Entering Stockholm via Archipelago - What is it like?

I've read a few comments in various posts that mention entering Stockholm via the Archipelago is spectacular. We are visiting Stockholm late next August on Celebrity's Constellation and apparently that is the route the ship will take. I have no idea what to expect.

Would someone kindly describe what this transit is like? What is there to see, and what should we be looking for? Is it worth getting up early for, or skipping an early dinner sitting?

Thanks!

I've read a few comments in various posts that mention entering Stockholm via the Archipelago is spectacular. We are visiting Stockholm late next August on Celebrity's Constellation and apparently that is the route the ship will take. I have no idea what to expect. Would someone kindly describe what this transit is like? What is there to see, and what should we be looking for? Is it worth getting up early for, or skipping an early dinner sitting? Thanks!

It is about a three-hour cruise in as you move towards Stockholm. Below are some visual samples to give you an idea of what you will see. It was not a day of bright sunshine as we sailed it, but it was worth getting up to experience the various sights along this routing. There are many "country homes" of people who live in Stockholm that are built along this routing.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

1A-Sth-CruseIn2.jpg

1A-StH-CruseIn3.jpg

1A-StH-CruseIn4Bird.jpg

1A-Sth-WaterCruisingIn1.jpg

Here are a couple samples of what you will see in Stockholm. Here is their Royal Palace and its next-door historic church:

9-StockholmPalChurch.jpg

Nice flowers and historic buildings in Stockholm:

1A-Stockholm-Flowers-HistBldg.jpg

I've read a few comments in various posts that mention entering Stockholm via the Archipelago is spectacular. We are visiting Stockholm late next August on Celebrity's Constellation and apparently that is the route the ship will take. I have no idea what to expect.

Would someone kindly describe what this transit is like? What is there to see, and what should we be looking for? Is it worth getting up early for, or skipping an early dinner sitting?

Thanks!

We entered Stockholm very early in the AM and it was dark, but we did leave Stockholm in mid afternoon, so we were sailing the Archipelago in mid afternoon on a gorgeous day. We sat at the stern of the ship for hours, just enjoying the amazing views.

I am from NY and we have a similar area called 'Thousand Islands' in upstate NY, but this was just grand.

A few of my pix of the sailing

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1344.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1342.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1341.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europept1338.jpg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1343.jpg

Hope you will enjoy it as much as we did

Len

Thanks!

Question : Do we go through the Archipelago both entering and exiting Stockholm? In other words, do we see it coming from Germany to Stockholm and/or from Stockholm towards Finland? I just wanted to know which 3 hrs to be ready.

Question : Do we go through the Archipelago both entering and exiting Stockholm? In other words, do we see it coming from Germany to Stockholm and/or from Stockholm towards Finland? I just wanted to know which 3 hrs to be ready.

Yes, thats the only way in and out of Stockholm, at least for a ship that size.

Yes, thats the only way in and out of Stockholm, at least for a ship that size.

Then it doesn't really matter what "side" of the ship you're on? In my case, we booked a cabin on one side of the ship and my parents took the other (specifically in case there was one-sided scenery!).

s02.jpg

s03.jpg

s07.jpg

s09.jpg

s11.jpg

s17.jpg

Wanna see more pictures? I got plenty of them.

Great shots UT . , Many of the posters who haven't been, or are going, love to see some of our pictures so they know about the places they will be going to.

Join in the fun and post away. I love to see other pictures also.

Len

Wonderful photos! Thanks to all for posting them (and don't stop now :)) It's amazing to see such large ships in such a narrow channel, especially following each other. This reminds me of the Panama Canal crossing which was similar in places. I'm really looking forward to this!

Thanks to everyone for posting these wonderful photos. I'm afraid its the only way we will get to see the archipelago. We are booked on an NCL cruise in June, and unfortunately NCL ships dock in Nynashamn. :(

Wonderful photos! Thanks to all for posting them (and don't stop now :)) It's amazing to see such large ships in such a narrow channel, especially following each other. This reminds me of the Panama Canal crossing which was similar in places. I'm really looking forward to this!

That was one of my favorite parts as well. I didn't wake up in time for most of the sail in, but in the summer time, the sun is up until well into the "evening", so the sail out was brightly lit. We were one of 3 ships in a caravan that followed each other most of the way out to sea, rarely loosing sight of each other as the channel twists and turns. At one point, one of the ships veered into a different channel than the other two... they were likely on the way toward a western Baltic stop like Germany next where we were headed east on to Finland.

