Prinsendam 2005 World Tour... it has begun

Grumpy1

Christiano,

Welcome to the Boards from another Aussie. I am sure you will enjoy reading and gaining knowledge from everyone. The Prinsendam is a lovely ship and we enjoyed our time on her in October sailing from Piraeus via the Black Sea to Venice. If you have any questions regarding her, please ask away.

Jennie

Hi Aussie Girl,

thank you for the welcome, greatly appreciated and I have watched with interest your many postings over the last month or so and thank you I will ask.

cheers,

Cristiano.

PS I love Melbourne........

Prinsendam 2005 Page 3

Good morning, virtual cruisers, one and all. After a quick scan of the messages and replies to my previous posts, it's time for an update. Thank you all for your comments. We wish we could respond to each post, but we're trying not to use up all 1100 minutes the first week... There's not too much going on... a big empty ocean outside and we're still about 300 NM from Cartegna. Slinkie headed off to the spa this morning to get her hair done (tonight's the first formal night and she wants to look her absolute best... no objections from Grumpy.... We'll report back on the percentages of tuxedo vs suits vs blue jeans and shorts later.

JHannah, we did find the navigation channel, finally. The TV guide showed up last night. Channel 40 is navigation, safety and a little other misc information. It wasn't operating the first day or so, and isn't always up to date. A few minutes ago it said we were still 800 NM from Cartegena; Grumpy's GPS says 300.

We mentioned to Suki yesterday that we would like a deck chair for our verandah. We came back from dinner last night and we have TWO deck chairs. With the two wicker chairs that were there and a small wicker table, we now have a rather full verandah.

We're happy to report that the hot water and A/C problems on the Main Deck seem to have been solved, well maybe not too happy, there goes Grumpy's rent-a-shower money making scheme....he'll think of something else...

Since there have been quite a few requests in the past for information about the aft cabins on Promenade Deck, your intrepid explorers have ventured into tha area to ascertain the facts. The center aft cabins, 198 and 199, have verandahs that are enclosed with smoked glass. You can see into them as you walk by, but it is somewhat dimmed by the smoked glass. The corner cabins, 196 and 197, have verandahs on the side of the ship with a steel wall separating the verandah from the aft deck area. the aft wall of the cabin is a floor to ceiling mirrored glass window. There are drapes to cover them from the inside and they were either completely drawn or the mirrored coating is quite effective as we could not see anything inside the cabins. We'll wander by sometime after dark and see what happens when the lights in the cabin are brighter than the light outside. Most mirrored glass becomes fairly transparent under those conditions. We hope Grumpy doesn't wind up in the brig accused of being a peeping Tom....There are ropes from the rails of the stairs to other railings so that you can't walk through that area, but if you walk down the stairs from the upper Promenade deck you are right there. The ropes keep you from continuing down to the lower Promenade deck, though, so it discourages people from using that route to move up or down between decks. The aft deck seems like a very large area to be "private" for a total of ten cabins. I think that some others do use the area, though.

The new chairs have been removed from the aft Lido deck and the old green and gold chairs returned. It must have been too much work trying to keep the new chairs somewhere close to the tables on the aft deck.The area surrounding the Lido pool, which is protected from the wind, does have the new chairs, matching chaise lounges and new tables.

We continue to be impressed by the staff. The Maitre' d is now greeting us by name. The wait staff is so very friendly and courteous. But then they don't know ol' Grumpy that well yet...

We met a couple in the Crow's Nest lounge yesterday. Married 52 years, both in their mid eighties. They have been on 6 world cruises, and have over 800 days on HAL. Her comment was "This is our nursing home." Way to go!

The XM satellite radio lost reception sometime during the night, so it appears that the coverage from the satellite cuts off somewhere south of Jamaica and the Dominican Republic areas. East and West Caribbean is OK, but southern isn't.

We hope to be able to start posting about shore excursions one of these days... but we did get a letter from the captain apologizing for the missed port and informing us that we will be reimbursed for the $13.22 port charge...now we can have another drink or two in the Crow's Nest...and we did get a complimentary glass of champagne with dinner last night... maybe they figure that if they can keep us drunk we won't notice a missed port here and there...

For those that just have to know about children on board, so far we have seen one...a really cute little blond princess that is about 5 or 6 years old. She just happens to be the captain's daughter.... other than her, most of the passengers have passed the half century mark... lot's that are waaaay past...

Time to post this and head off to eat... again... seems like we do a lot of that ....

Grumpy and Slinkie

Dear Grumpy & Slinkie,

Count me in as another voracious devourer of your information on Prinsendam, as we will be sailing on her on September 20! I too am interested in your research on those aft promenade cabins as we are booked into AA193. While my questions don't pertain to those very rear cabins (196, 197, 198, 199), possibly when you continue your further research on them, you might scope out the hallway where 193 is located, and report any possible noise and smoke issues from Explorer's Lounge, especially in the evening hours. Also, if you observe or hear of any water/electric/?? issues that have plagued other parts of the ship also plaguing this part, we'd really appreciate it. Perhaps your lost revenue from selling hot water & showers can be made up by your private detective duties for the rest of us! Thank you so much for your research and your thoroughly enjoyable reports!

Hello Grumpy and Slinkie!

THANK YOU so much for being our "peeping Tom" (peeping Grumpy?)!!! You finally answered the question that I've had for over a year. I do appreciate your sleuthing for us very very much!:cool: Hope you enjoy your first formal night!

P.S. Grumpy- I have a hard time believing you are "Grumpy", you seem to have such a lovely view on life!:)

We will be joining you on the 29th. Jan.and counting the days. Your daily journal is making it very very exciting for us. We have been on the Prinsendam twice before once from Sydney to Hong Kong and then Hong Kong to Fort Lauderdale and this time ALL THE WAY!. Captain Gunderson and his beautiful wife Lisa certainly do have a princess of a daughter her name is Isabelle. Last year Isabelle tried to teach me to swim,she does not know it yet but she will still be teaching me to swim!. The friends we have made on this ship from stern to bowe staff and passengers are wonderful. Thank you again for your updates.

Hi, Grumpy. I know how fast those minutes can add up, so I'm very thankful for your posts. Imagine how many pages/replies/views this thread can get to in the course of a World Cruise!

Please say "Hi" to Jennifer for me (and thanks to Shipcafe for noting she is cruise staff for this voyage). She's a doll.

Also, if you should happen to stop in the Crow's Nest and spend some time some evening, would you report on who is playing in there?

I heard that last year Vangie was doing the honors. If she's back please give her my regards, too. I haven't seen her since the final voyage of the ss Rotterdam, so she may not remember me, but I remember her quite well.

Grumpy, thank you so much for your graciousness in including me (and everyone else) in your virtual world cruise. I never thought I would be doing one and now I am (at least by email).

Grumpy and Slinky, have a great time and enjoy this trip which is assuredly one of life's greatest treats. Calm seas, blue skies, good friends, tasty food and memorable travels.

Aussie Gal,

I should have know that it was the Prinsendam, she sure has a sharply raked bow. She looks like a race horse :) I am glad you told me about the tower, I thought that it a strange appendage for the top of a ship ;) My DW and I visited Venice during a land tour sometime ago. It is one of the most beautiful cities I have visited.

Regards,

Ruffin

Grumpy,

You will love Captain Gundersen when you get to know him. He is such a personable Captain and guess what, he is married to an Aussie girl from Sydney, so he has to be really special!

Is the Maitre'D the lovely French man Stephane? He was also very personable and obliging. If I remember the Social Hostess was Sheri and she was another crew member with a great personality. They seem to have wonderful staff on that ship.

Please keep the diary coming. I feel that I am with you on the ship as you tell us about your day to day activities. I am so glad you got the lounge, but two would make the balcony very crowded!

Jennie

Grumpy1 and Slinkie: Thanks so much. Great reading! I'm sitting here tonight with 11 degree temperature outside. Freezing!....but I'm curising with you every mile reading your report. Please keep it up. You'll help us all get through the winter.

Thanks again. Have a wonderful time.

Grumpy, My husband and I will also be joining you in L.A. Could you please tell me the name of the band playing in the Ocean Bar? I am hoping they are one of our favorites.

Thanks

Slinkie & Grumpy: thanks very much for your great posts! We will be sailing on the Prinsendam this coming July, so I have been paying attention to your posts! I'm an XM user as well, and it was interesting to learn how far south and east the coverage is. Hope your fun continues undiminished !

Hi Grumpy,

How are your minutes for e-mailing holding up? We also purchased the 1100 iminutes, and hope we don't use it all in one week!!!

Happy Sailing, Mary Ann and Bill

Grumpy and Slinkie,

We are sooooo jealous of your world cruise. We have been on 99 cruises but never on a cruise around the world. We are sailing on the Prinsendam to the British Isles in August and are enjoying sailing around the world with you through your wonderful posts. We are in S18 and jnow we will love the ship.

Have a safe and wonderful journey and thank you for allowing all of us to sail with you!!!!!!

Karen and Bob

Thanks Slinkie & Grumpy. We are joining you in Capetown. Another couple we know is also boarding then also. Would love to rendevouz at that time with the CC'ers. We sailed last year from Sydney to Singapore. Can't wait to board Apr 14th. Until then, we will be reading your adventures with bated breath!!!

Marianne

Hi Grumpy,

I found your posts thru Mary Ann and Bill. I have appreciated your info on the WC as we will also be joining you in LA with them. I have been following with great interest the engineering problems on main deck as that is where we will be living for 97 days. Glad to hear the A/C is working, cold showers I can stand. I am new to this forum but your posts have provoked me to join. Thanks! See you on Jan 29. Rod

Hi, great to read news of your "Around the World" tour. Are you visiting New Zealand as well. If you are coming to Tauranga it would be great to be able to assit with any of your on shore tours if you do not want to take the ships offerings.

I also enjoy to read your posts. We were on Prinsendam for the Transatlantic in November and fell in love with her. Our next cruise in July will also be with her. (Iceland / Ireland).

Suki was our cabin attendant in Suite 001. He also brought us a second lounge chair for the verandah and was always very friendly and helfpful!

Please say hi to him from Marc and Walter, maybe he remembers us.

How does the Gym area look? We were told that it was also being remodeled during drydock. And has the ugly astroturf on deck 12 been replaced by teak?

Marc

Archived