Best Day Sail

spazzyjanet

Hello,

We are sailing on a big ship (FOS) and will likely be surrounded by people most days of our cruise. So, we were hoping for a nice, private, hassle-free day or half-day sail while there. We will be there from 11 am-ish to 7pm-ish. Who would you advise booking with?

Thanks!

We sailed with Capt. Kathleen on High Pockets back in May of 2009, and it was one of the best excursions we've ever been on. I can highly recommend her ( here's the link to her site: http://pws.prserv.net/sailhighpockets/ )

Here's the review that I originally posted both on Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor:

Our day with Captain Kathleen and First Mate Paul on High Pockets was absolutely the best day we've spent on any excursion, ever....and we've been on some pretty good excursions in the past!

High Pockets is a 42 foot sloop that is in absolutely beautiful condition. Kathleen takes out a maximum of 6 passengers at a time, and for this day my wife and I were joined by a group of 4 young ladies who were vacationing together. Kathleen transported us over to High Pockets in a dinghy, and we relaxed on board.

The ship is obviously lovingly maintained, and Kathleen and Paul are wonderful hosts. Aside from his duties as first mate, Paul kept us supplied with drinks, helped with snorkel equipment, engaged in easy conversation, and generally kept a constant eye out for our comfort. Kathleen explained the islands and cays while we sailed through Pillsbury Sound, and told us the history of the area, and the history of the ship. The weather was as near perfect for sailing as it could be.

Paul kept our glasses filled with our choices of exotic juices, soft drinks, and adult beverages (including rum swizzles with freshly grated nutmeg!)

Eventually, we moored at Caneel Bay, and we enjoyed a long snorkel along the reef there. The reef was in great condition, and sea life was abundant. Paul was always unobtrusively keeping an eye out for our safety while we snorkeled.

Kathleen served up a delicious lunch of linguine and marinated chicken with fresh garden herbs, accompanied by a wonderful salad with fresh fruits...she was even kind enough to prepare a separate portion to accommodate a food allergy for me. Lunch was topped with a scrumptious homemade rum cake.

We made a second snorkel stop at Lovango Cay, where we snorkeled a very healthy reef, as well as the turtle grass flats. We saw dozens of rays at that stop, and our companions spotted some sea turtles as well.

Then, alas, under the blue Caribbean sky, we had to make our downwind sail back to Red Hook. The conditions were just awesome, the colors of the sea constantly changing. Kathleen chatted with us about our hometowns, and about her life in the Caribbean. This was our first time in a monohull vessel, all of our previous excursion had always been in catamarans, and we just loved the feeling as the ship gracefully cut through the water.

Kathleen even contacted a taxi to meet us at the dock for transport back to our ship.

After experiencing this daysail, it's no mystery to us why Capt. Kathleen gets such uniformly excellent reviews, and is so highly regarded. The ship is a beauty, with open area for sunning and a shady cockpit for sitting an chatting. Kathleen is the consummate hostess, and we look forward to joining her again!

Definitely check into the Kekoa, a fifty foot GEORGEOUS Catamaran, sailing out of St. John for a really memorable day, and the best snorkling I've done on any Carribean stopover. We had a terrific time, and the captains , brothers, Ryan and Jamison..and crew were outstanding, as was their rum punch and mango bread! http://www.BLACKSAILSVI.COM

The "problem" with these day sails on the smaller (50 foot more or less) sail boats are that they are all fantastic so everyone is inclined to recommend the one they went on last and to repeat it. We've been on two, neither of which are mentioned above. The Winifred and the Rumbaba. The Rumbaba was a nicer in several ways the most significant was the food and drink. We had an absolutely great fresh fish lunch (Mahi) that the captain grilled on a little grill hanging off the side of the boat. Our friends had the beef fillet and said it was great as well. I'd highly recommend Captain Bobby and the Rumbaba - we're doing it a second time this coming March. Click here for a link to a few photos

If you Google Rumbaba you'll find them, also if you Google St. Thomas Day Sail you find some others. There are at least 6, and probably more than a dozen, of these operators that offer similar trips at a similar cost: Max of 6 people, lunch, scenic sail to St. John coast or beach for snorkeling, will modify trip as requested. Chances are you'd love any one of these day sails. If you do book the Rumbaba tell Captain Bobby that Larry recommended him. Also - if any of the ones you call are booked ask them for a recommendation for one of the others - these guys all know each other and occasionally work together.

The "problem" with these day sails on the smaller (50 foot more or less) sail boats are that they are all fantastic so everyone is inclined to recommend the one they went on last and to repeat it.

