Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BJS

"Norwalk Virus" on the Diamond Princess

Just to let any of you boarding the Diamond Princess tomorrow that there has been an increased incidence of norovirus on the cruise this week (1/7-15/05). :( Despite frequent handwashing DH came down with it on day 4 of the cruise. Last night, day 5, a letter was sent out to everyone telling that there has been an increased amout of illness the past two days.

They quarantee the ill to their cabin for the remainder of the cruise, for 48 hours after symptoms are gone you are still contagious, and have a special crew that takes care of the stateroom and delivers room service for the "sick" cabins. If you are ill your shore excursions are canceled. Family and those traveling with the "sick" person are not restricted in anyway. You are able to order off the dining room menu for room service. There is a special bland menu that is recommended for the sick person should they even feel like eating anything but they can also order what ever they want.

There was a hand sanitizer machine in the Horizon Court but apparently that has not been enough. The medical care for the ill, free of charge, includes injections and medications plus a cab to LAX and special - first off- disembarking procedures.

This is not to frighten anyone but please wash, wash, wash your hands and avoid handrails and the Horizon Court when ever possible so that you will remain well for your cruise. There is an increased amount of cleaning of handrails apparent today.

Thanks for the heads up...and for the info on how those who are sick are dealt with. We don't leave until Feb., but will remember your advice. I carry hand sanitizers all the time and use them frequently when soap and hot water is not close at hand. I have asthma and any kind of a virus gives me a double whammy, so I am very, very careful. Hopefully your advice will be heeded by those who usually don't pay much attention -- especially to the need for frequent hand washing!

How does staff on a cruise lines determine who is sick and who should be stayin gin their cabin?? I am guessing whenthey put out those notes to ask people to stay put for 24 hours they are using the honor system??

When I developed Norwark on THe Sun last year the ships doctor told me to stay in my cabin for 48 hours.... or be put off the ship at the next port.

We thought the addition of the hand sanitizer in the Horizon Court was a great idea. But we were absolutely astounded by the number of people who blantently refused to use it -- some argued that they weren't sick, while others said they didn't want that "stuff" on their hands. An ounce of prevention goes a long way...

We were on the 12/28 Coral which also had a lot of NovoVirus. My husband got it and was quarantined for 48 hours, but it was honor system. We didn't get any special disembarkation priviledges. Maybe because so many people were sick, they couldn't grant everyone special priviledges.

We were on the 12/28 cruise of the Coral princess and the virus was also on board there. Luckily, nobody in our group became ill. Princess was really good about making sure that everyone sanitized their hands. We were not able to serve ourselves in the Horizon court. The cabin stewards were wearing masks and the ship was constantly being cleaned and sanitized.

Alice, I just read you message. I can't believe that your husband was ill. Wasn't he working most of the trip? No wonder I did not see you much after our cc get together. I am sorry to hear that he was ill as I know you almost had to cancel the trip. Hope you are both better. Lori

How does staff on a cruise lines determine who is sick and who should be stayin gin their cabin?? I am guessing whenthey put out those notes to ask people to stay put for 24 hours they are using the honor system??

If you got the virus would you keep it a secret or report yourself to the medical staff.

We're on the Diamond Princess next Saturday 1/22! :eek: Thanks for the heads up. I will try to keep my hands away from my face. I'm a freak about handwashing and we do plan on eating in the Horizon Court often. I plan on putting in some Clorox wipes too.....:eek:

We're on the Diamond Princess next Saturday 1/22! :eek: Thanks for the heads up. I will try to keep my hands away from my face. I'm a freak about handwashing and we do plan on eating in the Horizon Court often. I plan on putting in some Clorox wipes too.....:eek:

Hope you have better luck than I ,Good Luck.

We were on the Dec. 29 thru Jan. 8 sailing of the Diamond. I was happy to see hand sanitizers in the Horizon Court - BUT - much to my surprise, only about 1 out of 10 people used it!!!!! My grandson and I ALWAYS did, but I couldn't believe the people that didn't. Don't they realize it's for their protection?

Outbreaks have also been connected to drinking water and recreational water from pools, ponds or lakes where swimmers could have ingested water contaminated with feces from an infected person.

