Seeking Opinions/Reviews for Samana, Dominican Republic Excursions

SNeffy

I am cruising on Royal Caribbean’s Explorer of the Seas February 5 – 14, 2010 and am interested in the following excursions being offered through RC:

Whale Watching Expedition and Beach Escape – Samana, Dominican Republic

Sea Lion Encounter at Cayo Levantado – Samana, Dominican Republic

Has anyone experienced any of these excursions? If so, would you mind sharing your experience(s) and opinion(s) of your adventure?

Whale Watching Expedition and Beach Escape – Samana, Dominican Republic

Sea Lion Encounter at Cayo Levantado – Samana, Dominican Republic

Can't comment on the Whale Watching/Beach Escape because that excursion was not offered on our trip....too early for the whales.

Those that took the Cayo Levantado trip loved it, although I heard a few negative discussions about the Sea Lion Encounter.

We did a tour with Terry and had a wonderful time.

Whatever you decide, decide to do something. Samana is a port that you will hate unless you have a tour booked.

• 3 years later...

Nowadays online in 2013, you will find on TRIP ADVISOR the largest numbers of OPINIONS / REVIEWS on Things to Do in Samana and all the ACTIVITIES & TOURS for your Cruise Ship visiting the Port of Samana.

Here is the link to TRIP ADVISOR REVIEWS:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g811253-Activities-Santa_Barbara_de_Samana_Samana_Province_Dominican_Republic.html

STEVE

Tour Guide in Samana Peninsula

Hi All,

I Just got back from the DR on the Norwegian Gem. We did the zip lining tour #11 with Terry. This was by far our favorite port. We were met at the dock by Terry him self and were soon on our way to the zip line park. Everything was in perfect condition and we didnt feel unsafe at all. After zip lining we were led to the waterfall where we spent time swimming and talking to some of the locals that were there. We then hopped back on the bus and were taking to a local beach where a couple of local women prepared an AMAZING lunch of fish, chicken, rice and bean, Dominican potato salad and plantains and fresh coffee. After we went to the beach we were taken back to a local village for a cultural presentation where people from the village bring something they have made. Here we were able to sample fresh cocoa, mama juana (a special drink) fresh hot chocolate and coffee, and they also had a lot of what you tasted for sale but were not in any way pressured to buy. We were promptly brought back to the cruise terminal in time for our last tender. He has never had anyone miss the last tender back in the five years he has been doing this.

Overall this was the best excursion we have done on a cruise. All of your drinks from water, soda, beer and rum were all included and also all of the food and the price is significantly cheaper for what is included in your day. Terry the owner is an amazing guy and has a very good relation with the locals or as he said his friends. He really takes pride in sharing the rich beauty and friendly people the country has to offer. I would recommend anyone thinking of staying on the ship during this port to reconsider and book with Terry. You will not be disappointed!

ps if you do book an excursion with him he also takes donations for supplies and will drop them off at local schools. Me and my girlfriend brought 2 backpacks stuffed with things and he was so happy to drop them off for us.

I was on the same tour with my GF and couldn't agree more. If it was last Friday, I was on your tour! The zipline was safe, the operators very professional and Terry and his wife were amazingly insightful and gracious.

Fair warning, I work for Cruise Critic. Consider these just my opinions.

Archived