Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

onebzyldy

Ultimate Ship Tour

Can someone please explain this ?? I have heard about it on other threads - searched and cannot figure out exactly what it is. Is there a charge? How do we go about being part of this tour ? ? I'm understanding that it is different from the Chef's Table ?

Thanx in advance..........

Happy Cruising!

DonnaF :D

On the day you board they offer a free tour of the ship. We tried it once on Carribbean Princess. I have trouble climbing stairs. They went from one end of the ship to the other using only stairs. I stopped the tour because I could not keep up just using the stairs. I am sure it was interesting

But they rushed along quickly to cover every area. I could not rush along and I could not go up and down the stairs.

Can someone please explain this ?? I have heard about it on other threads - searched and cannot figure out exactly what it is. Is there a charge? How do we go about being part of this tour ? ? I'm understanding that it is different from the Chef's Table ?

Happy Cruising!

The ultimate ship tour is a behind the scenes tour of the ship. (usually the theater, galley, engine control room, bridge, funnel and more). The tour lasts 3-4 hours and costs $150 per person. You sign up for it at the guest services desk on embarkation day(max 12 people on the tour) so sign up early. You also receive a number of items from the tour, such as a plush robe, a number of photos, chef jacket, and other items, depending on the ship.

The tour is well worth the cost and is very enjoyable. There is a lot of walking and some stairs, but not to difficult.

The UST is a several hour tour that goes to all the parts of the ship passengers do not usually see. It is $150 per person.

onebzyldy,

The Ultimate Ship Tour is a behind the scenes tour of the ship. It takes you to the theatre, theatre dressing rooms, galley, mooring room, engine control room, bridge and medical centre. The cost is $US150 and IMHO well worth the money. When you first go onboard, go to the Pursers desk and put your name down. They normally conduct a ballot and you will get notification in your cabin. It is normally held on a sea day. It has nothing to do with the Chef's table. Remember, it is not suitable for people who have trouble negotiating stairs.

Just noticed CL-JW have just posted this as well.

Enjoy.

Ted

I took the UST on the Sapphire last year. It was definitely worth the money to see all the behind the scenes areas that passengers usually don't see. There is a lot of walking and climbing, so this is not for the infirm. You can't bring a camera with you, but one of the ship's photographers accompanies the tour and takes lots of pictures. I received about a dozen 8 x 10's in addition to the chef's jacket and robe. Most people don't repeat this tour as once you've seen it, the mystery is gone.

We did it on the Emerald last January and it was very cool. As siad it was $150 and is limited offering so sign up at the pursers desk as soon as you get on board. Be sure to leave room in your luggage for the robe! We went behind the theatre, had photos with the dancers, went to the galley and kitchen (had mimosas, chocolate covered strawberries, got chef jackets), met the chief engineer in the control room had our picture with him, went to the printshop (got a notepad with our names on it) the photoshop, went up the funnel (had our picture taken), went to the hospital and then got to have appetizers and drinks with the captain on the bridge and had our photos taken again. All the gifts and photos were delivered to our cabin later. It was very interesting and the gifts certainly are worth more than the cost of the tour.

It sounds like it might be a fun thing to do, but it is a bit pricey. DH would love to see the engine room and bridge, so maybe I will send him one day as a gift.

On one of our cruises, we were talking about this tour with some of the crew and they were all really amused by the whole thing. They said that several years ago they offered something similar for free (without the gifts and a few of the stops) and they couldn't get anyone to participate. Then they come up with this expensive tour and people are fighting to go on it. They felt that people didn't think it was worthwhile unless they had to pay for it.

DH is an electronics engineer, and he will be Soooo disappointed if he can't get on the ultimate ship tour. He has wanted something like this for years, but was always refused before now. Do they take participants on the basis of when they sign up, or lottery?

DH is an electronics engineer, and he will be Soooo disappointed if he can't get on the ultimate ship tour. He has wanted something like this for years, but was always refused before now. Do they take participants on the basis of when they sign up, or lottery?

On the cruise I did it, it was the first x people to aign up.

