Best Day Sail

spazzyjanet

Where in St. John does Rumbaba take you? Do they pick you up in St. Thomas?

They pick you us at a marina at Red Hook on St. Thomas. They'll go anyplace you want, but if you don't have a preference they'll anchor off a beach or cove where there is good swimming and snorkeling - where depends on the conditions. On our one trip I think we anchored off of Hawks Nest Beach. After lunch they gave us an option of going to another snorkeling spot or just scenic sailing - we chose the scenic cruising. With a small group they are very flexable about tailoring the trip to do the things you like.

Just got back from 10-day on Ruby Princess, stopping in St. Thomas. Did a day sail with Kathleen on High Pockets, and had the BEST excursion we've ever had - hands down!

I first contacted her (Kathleen) when recommended by someone on our roll call. I sent an email and told her I had a few questions. She called me back within one hour, and was SO pleasant and cheery - liked her right away! Answered all our questions, including concerns about making sure we'd get back on time. I could tell just from the phone call that she was very customer service oriented, and I was right!

She arranged for a van to pick us up right at our ship and take us to Red Hook, where she and her mate (Serina) met us. There were only 4 of us (plus Kathleen, her mate Serina, and her niece Sky, who had been her mate last year). She made sure we knew she was at our disposal - whatever we wanted to do she'd do! We let her plan the day, so we sailed to Hawks Nest (near St. John), moored there for an hour of snorkeling, got back aboard for her FABULOUS lunch (linguine and marinated chicken in an herb, butter and garlic sauce, a beautiful fresh salad, fresh bread with Irish butter, Chardonay, and rum cake), then sailed to another small cove. We could snorkel if we wanted to, but we all just opted to stay aboard and relax and visit, which was fine with her. She was a WONDERFUL hostess - we felt like we'd been friends forever! We eventually sailed back to St. Thomas, where the van picked us up and returned us right to the ship, well ahead of our due time.

The cost was $140 pp, or $130 pp if paid in cash. The van was $12.50 pp each way, which is what any cab would charge. All in all, we had the most perfect time, and we can't wait to go back to St. Thomas for that excursion.

By the way, while in the cove at Hawk's Nest, Rumbaba was moored right behind us! Honestly both looked great, but I can only speak for High Pockets. Trust me, you'd love it! Here's the link: http://sailhighpockets.com/

Hello,

We are sailing on a big ship (FOS) and will likely be surrounded by people most days of our cruise. So, we were hoping for a nice, private, hassle-free day or half-day sail while there. We will be there from 11 am-ish to 7pm-ish. Who would you advise booking with?

Thanks!

Hi! We were in St. Thomas on Christmas Day and had booked a day of sailing through Rick and Cathy O'Dell, who own Night Wind. We took a taxi from the ship over to Sapphire Beach Marina where they are docked at. We were served breakfast pastries, fruit, and juice when we boarded, then went over to St. John's for snorkeling. We then went to Little St. James for more snorkeling and a delicious lunch. We made another snorkeling stop to try to find some turtles and then were fed cake. The captain and his first mate were very nice and served us drinks and snacks all day. We would highly recommend them!

Hope this helps,

Try Jolly Mon. Just got back from a HAL cruise and did a full day sail with Gayle on the Jolly Mon. Our day with Gayle and her daughter Sarah was the best day of our vacation. She picked us up downtown in a dinghy right at the cruise ship dock. We sailed to two snorkeling stops and swam with turtles and saw lots of great sea life. The highlight of the trip was when Sarah spotted a humpback whale! We feel so fortunate to have witnessed this! We got to see the whale breach, and at one point, it passed by us about 20 feet from the bow of the boat. Truly amazing. You know you are seeing something amazing when even the captain and guide are as excited about it as you are! Gayle said she only saw one last year. Talk about being in the right place at the right time! Sarah had been a guide in Alaska for 6 months, so she was the right person to have on the boat when we saw the whale. She is like a human encyclopedia!