We had this discussion a couple days back where there was poop in the swimming pool on one of Princess' cruise ships. I talked to a pharmacist a few minutes ago, and he recommended that we take some ImmodiumAD along with us just in case. He said other than that, cancel your trip because that's what he would do! :eek: We're not cancelling!!! I'll take every precaution I can and roll with the flow....so to speak.

Outbreaks have also been connected to drinking water and recreational water from pools, ponds or lakes where swimmers could have ingested water contaminated with feces from an infected person.

We had this discussion a couple days back where there was poop in the swimming pool on one of Princess' cruise ships. I talked to a pharmacist a few minutes ago, and he recommended that we take some ImmodiumAD along with us just in case. He said other than that, cancel your trip because that's what he would do! :eek: We're not cancelling!!! I'll take every precaution I can and roll with the flow....so to speak.

Your pharmacist actually recommended that you cancel your cruise based on the information here that some people have Norovirus. Wow that seems pretty extreme. I wouldn't cancel my trip....I would be extra extra careful, bring buckets of Purel, avoid the buffet and not shake hands though.

As far as reporting illness when you get it I do believe all of the ships staff are really taught to keep a close eye out for illness. When we were on the Star I ran out of medication and asked my steward how to get to the ships doctor. Our steward immediately started questioning me with very specific questions....was I ill, how long had I been ill, was my tummy all right etc. I reassured him that I just needed some routine medication that I had forgotten to pack but even later that day he wanted to know if I was okay and had I seen the doctor etc.

Norovirus Activity --- United States, 2002

from

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5203a1.htm

Most of the outbreaks have been in institutional settings such as nursing homes and correctional facilities

from

http://www.promedmail.org/pls/askus/f?p=2400%3A1001%3A512716%3A%3ANO%3A%3AF2400_P1001_BACK_PAGE%2CF2400_P1001_PUB_MAIL_ID%3A1000%2C20533

If you got the virus would you keep it a secret or report yourself to the medical staff.

From what people that have had it say, I think it is quite hard to keep it secret. I think your cabin steward would figure that one out. If you are that sick you probably won't want to leave your cabin either. Don't know--Don't want to find out.

If we avoid the buffet, why would we not get the virus from the dining room food if we went there for BLD. Should we avoid eating anything cold from either the dining room or buffet? I've never worried before about getting the virus, but seeing that we're going to be on the Diamond next Saturday, I am concerned. I did purchase some Purel and some Lysol spray for our room. I'm not staying at home and missing this cruise...no way.

I have had this twice on cruises, and several times while my children were in school or while I was teaching.

The last time, on Xpedition, I was violently ill and could not have left the vicinity of the facilities for the first 15 hours. However, after that, as long as I didn't eat, I could have left my cabin. I knew that I was contagious, and, except for about thirty minutes, (when the doctor told me to get some fresh air and tea), I did stay inside my cabin. That doctor was unwilling to investigate the possibility that a Noro virus was the problem.

As long as there is no incentive to staff to require passengers to isolate themselves, some people will decide to leave the cabin because no one wants to miss their expensive and short vacation.

I think the CDC requirements do provide that incentive to ships that come into an American (or Canadian) port.

If we avoid the buffet, why would we not get the virus from the dining room food if we went there for BLD.

You have a much higher risk of contracting this from the buffet rather than the dining room due to the fact that so many folks are in close contact with the food in the buffet. Not everyone is as clean as you and I are. On the Star I saw people pickup food with their bare hands and then put it back. I immediately notified one of the staff but still I am sure it happens often!! Since the virus is spread through direct contact the less hands that touch your food the better!! Don't worry I am sure you trip will be fine. :)

You can get it from the serving spoons in the buffet area. I wonder if that how I caught it ?

I ate lunch in the dining room for the rest of my trip.

We went on the Diamond in October I came down with it Thursday we were offered special disembarkation I think I got this in one of the dining rooms.

Those anti-bacterial lotions such as Purell do not thwart viruses.

They're not anti-viral lotions; merely anti-bacterial.

On the bottle it says kills 99.9% of germs, but on the back of the

bottle it is very specific to bacteria only.

Norwalk is strictly viral.