Was renamed Celebrity Galaxy in 2008. Her cruise in March 2009 will be her last with X as she will receive an internal transfer to TUI Cruises, a new German-based cruise line that's a joint venture between Royal Caribbean, Celebrity's parent, and European mega-operator Tui AG.

Great topic - interesting replies.

My first ocean voyage (a crossing, not a cruise) was June 7, 1950 from San Francisco to Honolulu aboard Matson Lines' fabled Lurline. And, yes, my love affair with ships has never waned with well over 300 crossings/cruises under my belt.

My first voyage with HAL was aboard the 1938 Nieuw Amsterdam - August 12, 1952 from Hoboken to Rotterdam.

Hi Cruise prn,

My first cruise (BL -- before Lauren) was also on the Starward in 1978, and we visited the same ports as you, with the addition of their private island. Port Antonio was so raw and wonderful -- I remember the people looking so healthy and happy.

My first cruise with Lauren was Celebrity's Horizon in 1993, and thats where the addiction really started.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Ship+Photo+Horizon.jpg

Horizon (1990-present) Delivered in 1990 to Celebrity Cruise Line as Horizon, the first of a two-ship class, her sister being Zenith. Sailed for X until 2005 when she was transferred to Island Cruises where she is currently sailing as Island Star

Ship+Photo+Island+Star.jpg

What was your first cruise ship? What cruise line, the year and the itinerary? (if you remember;) ) Did it get you hooked?

Ours was Royal Caribbean Cruise Line's m/s Viking Serenade, a converted car ferry, back in NOV 1991, a 3-day L.A. - Catalina Island - Esenada, Mexico - L.A. cruise. Never forget our first impressions - we were hooked from that day on!

GREAT THREAD!!

Wow....I am yet another one that sailed for the first time on the Viking Serenade and that exact itinerary!! Only ours was the following year -- Nov of '92. It was given to my as a SURPRISE by my now ex (it's ok-we're still great friends) for my XX b'day.......He was great.....He even packed and had us all ready....he took me out to lunch and then headed for the pier.....had it all set up with my boss.....

So.....YES!! I am STILL hooked!!! I would go ANYWHERE via ship!!

Our first cruise was on Carnival's "Holiday" in Nov., 1986. My husband won the trip on the game show, "Let's Make a Deal". It was a brand new ship at the time and they put us in one of the 10 top rooms which were called verandah suites and let us bring our 2 girls who were then 6 1/2 and 9. They also threw in several days at Disney World. It was a great trip.

Unfortunately, with raising kids and all, we never cruised again until May, 2001 on HAL's Ryndam southbound to Alaska and as my signature shows we are now "Hooked" and I am really addicted and addicted to reading as much as I can on cruise critic. Alaska has been my favorite place to cruise. The scenery in Alaska is so picturesque and peaceful to the psyche.

If I am not researching information for an upcoming cruise I feel like something is missing. Really bad! My husband doesn't care much where he cruises just as long as he is cruising.

You know the saying, "cruising is always better than not".

Don't remember the name of the ship but it was in the late 1960's. Do rremember that it was a converted troop transport from WWII. I will always remember that fathroom. You could sit on the commode, get a shower, and shave in the mirror all at the same time. It was that small. The beds were welded to the floor. We were way forward and when underway the porthole was under water.

First HAL cruise was on the Noordam in the 1980's. We will always love that ship. Got to sail on the new one sometime in the future...

Ruth & Jim

Ship+Photo+Horizon.jpg

Horizon (1990-present) Delivered in 1990 to Celebrity Cruise Line as Horizon, the first of a two-ship class, her sister being Zenith. Sailed for X until 2005 when she was transferred to Island Cruises where she is currently sailing as Island Star

Ship+Photo+Island+Star.jpg

Not to change the subject, but this picture with the twin towers in the background is just beautiful. Every time we sail out of NY and anytime we are crossing over into Manhattan--we can't help but look for them-- their absence is heartbreaking.