Baie St. Jean

satchiesmom

• 1 month later...

We were in St. Barts for a day last week. We had a car, so I don't know how much a cab would cost to go anywhere, except that I've heard they're expensive! However, if it helps, we DID visit St. Jean's beach briefly, to see the planes land nearby at the airport. It only took a few minutes to drive from the port (well, where the ships tender their passengers - no real port!) to St. Jean. I can't imagine that a cab would be too terribly expensive, since it really isn't very far at all - but who knows in pricey St. Barts???! After we brought the car back, I walked from the tender drop-off to the dinky lighthouse at the top of a hill (have to use the street behind the main shopping street at the port/marina.) From there I walked to the circle above the airport where you can watch planes practically graze your head on the way to the airstrip. The whole walk only took about 30 minutes, although most was uphill so not easy. At that point it would probably be only another 15 minutes to get down to the beach! I would not advise walking this whole way - but just wanted to give you an idea of the distance between Gustavia and St. Jean - it's a quick car or taxi ride!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

We were there last Feb. and will be back this May. The taxi cost to St. Jean beach for 2 was $6.00 one way. On the way back we rode with an islander that was nice and gave us the ride. Have fun we do...:):)

We were there last week. It's $25 each way for a very short ride but they fill up each van with a bunch of people so you can split the cost. The only thing I will tell you is that there's a pushy lady at the taxi stand that tries to get you to buy an island tour and she isn't interested in getting you a cab just to go to the beach. So, make sure to talk to one of the island representatives that are waiting at the dock when you get off the tender. They are very helpful.

The beach is really nice. There are a few restaurants that rent out chairs and umbrellas and let you use their facilities. It helps to speak French.

We were there last week. It's $25 each way for a very short ride but they fill up each van with a bunch of people so you can split the cost. The only thing I will tell you is that there's a pushy lady at the taxi stand that tries to get you to buy an island tour and she isn't interested in getting you a cab just to go to the beach. So, make sure to talk to one of the island representatives that are waiting at the dock when you get off the tender. They are very helpful.

The beach is really nice. There are a few restaurants that rent out chairs and umbrellas and let you use their facilities. It helps to speak French.

Did you have any trouble getting a cab to take you back to the ship?

Boy, there's quite a difference between $6.00 one way and $25.00 one way! Whatever the fare, should we pay in euros or can we use US$? I was in St. Barts for a very short time a couple of years ago and wasn't able to do much, so I'm really looking forward to being there if only for a day.

Archived