How formal on formal night?

dcherry

The Guys in our group did not do dresses either, on most ships formal is less than it used to be, The Oasis has been is no different over the past few sailings.

How formal are people dressing on the formal dining nights? I have some in my group that don't do gowns or even dresses.

Actually my husband has decided he wants to wear a tux on this upcoming Oasis cruse.:confused: Nowadays, I just suggest he wear one on Celebrity or HAL. But for some reason he seems to want to wear it.

I hope he doesn't feel too out of place.:o

How formal are people dressing on the formal dining nights? I have some in my group that don't do gowns or even dresses.

Formal night is whatever you want to wear. This past cruise I wore a long gown because I had gone to a formal wedding during the summer of 2009 and wanted to use again. However, that has not always been the case. I have worn cocktail dresses on some cruises and I have worn a regular dress on others and still others nice pants and tops. If there are two formal nights, I usually get more dressed up on the second one that week. Not like it used to be years ago.

Usually if we are going to dining room or specialty restaurant on formal night, we get dressed up but change right after dinner anyway. In October, 2010, we will be having a family reunion and plan to take some portraits so this time, we all plan to get dressed up.

I have been on 12 RCCL cruises and also sailed on other lines. The past several years it is whatever you want to wear. Only rule is no shorts or blue jeans in the dining room on any night. (However, people do try it.)

Happy Cruising.

my 6 yr old son will be wearing a tux on our 3/27/10 cruise...he loves the attention he gets from all the ladies :)

I love it !! AT 62 I still love to dress up for the same reason. I throw on the suit at the drop of a hat.

... I still love to dress up for the same reason ("the attention he gets from all the ladies"). I throw on the suit at the drop of a hat.

And I'll bet it's a perfectly-fitted elegant brimmed felt in a stylish color, too, which you've taken off since it goes with your daywear rather than your evening wear.

Or! It could have been the authentic Panama you might bring for a tropical itinerary ...

Baseball-capped mallrats, eat your hearts out!

I love it !! AT 62 I still love to dress up for the same reason. I throw on the suit at the drop of a hat.

LOL Thats adorable!

I love to dress up, There will be some who dress up formally, and some who dont... There were enough people on our cruise who dressed formally where we didnt feel out of place!

Normally, my husband will wear a suit for the formal nights but we have recently been taking cruises with country club casual itineraries. Can he get by with a jacket and dress pants?

He can get by with blue jeans and a t-shirt if he's not uncomfortable being dressed down when the majority are typically dressed up. RCI really doesn't care what he wears.

Only rule is no shorts or blue jeans in the dining room on any night. (However, people do try it.)

Happy Cruising.

There is NO rule against blue jeans. I've seen them in the MDR to many times, even on formal night.

Here is a photo of a sign posted outside the MDR with the Guest Code of Conduct regarding attire for the MDR. you may also note that there appears to be no rule against shorts in the MDR either. At least there is no mention of short in the English version on the sign.

2519947400056845759S600x600Q85.jpg

The Guys in our group did not do dresses either, on most ships formal is less than it used to be, The Oasis has been is no different over the past few sailings.

None of the guys in our group wear dresses either, we wear suits or tuxes and the women usually wear dresses.

A nice tux that you can wear over and over and over is $150 at JC Penny's. I mean..come on..put a little style into the cruise! I'm looking forward to wearing a tux on both formal nights on our Jan 16th cruise. I even bought a little baby tux for my 8 month old son! :)

We're on the same cruise as you. DH is also wearing his tux.:)

There is NO rule against blue jeans. I've seen them in the MDR to many times, even on formal night.

Here is a photo of a sign posted outside the MDR with the Guest Code of Conduct regarding attire for the MDR. you may also note that there appears to be no rule against shorts in the MDR either. At least there is no mention of short in the English version on the sign.

2519947400056845759S600x600Q85.jpg

I have been on two RCCL ships where people were asked not to enter the dining room with shorts on. I was there to hear it. Not a rumor. The ships were the Liberty and the Magesty

I personally think that dressing up is great and love to see others do so as well. The reason more people might be opting out of the formal wear might have to do with all the crazy airline charges. We usually travel with three large suitcases, but are trying to get down to two. Just because of the extra airline fees.

I personally think that dressing up is great and love to see others do so as well. The reason more people might be opting out of the formal wear might have to do with all the crazy airline charges. We usually travel with three large suitcases, but are trying to get down to two. Just because of the extra airline fees.

Laurie7, absolutely agree with you. We love to get dressup but the extra bag fees are making it hard. We too are trying to cut down to two checked bags and two carry-on bags that we would normally check.

Mafig - see you there!! :)

Have you joined our roll call yet?

If not....go down to roll calls, find Royal Caribbean, then find Oasis and join us.:) That way you'll get an invitation to our Meet and Mingle.

In 2007 we renewed our wedding vows on the ship and the ceremony was on the last formal night so we wore our wedding attire and it was fun. Try dragging a dress all over the airport that must weigh 20 pounds :eek: and then making sure that no one else put their stuff in the overhead with your dress.

113205276_FrankandEdnainDiningRoom.jpg.ca36cbcd4add8a8a17d7a156e764aadc.jpg

I have been on two RCCL ships where people were asked not to enter the dining room with shorts on. I was there to hear it. Not a rumor. The ships were the Liberty and the Magesty

Since I've read, but have never seen, anyone in shorts in the dining room, I'm wondering what RCI's definition of shorts might be.

When we were at the vatican in Italy, they have a "no shorts" rule like RCI. There was one guy in our tour group who apparently did not get that message and wore shorts that day. There's a market for cheap slacks on the street to accomadate people who "forget".

In this guys case, the tour guide looked at his shorts and the shirt he was wearing and advised him to pull his shorts down until they covered his knee caps. So long as the knee caps were covered, he was OK. He looked stupid with his shorts half way down his backside but, his long shirt covered all the important parts and his "shorts" covered his knee caps. The vatican didn't look twice at him and he was allowed to enter.

So I'm wondering if the "shorts" that have been reported on these threads as being allowed in the dining room are judged by vatican standards. If they cover the knee caps, they're OK. If they're above the knee caps, they're not OK. While I'm not comfortable wearing shorts to dinner, even on casual nights, I am tempted to test this theory as most of the shorts I own are long enough that they cover the knee caps.

Archived