But back to the daysail --- Gayle and Sarah were great! We had a delicious lunch of blackened fish, rice and beans, plantains, coleslaw and fruit. There was also an open bar and snacks. When my sister and I came out of the water a little chilled, Gayle recommended a shot of Mango Rum. It totally did the trick! Sarah was our guide and was extremely knowledgeable. She snorkeled with us and identified everything we were seeing. Gayle and Sarah make a great team. They really made us feel right at home and we couldn't have enjoyed our day more. Their website is http://www.jollymonstthomas.com/. We paid $135/person and there were 4 of us on the sail.

I've included the full quote above because all of it was true - we had a wonderful excursion (half day, $75) on the Jolly Mon. And yes, Sarah is truly a walking encyclopedia of marine life!

It's funny, Gayle was gushing about seeing the whale on a recent sail - must have been your trip! She was still super excited about it; her only regret was not having her camera at the ready.

Nice ladies, great sail, great snorkeling, would go again in a heartbeat.

Depends on where you're docking. From Havensight to American Yacht Harbor, 30 minutes sounds about right. Add about 10 minutes for Crown Bay. For our trip, we were there on a Saturday, so traffic was light when we returned, but we were back at Crown Bay by around 5:15 for our 6pm departure.[/quote

I believe we are docking in crown bay as we will be on a Princess ship. So we will still be 40 minutes from the harbor? Would be so nice to have transportation arranged too. Did you book through VIP Sail or directly through the skipper?

I believe we are docking in crown bay as we will be on a Princess ship. So we will still be 40 minutes from the harbor? Would be so nice to have transportation arranged too. Did you book through VIP Sail or directly through the skipper?

About 40 minutes from Crown Bay, yes. We booked directly with Capt. Kathleen through her website. I'm pretty sure she can arrange for a pickup, although you would still need to pay the driver directly, but I don't know that there's a reason to do it that way, as cabs are plentiful at Crown Bay. For the return, she will be happy to call a cab for you from her cell phone as you sail back to Red Hook.

For anyone sailing out of Red Hook Marina (Rumbaba & Highpockets....plus others) there is a fun little bar / restaurant right in the marina called Maggie Malone's !!

Great for a quick cocktail while you are waiting for your return van / cab !! :)

The extra 40 minutes is a bummer. We have such a limited time at the port. We are only there from 7-4. Sounds like the sailboats leave after 9. Worried that we won't get back in time. Also wondering about the hour time difference. We would have to get back really early. When we were on the Crown we booked the full day catamaran sail and snorkel trip. The Cat picked us up at the Princess dock. That was nice. But we were late getting back to the boat. The ship had to wait for us beacuse it was a Princess excursion. I guess I may be a little gun shy about missing the ship again. I suppose we could book a half day sail/snorkel trip. I really wanted to get back to st. John again.

We just got back from sailing on the Treazzure, with Captain Joe and Danielle. Was the highlight of our trip. We paid $150 per person, there were six of us onboard. Food and drink all day were wonderful. We stopped at two places in St. John and snorkeled, one more beautiful than the other. Probably the best snorkeling I have done yet, as well as two of the most beautiful beaches on St. John.

We did have to to take a cab to Red Hook, but was so worth it. We took the open air cab, and I think it was $10 a person. I heard a reg cab would have been $40, and since we had 4 persons, really would have been the same, but I really enjoy the open air and seeing all the beautiful landscape along the way.

Now to decide which Captain to book with. They all sound terrific. Sounds like you should just book with the company rather than booking with VIP sail. A little more personalized that way.I really would like to get to St. Johns to snorkel. I am curious if most of you headed that way on your tours.

Now to decide which Captain to book with. They all sound terrific. Sounds like you should just book with the company rather than booking with VIP sail. A little more personalized that way.I really would like to get to St. Johns to snorkel. I am curious if most of you headed that way on your tours.

We've done Highpockets twice & both times got back in plenty of time. They all have phones etc. out there. I never worried about a break down etc. There are many that are friends with each other & a simple call they would get another boat to come get you if something like that would happen.

Thanks Gracie, That is one of the boats we have been in contact with. We will have our 10 and 12 year old with us too. Did you bring your kids along with you? How did they like the trip?

The second time we took our 10 year old son & he loved it. She was great with him. Kathleen also was an RN when she was in the states so with a child it makes you fell safer. Her snorkeling equipment is top notch & it was my son's first time. He really enjoyed it. I have her chicken recipe & make it often. I knew my son liked the chicken itself but not the linguine and salad. She made him a PB&J & mac & cheese, so if you think they won't like it just ask her & she'll do something else. If they like yellow & choc. swirl cake they will love the rum cake. That just gave me my idea on my Super Bowl Party desert!!! Thanks!!!!