From the 1st Patter on a recent cruise:

AN EVENING AT THE CHEF'S TABLE "Join our Executive Chef at the Chef's Table for an unforgettable experience - Executive Chef Christophe Belin offers a brilliant insight into the workings of the most dynamic, fine dining experience on the seven seas; French champagne and hors d'oeurves at a hot spot in the galley during "rush" hour, follwed by a multi-course tasting menu at the V.I.P. Chef's table in the dining room - A must for the culinary connoisseur. $75 per person including wine pairing. For reservations, please call the Dining Hotline, #6219."

We did it on the Emerald last January and it was very cool. As siad it was $150 and is limited offering so sign up at the pursers desk as soon as you get on board. Be sure to leave room in your luggage for the robe! We went behind the theatre, had photos with the dancers, went to the galley and kitchen (had mimosas, chocolate covered strawberries, got chef jackets), met the chief engineer in the control room had our picture with him, went to the printshop (got a notepad with our names on it) the photoshop, went up the funnel (had our picture taken), went to the hospital and then got to have appetizers and drinks with the captain on the bridge and had our photos taken again. All the gifts and photos were delivered to our cabin later. It was very interesting and the gifts certainly are worth more than the cost of the tour.

Sounds worth doing.

Question: do they allow photography throughout the tour. I know on some tours to the bridge in the old days it was no problem, but nowadays it is.

Also, on our last cruise (Sapphire) they offered a stage and behind the scenes tour the last sea day. That was a first for us. We have done the galley a number of times, but never the theater.

The use of cameras, I think, is up to the discretion of the Captain. On the Star in November we were allowed to take photos whenever we liked with the exception of the engine control room. The ship provide a photographer and you get those prints free. There were 48 people who nominated for the UTS and I had my name on the top of the list. But due to the large number of people and the fact that it was a 30 day cruise, the Captain had three tours.

I cannot comment on other ships - only been on the Star.

Happy Cruising!

Has nothing to do with the Chefs Table.

The UST is a several hour tour that goes to all the parts of the ship passengers do not usually see. It is $150 per person.

Did the Volendamm engine room tour two years ago for free:). Probably free becasue the whole ship was chartered by the USSVI and those guys know how to get the things they want. Pretty neat tour in the bowels of the iron maiden.

Sounds worth doing.

Question: do they allow photography throughout the tour. I know on some tours to the bridge in the old days it was no problem, but nowadays it is.

Also, on our last cruise (Sapphire) they offered a stage and behind the scenes tour the last sea day. That was a first for us. We have done the galley a number of times, but never the theater.

The ability to use a camera seems to vary by ship. When we took the tour, we were only allowed to take pictures on the bridge. Some have posted they were allowed to take pictures everywhere but the engine control room.

When we took the UST, the backstage part of the tour tour was pretty much what was done in the past near the end of some cruises except on the UST we also went downstairs and then rode the stage elevator up to the stage from below.

(Also on that cruise, the general backstage tour was truly just that. The people were led to the back of the stage, walked down the hallway to the other end of the stage, and then back to the theater. Did not see anything but that hallway, but it was indeed in back of the stage.)

.....(Also on that cruise, the general backstage tour was truly just that. The people were led to the back of the stage, walked down the hallway to the other end of the stage, and then back to the theater. Did not see anything but that hallway, but it was indeed in back of the stage.)

On ours they divided us into two groups. One went up on stage to see the lights / props / backdrops / ... The other went back into the dressing room. Got to see when the cast changed / the costume carousel / makeup tables /...

Then the groups switched. We even walked back out past where the cast cabins are behind the theater.

On ours they divided us into two groups. One went up on stage to see the lights / props / backdrops / ... The other went back into the dressing room. Got to see when the cast changed / the costume carousel / makeup tables /...

Then the groups switched. We even walked back out past where the cast cabins are behind the theater.

That's the way it has been on every cruise but the one I described.

we just returned from the Caribbean Princess and took part in this tour. We went to the pursers desk as soon as we got on the ship, even before going to our cabin thinking it was for the first 12 people that signed up. BUT....when it was printed in the patters, it stated that it would be done by drawing names of the people that signed up. It obviously was not an issue, since only 10 people booked this tour. I only did this because my husband wanted to do it. But I found that I enjoyed it as well! Well worth the money! Now I have my kids fighting with us over who gets the plush robes!!

As for the photography, when you get your form to sign the day before, it specifically states no photography. I did not take my camera because of this. I wish I would have as another person on this tour took his and nobody said anything to him about it.