Weather in Jerusalem first of February?

We'll be finishing our Middle East Nile Cruise and time in Egypt, Jordan and Israel in Jerusalem the first week of February.

How chilly will it be? We're Canadian so used to icy cold but don't want to drag along winter jackets. Would layering gortex jacket (water resistant) and fleecy be sufficient? Would we need gloves and scarves?

We'll be bringing along our lighter clothes for Egypt and Jordan and parts of Israel.

I know even the experts out there can't make exact predictions but I want to enjoy this time in Israel and not be miserably cold.

Thanks

The waterproof layer over fleece will be perfect for Jerusalem in February, even at night (tho' you might need a warm underlayer at night, too). It will still be the rainy season, so you may experience a mix of rainy and sunny days, but icy weather is fairly rare in the area (although we do get a touch of snow most winters, and a snowstorm every few years- but, then again, we also often get into the upper 60's on some winter days). I'd bring the hat, scarf, and gloves, though- they are easy to pack, and if you run into any rainy, windy winter weather you'll be happy to have them.

Other than a few other areas in Israel (Safed, Rosh Pina, other parts of the Gallilee, and the Golan Heights- which all can get snow-, the rest of the country is rainy but not too cold in the winter, and Eilat is warm.

[i have a feeling that unless you're from Vancouver, you will find Israeli winters to be pleasantly mild ;)]

BTW- the weather in Amman is colder than in Jerusalem, with more snow. A few years ago, my husband got stuck in Amman for 3 days during a blizzard.

HTH!

Thanks Paul and Happy Trailer for confirming my research and suspicions.

We're in the midst of a blowing snow blizzard so things can only improve once we leave in just a week plus.

We'll be able to use the scarf and gloves getting to Canadian airports so they won't be a burden.

For us this is the trip of a life-time.

Archived