Just booked with Bobby on Rumbaba for our trip in June. So excited to hang out with our cruisemates from our last cruise 3 years ago. Just love that it will be our own private charter and not 50 people like it is when you book it through the cruiseline. Thank you everyone.

Thanks Gracie. Glad to hear she was great with your son. Love your flamingo picture btw.

Made her Rum Cake recipe last night!!! Yum!!! I like it cause the rum does not over power like many do so even kids love it.

The flamingo pic. is for a cruise critic group cruise I'm taking in September. It will be neat to drive to a port that's only a hour and a half away!!!

The flamingo reminded me of my Dad who passed away 7 years ago. He was a joker and stole his neighbors flamingo out of their front yard one night. He took that darn flamingo everywhere, took pictures of it doing crazy things and sent the notes and pictures back to his neighbors house. They didn't know he had stolen it. It was so funny. We have pictures from family weddings with that silly flamingo in them. Gave me a chuckle when I saw your picture.

The flamingo reminded me of my Dad who passed away 7 years ago. He was a joker and stole his neighbors flamingo out of their front yard one night. He took that darn flamingo everywhere, took pictures of it doing crazy things and sent the notes and pictures back to his neighbors house. They didn't know he had stolen it. It was so funny. We have pictures from family weddings with that silly flamingo in them. Gave me a chuckle when I saw your picture.

That is too funny. I don't know how Smoofie acquired his flamingo but he takes it everywhere, including Carnival cruise ships. His reviews are hysterical with pictures of his flamingo Freddy. Go to the Carnival thread & search Stowaway Freddy, they should come up if you want a good chuckle!!!LOL

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

Thanks to all who have provided such great info re their day sail experiences; it really helps those of us that are planning a trip!

At the moment I am leaning towards either High Pockets or Kekoa Black Sail for our day trip.

For those that have done these trips, I am keen to know what the boats are like to get on and off?? I have a physical disability and need to suss these things out before I book to make sure I can manage. I can handle a ladder to get in and out when snorkelling, but find it hard to get on a boat from a dinghy instead of a wharf.

If anyone can answer these questions, that would be really helpful for me, thanks:

• When you get on from the mainland, do they always dock from the wharf??

• Did you find the ladder easy to use to get in and out of the water?

• Is the boat easy to move around?

If anyone else has a mobility problem and can recommend another company, I'd love to get the info.

Thanks again all.

Cheers

Amanda

Hi all

Thanks to all who have provided such great info re their day sail experiences; it really helps those of us that are planning a trip!

At the moment I am leaning towards either High Pockets or Kekoa Black Sail for our day trip.

For those that have done these trips, I am keen to know what the boats are like to get on and off?? I have a physical disability and need to suss these things out before I book to make sure I can manage. I can handle a ladder to get in and out when snorkelling, but find it hard to get on a boat from a dinghy instead of a wharf.

If anyone can answer these questions, that would be really helpful for me, thanks:

• When you get on from the mainland, do they always dock from the wharf??

• Did you find the ladder easy to use to get in and out of the water?

• Is the boat easy to move around?

If anyone else has a mobility problem and can recommend another company, I'd love to get the info.

Thanks again all.

Cheers

Amanda

We've been on two trips from the Red Hook yacht club (did have a different name I can't recall) - the Rumbaba and the Winifred. Procedure was the same for both. They brought over a dingy and you had to climb down a wooden ladder on the dock down into the rubber dingy. They then shuttled you over to the dingy and you had to get from the dingy onto the sailboat. There was one person in the dingy that helped you into and out of it and another on the sailboat when you got there.

Pretty much the same for High Pockets. You scoot from the dock down into a dinghy, and from the dinghy onto the sail boat. For snorkeling, there is a narrow side ladder.

If you go to http://www.sailhighpockets.com/ and click on the link for "Words & Pictures", you'll see some photos that give a pretty accurate representation of how much room there is to maneuver aboard. I think most of the "six packs" are going to be pretty similar.

• 3 months later...

Archived