does this port require a yellow fever vaccination to disembark?

Yinger

Will be arriving Jan 28 on Celebrity Constellation. Did not know to get a vaccine, now its almost too late, cruise documents say we "may" be unable to leave the ship if the vaccination certificate is not presented.

It would be best if you specified the port for which you request information, but I'll assume you mean Cartagena since it is the most visited port.

When we visited Cartagena in 2008 there were no health inspections required as a condition for disembarkation. The country of Colombia does have yellow fever, and many other countries require a yellow fever vaccination as a condition for entry for those who have visited Colombia or other countries with yellow fever. However, out passports were not stamped by Colombian officials so it would be difficult for other border officials to know of out visit there (but no worry for us . . . we have been vaccinated).

As for the health necessity of being vaccinated, that is best answered by your health professional. Many people believe that cruise passengers are at low risk from contracting the disease (based on the absence of mosquitoes in the city and the times at which cruise passengers are in port), but your on land itinerary and timing may affect those factors. Again, check with your health professional.

Celebrity shows the Constellation in Cartagena on Jan 28. I was very pleasantly surprised by the city. It's a wonderful port.

When we called at Cartagena last January a Yellow fever vaccination was not required. It was not easy to figure this out. My cruise line was unwilling to be definitive and the contract is quite explicit that it's up to the passenger to have what is required.

Cartagena does not require YF vaccination certificate.

However, if you visit Costa Rica and Honduras after having visited Cartagena then in theory Costa Rica and Honduras would require YF vaccination certificate as you visited a country with YF risk.

That is our itinerary on Equinox.

I did not think we will encounter mosquitoes on our Cartagena tour of walled city in January, but now discovered there is a chance we could not be able to disembark in the other 2 ports.

I called Celebrity and apparently if you are on an excursion in Cartagena your passport will not get stamped and thus there should be no problems in Costa Rica and Roatan.

I wonder what was other cruisers experience with that?

Cartagena does not require YF vaccination certificate.

However, if you visit Costa Rica and Honduras after having visited Cartagena then in theory Costa Rica and Honduras would require YF vaccination certificate as you visited a country with YF risk.

That is our itinerary on Equinox.

I did not think we will encounter mosquitoes on our Cartagena tour of walled city in January, but now discovered there is a chance we could not be able to disembark in the other 2 ports.

I called Celebrity and apparently if you are on an excursion in Cartagena your passport will not get stamped and thus there should be no problems in Costa Rica and Roatan.

I wonder what was other cruisers experience with that?

My itinerary last January was, in part, Cartagena, Cristobol (Panama), and Puerto Limon (Costa Rica). We did not have to present our passports to debark in any of these ports and the Costa Rican authorities, knowing that the ship had called at Cartagena, did not (as far as I know) prevent anyone from debarking.

• 2 months later...

The passport has his current last name. My hubs and mine. Yes that is right. They would have no reason to ask for it as we all have the same last name. They would just assume that he is both of our bio son That's wonderful - have a great trip!! :)

Clark

mcdst

USA

• 1 month later...

If YF shot is required for a port, my experience is that they dont even allow you aboard at embarkation. In 2003, we left approx 20 people in FLL who did not read their cruise paperwork ( It was very specific for our cruise that visited Brazil, must have the shot or not allowed to board) They had to pay an expensive fee to have a last minute vaccination and then had to fly to Barbados at thier own expense to catch up with the ship 3 days later

• 4 weeks later...

Yellow Fever is a single injection, and takes 10 days to take effect .

The injection is highly recommended for all travellers to South America. Countries especially succeptible are Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay & Bolivia.

Brazil and Bolivia require presentation of the original International Certificate of Yellow Fever Innoculation (not a Copy) on Entry . Brazil will not issue Visas for entry unless the Itinerary is presented, and if the traveller arrives in Brazil via a suspect area or country then the Certificate has to be tendered with the Visa application . Safer to have the injection, saves a lot of admin hassle, and protects your health .

• 1 month later...

Archived