Beware when booking mini-suite on Pacific Dawn

davoni

I, personally, don't care where my cabin is as long as I"m on a ship but if people are fussy about location due to noise or other factors, it's probably a good idea to study the deck plans carefully before booking.

Gosh this post has me worried now. I am booked in inside cabin A155 for my cruise in April. I plan on being up quite late at night but hate being woken up in the morning.

I suggest taking ear plugs or ear putty - that should help. :)

Hi it was the PD W926 departed Sydney on Sept 25.

What about the poor people whose cabins were under the dome.P&O don't close the dome because its too noisy.I think if you cruise with 2000 others you should expect the noise.

Hi Mick,

We didn't ask for the staff to rope off this area and we did not expect it either. I think everyone has a right to enjoy their cruise without restrictions on where they can go, just as a reasonable few hours sleep should not be too much to ask.

The fault lies with the lack of soundproofing and there's probably not much that can be done about this now. My post was just to warn others about this. Some people are not bothered by it and some are, judging by the comments here.

We stayed in A141 and heard the odd noise from up above, but certainly nothing at all to taint our cruise. And I am a shocking sleeper at the best of times....although when on a cruise ship I do tend to sleep like a baby. Island night was fairly noisy but with the balcony door shut we heard very little. We would stay in any of the cabins along there again.

We even had the pleasure of the fire bell (?) on the wall opp our cabin in the hallway and without fail every night and day some dingbat walking past would hit it to make it ring. Just a ding and that was it. Hey, we weren't going to let that ruin our cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

We have a Mini Suite booked for next month I am sure it will be ok.

I have stayed down the Gold Coast in high rise Hotels where you get disturbed by neighbors and sirens down below every 5 minutes.

People are in Party mood and you have to expect some minor things.

If its too bad I will need to drink a bit more I guess.

:)

I have stayed down the Gold Coast in high rise Hotels where you get disturbed by neighbors and sirens down below every 5 minutes.

Hi Macca, which cruise are you going on next month?

Hi Macca, which cruise are you going on next month?

Just the three night Comedy Cruise with the PD, have not been on a Cruise since the Alexander Pushkin, thought I might try a sampler to see how its changed.

That's the spirit, Macca! :D

So true Macca. Some might as well have a holiday in a Resthome if they worry about noise so much.

Jillybean;)

So true Macca. Some might as well have a holiday in a Resthome if they worry about noise so much.

Jillybean;)

They say some Cruises ARE in fact Resthomes on water.

I asked a Travel agent about a World Cruise the other day and she mentioned many clients take them to die on, it really put me off. :eek:

I asked a Travel agent about a World Cruise the other day and she mentioned many clients take them to die on, it really put me off. :eek:

Chicken:p;):D

I take that with a grain of salt.

It used to happen with P&O UK, with their Med cruises, but now Insurance is compulsory, and if you dont take out your own P&O will include it for you or deny you boarding.Once you are over a certain age , the premiums become very steep.

Is Insurance compulsory on P&O and Princess Australia?

I take that with a grain of salt.

It used to happen with P&O UK, with their Med cruises, but now Insurance is compulsory, and if you dont take out your own P&O will include it for you or deny you boarding.Once you are over a certain age , the premiums become very steep.

Is Insurance compulsory on P&O and Princess Australia?

I dont think it is compulsory but all the literature say it is essential to take it out. I mean why wouldnt you..i read a heartbreaking thread on here a few months ago from a women whose husband had a heart attack, a couple of days before the cruise, and they lost everything. P&O or Princess refused to give them anything. What was even sadder, i think the husband had hired a limo to take them to the wharf, and everyone was saying if he had only used the money on insurance...:rolleyes:

On a recent long (6 week) cruise hubby and I felt like teenagers...despite being in wrong half of fifties.

Generally the longer the cruise the older the passengers. At every stop we were met by an ambulance and someone carried off..dont know what would have happened if it had been rough.

Join your roll call you wont notice the rest of "em. Mind you I hope I am still cruising along in my eighties (just happier than some senior cits I have met).

Hi All

We recently travelled on the Dawn and had mini suite A143 and our friends stayed in A145. It was very noisy.

No way to avoid it. Especially on island party night where they even go as far as sending you a written apology to your suite before the party starts!

