Jewel of the Seas - general store

First time cruising on the Jewel on December 21st - what sort of items can you buy in the store - just in case we run out of anything - things like batteries for cameras, toothpaste etc. Any advice gratefully received as keeping luggage to the minimum!

You can buy pretty much everything you forgot. Toothpaste and toothbrushes, deodorant, cameras, batteries, Tylenol, mouthwash, sunscreen, razors etc etc. However, they cost more than you would normally pay.

You can purchase those (maybe the camera batteries will be at the camera store), but plan on paying a huge markup in comparison to your local drug or discount store. You will also have a choice of one.

In an emergency it's nice to have these items available. When were running low on shampoo and toothpaste on our Med cruise, they only carried White Rain shampoo and I think a brand of toothpaste that irritates my gums (whitening stuff). Instead we chose to pick those things up while on shore, they made great little reminders of the trip. Toothpaste from Venice and shampoo from Split, Croatia...a little hair salon we found while walking around. They didn't speak any English, so it was fun to use a sort of sign language.

I am not sure what you all see, but every time that I have gone to the general store "area" for something I have not seen to much in the way of selection or choice. It is generally one display section along a back wall with little or no choice - lucky if they have one brand of whatever you are looking for - toothpaste, etc. I think that is is one of the under served concepts on the ships - here you are out at sea, with no choice of where to go and they just dont seem to have anything to sell you.

Welcome to the forum. Good to have another Brit on board.

We were on Jewel earlier this year and the store was very basic and what was in stock was expensive. We shopped ashore mostly.

Suggest you pop into Boots or M&S and buy those little plastic bottles to fill up with your lotions and potions to save weight. If you're like me and remember what you've forgotten once you're on the plane you can always pop into a supermarket before you board.

Most of your ports of call will have stalls or shops by the pier.

First time cruising on the Jewel on December 21st - what sort of items can you buy in the store - just in case we run out of anything - things like batteries for cameras, toothpaste etc. Any advice gratefully received as keeping luggage to the minimum!

Just got off the ship....there are the essential's that you can get in the general store. However, if you'd prefer to pay less than the price's in the ships store and wait for a port day...here are my suggestion's.

Wait for Colon...there is a grocery store in the compound, you can buy the local beer cold for 41 cents US a can. a Budweiser for 69 cents. (In my hubby's mind, those are the essentials,) the soap, toothpaste, shampoo, chips, nuts, anything you want is right there. I bought battery's there for 1.59 for 2AA's, in Aruba they were $4.00...those were for my toothbrush for those of you that were wondering why I needed them. There's also an electronic store right as you get off the ship to get the camera stuff too. You will not go without, you can find all these things in Aruba, Grand Cayman and Colon and also in Cartagena. BTW, Cartagena is the most fabulous spot, so enjoy and Merry Christmas.

• 3 weeks later...
Welcome to the forum. Good to have another Brit on board.

We were on Jewel earlier this year and the store was very basic and what was in stock was expensive. We shopped ashore mostly.

Suggest you pop into Boots or M&S and buy those little plastic bottles to fill up with your lotions and potions to save weight. If you're like me and remember what you've forgotten once you're on the plane you can always pop into a supermarket before you board.

Most of your ports of call will have stalls or shops by the pier.

I hope you don't mind I took a peek at your JOS cruise pics and WOW! The pictures are fabulous! It think it was a combination of great photographer and a really sweet camera! After viewing your pics, I am so excited about my upcoming 3/10 cruise aboard of the JOS!! The pictures are picture perfect!

Archived