:D I think Larry's right on the money. The "6 pack" operators all seem to have good working relationships with each other, and will often partner up to handle a booking of more than 6 people. While we can personally recommend Capt. Kathleen, I bet you wouldn't go far wrong with any of them.

Larry, as usual a great set of photos, thanks for posting the link!

The "problem" with these day sails on the smaller (50 foot more or less) sail boats are that they are all fantastic so everyone is inclined to recommend the one they went on last and to repeat it. We've been on two, neither of which are mentioned above. The Winifred and the Rumbaba. The Rumbaba was a nicer in several ways the most significant was the food and drink. We had an absolutely great fresh fish lunch (Mahi) that the captain grilled on a little grill hanging off the side of the boat. Our friends had the beef fillet and said it was great as well. I'd highly recommend Captain Bobby and the Rumbaba - we're doing it a second time this coming March. Click here for a link to a few photos

If you Google Rumbaba you'll find them, also if you Google St. Thomas Day Sail you find some others. There are at least 6, and probably more than a dozen, of these operators that offer similar trips at a similar cost: Max of 6 people, lunch, scenic sail to St. John coast or beach for snorkeling, will modify trip as requested. Chances are you'd love any one of these day sails. If you do book the Rumbaba tell Captain Bobby that Larry recommended him. Also - if any of the ones you call are booked ask them for a recommendation for one of the others - these guys all know each other and occasionally work together.

Beautiful underwater photos! May I ask what type of camera you were using? I snorkel, and would love to get a really good underwater camera. I'd appreciate any help. Great pics!

Beautiful underwater photos! May I ask what type of camera you were using? I snorkel, and would love to get a really good underwater camera. I'd appreciate any help. Great pics!

Thank You!

The photos in that link were taken by a Canon point & shoot model SD870 (no longer a current model) with a Canon Marine case designed for the camera. The marine cases by the camera manufacturers are the best deal - better than off brand cases or cameras that are supposedly underwater cameras with no case which are sometimes unreliable. Also look at this link: http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/gallery/2211051#162491389_BCEyY for some tips.

I generally recommend Canon and Panasonic cameras. Any that is a model within the past 3 or 4 years with a marine case by the manufacturer, designed for the camera, would work great for you. A lot of the picture quality is from a very small amount of editing using Photoshop Elements (the simpler version of Photoshop) as discussed in the link above.

I have been sailing from St. Thomas for years and growing up seen them all, many boats that no longer sail from St. Thomas, or aren't even sailing at all anymore.

In 2008 my wife and I went back to purchase our timeshare at Frenchman's Cove and it had been the first time I had spent any significant time on the island in a while, and she has never been there beyond a cruise stop. Since I recognized Winifred I decided to book a day with Capt. Sharon.

While any day sailing is a good day, I was less than happy. I am an experienced sailor. I sailed 4 years competitvely in college (elgibility only allowed for 4 years, redshirted 1st year) I also sail regularly back here in NJ, racing usually once a week, but as many as 3 times a week if we have regatta's. The boat I sail on, won the club championship this year.

I felt like during my trip with Capt. Sharon she was treating me like a child, which may just be her way. I realize she sees all types and my skill level may have been unique, as a another sailor I didn't feel any mutual respect. My wife and I turned out to be the only ones going that day, so we had a private boat for two. I almost felt as if she was somewhat resentful of that.

We sailed in Rumbaba this past June with my in-laws and had a great day. Completely the opposite of Winifred. Capt. Bobby is a great host, nice guy and his lunch was amazing! I would recommned sailing with him if you have the chance, you definately will nt be disappointed, in fact it maybe the highlight of your week/cruise.

Can anyone recommend a St Thomas vendor for 10-12 people for a half day sail?

Thanks

Kristin, the only operator that comes to mind who is licensed for more than 6 is Nightwind ( http://www.stjohndaysail.com/ ). Most of the others are licensed for 6 passengers only, and will partner up with another operator for a tandem sail if there are more than 6 in your party.

I haven't sailed with Nightwind, so I can't comment on them, I just know that they will take up to 18. There may be others that do this as well, but I haven't seen any mention of them.

Wow, I didn't know there were so many options. It's a good thing, though, since it's more likely then that I will be able to get in with someone. I do like places with websites, though, because it is good to work with something other than an email address, especially if there is the possibility that I might convince friends who are cruising with us to join us. Is there anyone who will pick us up right at the port?

If you're looking for a day that that actually departs from the port (if you're docking at Havensight/Charlotte Amelie), Island Girl is the only one I can think of, but their itinerary is limited to the area near the port and Water Island...they don't head over to St. John, it's too far from Charlotte Amelie. You can find their website at http://www.yachtadventures.biz/cruise_ship_avail.htm

For the others, you would need to taxi out to Red Hook.