The kids running on the deck sound like elephants underneath in the suite.

Unfortunately I don't think there is anything that can be done about it.

It is a very big oversight and poor design of the ship to have your most expensive cabins or any cabins beneath the loudest part of the ship. Ideally they should have something else on deck 11 so that the noise is absorbed. Not likely to have anything done about it now.....

We put up with it most of the time but by the end of the 10 days, we were seriously annoyed that we had paid so much for so much noise and really annoyed that the passengers had no regard when stomping around up there.:)

Hi All

We recently travelled on the Dawn and had mini suite A143 and our friends stayed in A145. It was very noisy.

No way to avoid it. Especially on island party night where they even go as far as sending you a written apology to your suite before the party starts!

The kids running on the deck sound like elephants underneath in the suite.

Unfortunately I don't think there is anything that can be done about it.

It is a very big oversight and poor design of the ship to have your most expensive cabins or any cabins beneath the loudest part of the ship. Ideally they should have something else on deck 11 so that the noise is absorbed. Not likely to have anything done about it now.....

We put up with it most of the time but by the end of the 10 days, we were seriously annoyed that we had paid so much for so much noise and really annoyed that the passengers had no regard when stomping around up there.:)

Interesting reading. Are you saying that only the 'odd' numbered Suites are the only ones that hear the noise. Or is it generally no matter what side of the ship your Suite is?

Jillybean:)

This thread is really concerning me. I don't know whether to change our booking to a balcony instead of the mini suite. Is it going to be as bad as some of you have said?

I was begining to think the same, however, I think we should experience the Suite for ourselves first.

The way this thread is going maybe there should be reviews on the 'Suite' by number on Pacific Dawn, then maybe we can decide once and for all which are the more desirable suites overall to choose on this ship.

I was begining to think the same, however, I think we should experience the Suite for ourselves first.

The way this thread is going maybe there should be reviews on the 'Suite' by number on Pacific Dawn, then maybe we can decide once and for all which are the more desirable suites overall to choose on this ship.

I will give you my appraisal of Cabin A164 in 3 weeks time that is if I can remember hearing any noises above :)

If there is too much partying up there I may have to go and join them till they finish.

Hi,

now I am really nervous. I have booked a mini suite A152 port mid ship for our 25th anniversary. Haven't been on holidays for years and am saving hard for this bit of luxury. We just want to be able to sit on the balcony drinking a coffee (or cocktail) in the afternoons. I am quite noise sensitive and am now worried that I have spent so much more money when I would be better off on another deck in a smaller cabin. When booking the cruise, I phoned P&O and had no idea which area to book and the operator told me to book mid ship port on Aloha as they were the better areas. What to do? What other decks have people stayed on that they think are the best and for what reasons...closer to the dining room...closer to the pool...any advice much appreciated

Vicki

Hi,

now I am really nervous. I have booked a mini suite A152 port mid ship for our 25th anniversary. Haven't been on holidays for years and am saving hard for this bit of luxury. We just want to be able to sit on the balcony drinking a coffee (or cocktail) in the afternoons. I am quite noise sensitive and am now worried that I have spent so much more money when I would be better off on another deck in a smaller cabin. When booking the cruise, I phoned P&O and had no idea which area to book and the operator told me to book mid ship port on Aloha as they were the better areas. What to do? What other decks have people stayed on that they think are the best and for what reasons...closer to the dining room...closer to the pool...any advice much appreciated

Vicki

I am a bit nervous too, but I will wait and see what other members report back. You can't judge everything on one or two opinions.

It is still a cruise, better than work.

My question is to Davoni and others who have noticed noise in the mini-suites.

We are staying in Minisuite A161 for our cruise in March 2010.

Does the noise seem to be echoing through the ceiling or through the doors to the balcony?

Davoini did shuting the doors to the balcony ebb the problem? and are you ushally a light sleeper. Additionally, were you expecting complete silence when in the minisuite or was the noise that loud it was intolerable?

I look forward to seeing the photos you add of the minisuite, do you have any of the bathroom, particularly the bath.

Regards,

Ross.

Hi Rossco, here is a link to some great photos of the dawn including bathrooms http://www.cruise-australia.net/pacificdawn-photo3.htm

Cheers

Vicki

Archived