That was one of my favorite parts as well. I didn't wake up in time for most of the sail in, but in the summer time, the sun is up until well into the "evening", so the sail out was brightly lit. We were one of 3 ships in a caravan that followed each other most of the way out to sea, rarely loosing sight of each other as the channel twists and turns. At one point, one of the ships veered into a different channel than the other two... they were likely on the way toward a western Baltic stop like Germany next where we were headed east on to Finland.

I have heard the captains might open the helipad for viewing. Did anyone experience that?

Ultima,

Great map, thanks for finding that. I have been on the "booze cruises" many times and never get tired of the archipelago.

For those of you that don't know about the "Booze Cruise", well, let me try to explain. Due to some tax regulations, a ship that leaves Stockholm and visits a port outside of the EU and stays away for at least 22 hours (I'm guessing on the exact time limitation) is not subject to the normal taxes on Liquor and tobacco. The most common port is Mariehamn, which is not in the EU (I'm not getting into the technicalities, some loophole in the law). So, every day, like clockwork, 3 or 4 ships do "booze cruises". Mostly locals go for a cheap night out, they stock up on booze and smokes and return the next afternoon.'

The ships are actually quite nice and the cabins can be had for dirt cheap if you are on a budget. Of course for a little more you can get a deluxe cabin, but the prices are still cheap (they make their money in the tax free shop). There are a variety of restaurants on board (cheap buffet to a la carte), as well as various bars and live entertainment.

I bring this up as an alternative for those of you spending a few days pre-post cruise in Stockholm and are looking for an interesting overnight excursion through the archipelago.

Skål

Al

• 2 weeks later...
I'm afraid its the only way we will get to see the archipelago. We are booked on an NCL cruise in June, and unfortunately NCL ships dock in Nynashamn. :(

I couldn't resist adding three of my own pix from last year.

20396.jpg

20408.jpg

20421.jpg

Nynäshamn really shouldn't be billed as Stockholm. It's not so far away, but you miss one of the best parts of the day in Stockholm - arriving there.

seachart.png

But it saves almost 100 miles of journey, time as well as fuel, because it's a long way round through the archipelago.

- Lucy

I couldn't resist adding three of my own pix from last year.

20396.jpg

20408.jpg

20421.jpg

Nynäshamn really shouldn't be billed as Stockholm. It's not so far away, but you miss one of the best parts of the day in Stockholm - arriving there.

seachart.png

But it saves almost 100 miles of journey, time as well as fuel, because it's a long way round through the archipelago.

- Lucy

Lucy

Great pictures. Glad you could contribe.

And you are so right about saving whatever costs they can. Did you hear what AA is doing, charging $8 for a blanket and pillow on any plane. Talk about milking the public.

Cheers

Len

And you are so right about saving whatever costs they can. Did you hear what AA is doing, charging $8 for a blanket and pillow on any plane. Talk about milking the public.

We're getting exactly what we asked for - bare bottom low air fares. By the flying public responding like sheep by not raising hell over baggage charges, charges for extra legroom, charges for meals, etc., we have only encouraged the airlines to continue nickle and dimeing us on more and more "services". What's next? Charges for space for our carry-ons? Charges for use of restrooms (Air Lingus seriously consider this)? Charges for positions in the boarding line? Charges for the use of a seat in the waiting areas before our flights? There's not much left to squeeze out of us. Flying sucks - and our obsession with cheap fares is to blame.

Sorry about my rant. Flying used to be enjoyable, but no longer. I now fly only when I can't avoid it.

We're getting exactly what we asked for - bare bottom low air fares. By the flying public responding like sheep by not raising hell over baggage charges, charges for extra legroom, charges for meals, etc., we have only encouraged the airlines to continue nickle and dimeing us on more and more "services". What's next? Charges for space for our carry-ons? Charges for use of restrooms (Air Lingus seriously consider this)? Charges for positions in the boarding line? Charges for the use of a seat in the waiting areas before our flights? There's not much left to squeeze out of us. Flying sucks - and our obsession with cheap fares is to blame. Sorry about my rant. Flying used to be enjoyable, but no longer. I now fly only when I can't avoid it.

Much in your "rant" is true. People cannot have BOTH . . . low fares at the better times of the year and high levels of service and comfort. This is especially true with current high fuel cost. The "laws of economics" cannot be ignored. Airlines have lots of capital and operating costs to cover. Their profits have not been very fat, if at all. Their management has not been perfect, but the demand load by customers is not evenly spread out. It's a challenging business model!!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived