Veendam 'too big' to get into St Georges, Bermuda

Goldryder

I hope this does not mean missing St. Georges. I suppose tenders are in order. Diverting to the Dockyard would not be pleasant. Sailing through the cut is interesting and there used to be the town crier there to welcome ships.

If the Veendam draws too much water then there's not much HAL or St George authorities can do about it. Considering the Veendam is one of the S class HAL ships, which are the relatively smallest of the fleet, that means HAL and a lot of other cruise lines can't get their ships into St George. Of course that's assuming larger ships translates into deeper keels.

Docked in Hamilton for 4 Days would be fine. We did this several times back in the 90's on the X Zenith & Horizon, during adverse weather conditions (Heavy wind & Surf) Hamilton to St. George would be about a 75min High Speed Ferry Ride with a stop at the Dockyard.

DH & I are booked on the 5/30/10 trip. While we are very fond of St. Georges, we would much rather spend the whole time docked in Hamilton as an alternative to tendering! We can always take the bus (and we would!) to St. Georges.

Whether HAL confirms or refutes this info, I would think the final word would come from the local Bermuda authorities. And if they say it's too big, the Veendam won't be docking there.

Camp....... It was a simple question. I did not refute anything about the article or OP's post. I asked a question.

My question is 'Has HAL confirmed?"

Has HAL made a statement about this?

Can you provide a polite answer to that question or can someone else?

Thank you.

DH & I are booked on the 5/30/10 trip. While we are very fond of St. Georges, we would much rather spend the whole time docked in Hamilton as an alternative to tendering! We can always take the bus (and we would!) to St. Georges.

I'm with you on that one. Tendering is the pits. I too, hope that the solution is three nights in Hamilton.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

When we sailed the NCL Dream into St. Georges, we knew that it was the largest ship to have sailed through the Cut. Now, they removed the aft pool on the Veendam, so not sure what kind of tonnage that took away or how more tonnage was added. Below are the stats for both the NCL Dream and Veendam, the difference in GRT is 4994:

NCL Dream Type: Cruise Ship

GRT: 50764

Length: 754 ft

Beam: 94 ft

Speed: 21 knots

Registry: Bahamas

Passengers: 1748

Crew: 700

Veendam Type: Cruise Ship

GRT: 55758

Length: 720 ft

Beam: 101 ft

Speed: 22 knots

Registry: Netherlands

Passengers: 1258

Crew: 560

Should be interesting to see how the Bermuda Govt will deal with this since St. Georges and Hamilton are both hurting, and right now it seems that the Veendam is the only ship available to go to both ports. Maybe it's time to dredge the bottom of the Cut.

Camp....... It was a simple question. I did not refute anything about the article or OP's post. I asked a question.

Thank you.

Neither HAL nor Bermuda Government has confirm the story in the Bermuda Sun, but the facts are true. As far as I know the ship will anchor in Murray's Anchorage and passengers will be tendered into St George's on the large tender BERMUDIAN, not the ship's own tenders. It is about a 30 minute run for the ship, round St Catherine's and into St George's. Not the greatest way to get about and as the tender carries a max of 750 it will be interesting to see who decides who gets ashore first! My guess is those on tour and suit pax.

Homestly, I would prefer for the ship to be berthed alongside in Hamilton for four days. This will give the passengers so many options. No rush to do St Geo on the first day. No waiting for tenders. No getting stranded ashore... or aboard. It will just be much easier for everyone if the ship spends the entire visit in Hamilton. Of course the 'two port' concept is what sells, but the alternative ain't bad. There is always a bus or fast ferry service to St Geo from Hamilton.

Stephen

When we sailed the NCL Dream into St. Georges, we knew that it was the largest ship to have sailed through the Cut. Now, they removed the aft pool on the Veendam, so not sure what kind of tonnage that took away or how more tonnage was added. Below are the stats for both the NCL Dream and Veendam, the difference in GRT is 4994:

NCL Dream Type: Cruise Ship

GRT: 50764

Length: 754 ft

Beam: 94 ft

Veendam Type: Cruise Ship

GRT: 55758

Length: 720 ft

Beam: 101 ft

Should be interesting to see how the Bermuda Govt will deal with this since St. Georges and Hamilton are both hurting, and right now it seems that the Veendam is the only ship available to go to both ports. Maybe it's time to dredge the bottom of the Cut.

The problem is VEENDAM's greater beam and draught... made worse by the additional cabins aft.

Dredging Town Cut is out. It is solid rock and would have to be blasted and there are environmental concerns about widening the cut. It would allow swells to roll into the small harbour. No good. Even worse, it wwoudl allow some large and nasty RCI and NCL ships into St Geo and that would ruin the port!!!!

Stephen

Thank you.

It was not my intention to offer a rude or snarky response ...

The short answer: No, HAL has not confirmed this situation.

Seattle, December 16, 2009 – On Holland America Line’s 2010 Bermuda sailings, the ms Veendam will anchor and tender in to St. George’s on local ferries that carry 700 guests. This operational change was made due to challenges with the Town Cut and the narrow entrance to St. George’s Harbour. We believe this will be a very efficient tender process for our guests who are sailing to experience Bermuda and Holland America Line. We expect that they will enjoy touring, dining and shopping as planned both in St. George’s and in Hamilton where the ms Veendam will dock downtown for two-nights.

Holland America Line understands that a potential engineering project could eventually solve this issue and believes this would be a very proactive and business-friendly step the Government of Bermuda could take.

Seattle, December 16, 2009 – On Holland America Line’s 2010 Bermuda sailings, the ms Veendam will anchor and tender in to St. George’s on local ferries that carry 700 guests. This operational change was made due to challenges with the Town Cut and the narrow entrance to St. George’s Harbour. We believe this will be a very efficient tender process for our guests who are sailing to experience Bermuda and Holland America Line. We expect that they will enjoy touring, dining and shopping as planned both in St. George’s and in Hamilton where the ms Veendam will dock downtown for two-nights.

Holland America Line understands that a potential engineering project could eventually solve this issue and believes this would be a very proactive and business-friendly step the Government of Bermuda could take.

I am traveling with 2 wheelchair bound people who were looking forward to seeing St. George. Usually you can't take a 3 wheeled electric scooter on a tender. But this was described as a ferry. Will guests in wheelchairs be able to get on?

I hope something can be worked out that would allow wheelchair bound passengers to experience St. George. If not, myself and my 6 other passengers are going to have to cancel our reservation. It is pointless to travel to a port that you can't enjoy. I rather see the ship docked in Hamilton for the whole duration.

Thank you, Stephen and HAL PR, for reliable info.

It is disappointing news but not the end of the world. We liked being docked in St. George's when we were there last, a number of years ago. Tendering will never be as convenient as docking but tendering would not stop us from booking this cruise if all else was equal. :)

Thank you for the Official word!!:)

Joanie

I am traveling with 2 wheelchair bound people who were looking forward to seeing St. George. Usually you can't take a 3 wheeled electric scooter on a tender. But this was described as a ferry. Will guests in wheelchairs be able to get on?

I hope something can be worked out that would allow wheelchair bound passengers to experience St. George. If not, myself and my 6 other passengers are going to have to cancel our reservation. It is pointless to travel to a port that you can't enjoy. I rather see the ship docked in Hamilton for the whole duration.

I have been tendered on both Oosterdam and Westerdam with my 3 wheeled scooter on the ship's tenders with no problem.

Whoever told you they cannot is WRONG!!!!

Joanie

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAL_PR

Does this mean dredging? Is it being considered by Bermuda Government? How long would it take to complete the project if they decided to do it?

Stephen? Any ideas about this?

Archived