Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic port stop cancelled by Princess

CruiseDuck

Thanks to CMarshall9 posting live from the Grand Princess on the main Princess board the reason for their port change from Santo Domingo to San Juan was explained by the cruise director.

It read as follows: We had our cruise critic get together on Saturday 1/16. I was surprised that the captain showed up with several officers as I've never been to a meet and greet where any officers came. He made the rounds and left, but I thought it was very nice of him to take time out of his day to meet us. The cruise director was with us for quite a while and answered a number of questions - like why was San Juan substituted for Santo Domingo. Apparently, the port in SD has silt and the government has not done what needs to be done to clean it out. The Grand cannot make it in and out as it stands now so SJ was substituted and will stay that way until SD cleans out their port. Not something that Princess can control, but I know that some will be disappointed.

We are scheduled to arrive on the 3/26 sailing of the Grand Princess in to Santo Domingo on April 6. So far we have not been notified to the contrary.

Removing the silt does not sound like a easy fix.

If anyone has an upcoming cruise scheduled on the Grand they might want to check their cruise personalizer for any changes to the schedule.

Thanks to CMarshall9 posting live from the Grand Princess on the main Princess board the reason for their port change from Santo Domingo to San Juan was explained by the cruise director.

It read as follows: We had our cruise critic get together on Saturday 1/16. I was surprised that the captain showed up with several officers as I've never been to a meet and greet where any officers came. He made the rounds and left, but I thought it was very nice of him to take time out of his day to meet us. The cruise director was with us for quite a while and answered a number of questions - like why was San Juan substituted for Santo Domingo. Apparently, the port in SD has silt and the government has not done what needs to be done to clean it out. The Grand cannot make it in and out as it stands now so SJ was substituted and will stay that way until SD cleans out their port. Not something that Princess can control, but I know that some will be disappointed.

We are scheduled to arrive on the 3/26 sailing of the Grand Princess in to Santo Domingo on April 6. So far we have not been notified to the contrary.

Removing the silt does not sound like a easy fix.

If anyone has an upcoming cruise scheduled on the Grand they might want to check their cruise personalizer for any changes to the schedule.

We are going on the Grand on 2-26 and as of today it still lists us as Santo Domingo, but I agree with you , doesn't sound like an easy fix to me either. I also saw the post you are referring to , hope the captian , etc. show up for our CC meet also, would be the first time for that for us also.

Cori

• 1 month later...

Archived