Try Jolly Mon. Just got back from a HAL cruise and did a full day sail with Gayle on the Jolly Mon. Our day with Gayle and her daughter Sarah was the best day of our vacation. She picked us up downtown in a dinghy right at the cruise ship dock. We sailed to two snorkeling stops and swam with turtles and saw lots of great sea life. The highlight of the trip was when Sarah spotted a humpback whale! We feel so fortunate to have witnessed this! We got to see the whale breach, and at one point, it passed by us about 20 feet from the bow of the boat. Truly amazing. You know you are seeing something amazing when even the captain and guide are as excited about it as you are! Gayle said she only saw one last year. Talk about being in the right place at the right time! Sarah had been a guide in Alaska for 6 months, so she was the right person to have on the boat when we saw the whale. She is like a human encyclopedia!

But back to the daysail --- Gayle and Sarah were great! We had a delicious lunch of blackened fish, rice and beans, plantains, coleslaw and fruit. There was also an open bar and snacks. When my sister and I came out of the water a little chilled, Gayle recommended a shot of Mango Rum. It totally did the trick! Sarah was our guide and was extremely knowledgeable. She snorkeled with us and identified everything we were seeing. Gayle and Sarah make a great team. They really made us feel right at home and we couldn't have enjoyed our day more. Their website is http://www.jollymonstthomas.com/. We paid $135/person and there were 4 of us on the sail.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the cost for the Rumbaba?

Thank you!

If you don't mind me asking, what is the cost for the Rumbaba?

Thank you!

I think it is $125 - a little more if you pay on a credit card. My impression is most of the day-sail lunch trips sailing out of Red Hook charge about the same.

I think it is $125 - a little more if you pay on a credit card. My impression is most of the day-sail lunch trips sailing out of Red Hook charge about the same.

Thanks for the info. I imagine they have a decent policy if the ship ended up being a "no show" for some reason or other...I will contact them. :)

The Rumbaba was a nicer in several ways the most significant was the food and drink.
I agree completely! Rumbaba is Awesome !!! Food, drink, and company !!

I don't remember the price for sure as it has been a couple of years. I'm thinking the $125 that folks are mentioning has to be either per person or per couple. Ours was a 1/2 day and was a few hundred for 4 of us.......worth every dime. :)

I agree completely! Rumbaba is Awesome !!! Food, drink, and company !!

I don't remember the price for sure as it has been a couple of years. I'm thinking the $125 that folks are mentioning has to be either per person or per couple. Ours was a 1/2 day and was a few hundred for 4 of us.......worth every dime. :)

the $125 is per person - I think it is considered the full day, meet around 9am or so and runs until mid afternoon. Lunch & drinks included

To get to American Yacht Harbor from the ship I think I read it took like 30 min.? For those that have taken taxi to and from... If you are returning around 5 or 6 in the evening, do you think it would take longer due to traffic? Iam trying to do the full day sailing but get back in time to go through the shops before boarding at 7. I was curious as to traffic that time of day. Thanks for the advice

We've taken 2 day sails in St. Thomas. Loved them both! Highpockets & Rumbaba. Rumbaba had great food & drinks & Bobby & Karen were great hosts. Was one of our best days.

We are also sailing on FOS & Bobby said he could arrange around our time in port. When are you going?? We will be there in May and I'm looking for 1 or 2 more couples to join us. They take a max of 6 or minimum of 4.

It would be great if it's the wk of 5/9/10 when we sail on FOS.

Ellen

To get to American Yacht Harbor from the ship I think I read it took like 30 min.? For those that have taken taxi to and from... If you are returning around 5 or 6 in the evening, do you think it would take longer due to traffic? Iam trying to do the full day sailing but get back in time to go through the shops before boarding at 7. I was curious as to traffic that time of day. Thanks for the advice

Depends on where you're docking. From Havensight to American Yacht Harbor, 30 minutes sounds about right. Add about 10 minutes for Crown Bay. For our trip, we were there on a Saturday, so traffic was light when we returned, but we were back at Crown Bay by around 5:15 for our 6pm departure.

We are going in June and we are sailing on Rumbaba. We are on FOS and already have 6. However if I were going in May and didn't have a full party, I would definitely join another group. Its always fun meeting new people. Thanks for the offer. I have never sailed with Rumbaba but from hearing all the rave reviews I am very excited to be doing so. We are arriving on a Wed. so I wasn't sure how the traffic would be around 5 or so.

Archived