Colon Panama RCCL shore excursion, boat thru canal. Anyone done this?

brenderlou

We will be on the Jewel in March and one stop is Colon, Panama.

There is a RCCL shore excursion that is a boat ride thru a portion of the canal. It's a 6 hour tour including an hour bus ride to the boat and then back to the ship and includes a lunch buffet on the boat.

Was wondering if anyone has done this and what their thoughts on it was?

Was it a very long day? How was the boat (we've been on excursions where the boat was not in the best conditions!!!). Was the lunch buffet ok? Reason I ask that is we our traveling w/ my Mom and in-laws so want to make sure they have something to eat for lunch.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a great thread talking about the ups and downs of this excursion. I did this excursion as well last year during Halloween.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=19928150&highlight=#post19928150

Was it a very long day? Yes, it was. 2 hr ride to get there, 2 hrs on the canal, and 2 hr ride back. Watch your sugar intake and eat some protein so you can stay awake during the history lesson of the very knowledgeable guide. How was the boat (we've been on excursions where the boat was not in the best conditions!!!). Boat was a supersized 3-deck ferry, showing some wear. Very crowded. Was the lunch buffet ok? Yes, finger sandwiches, hot stir-fry, fresh fruit, veggies, pastries. Reason I ask that is we our traveling w/ my Mom and in-laws so want to make sure they have something to eat for lunch. I wish I would have considered packing some energy bars or protein bars. It does make for a long day.

Aside from everything, I truly loved this experience. Our kids hated it. If you are a history buff, or just in for a very relaxing ferry ride down the canal, this one is for you. Long day, yes. Worth every penny for me, yes.

We will be on the Jewel in March and one stop is Colon, Panama.

There is a RCCL shore excursion that is a boat ride thru a portion of the canal. It's a 6 hour tour including an hour bus ride to the boat and then back to the ship and includes a lunch buffet on the boat.

Was wondering if anyone has done this and what their thoughts on it was?

Was it a very long day? How was the boat (we've been on excursions where the boat was not in the best conditions!!!). Was the lunch buffet ok? Reason I ask that is we our traveling w/ my Mom and in-laws so want to make sure they have something to eat for lunch.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

We did this excursion last year. At the time, the Jewel went through the Gatun locks, after which we disembarked, and took a bus to where the boat waited for us. We went through the remaining locks on the boat to the Pacific. The boat is old and not fancy, but adequate. We were told it had been confiscated from criminals many years ago. The lunch buffet was okay, nothing special. It is set up on the lower level of the boat. I do think anyone with mobility issues would find it difficult to navigate easily between the different decks.

A bus was waiting for us in Panama City. The ride back was long, about two hours long, if memory serves me correctly.

We enjoyed the excursion very much.

NO! It is not a luxury trip! BUT! It is one that is worth the experience! There is no better way to experience one of man's greatest engineering feats! We have done it tiwce. It is hot, it is sticky, it is amazing! (The hot and sticky part.....that is because you are in Panama where it is always hot and sticky).

This is, without a doubt, a DO NOT MISS tour!!!!!

I did this excursion on the Jewel last year , I think it was January, 2008. It was an RCI excursion and it was far from the best. First the boat they put us on was awful, dirty, old, not well kept at all, could not see out some of the windows, they were covered with some plastic. I expected it to be hot, but with some of the window not being able to be opened, it was sweltering inside the boat, and if you were unlucky and got one of these seats, well you just had to put up with it. The seats outside were all taken. The lunch was not good at all, I suggest that you take your own if possible. And if your inlaw's have mobiity issues, they may not be able get around the boat to see any interesting sights along the way. And forget about using the bathroom, disgusting does not even begin to describe the situation. The bus ride back to the ship was long and we were delayed because of traffic. Was I dasappointed, yes but we still got to go thru the locks. Would I do it again, no, I would not. But I would do the same cruise again, just not that excursion.

We were lucky and one of the ports was Playa Del Carmen, loved it.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope you enjoy your cruise and excursions.

edited to add: buffet lunch??? it was only a sandwich and a soda.

Annieeee

To me, this excursion was a wonderful way to traverse the locks. You experience the locks in a way not possible on a big ship.

We were served a buffet, and while not huge, it was adequate and tasty.

I didn't care about that the boat was older, and less than luxurious. The experience was wonderful, and one I will never forget.

As mentioned in my earlier post, the only concern I would have is for elderly passengers with mobility issues.

Archived