HAL considering going totally non-smoking?

furf_n_slo

Sorry - but I just do not agree that staff can manage to eliminate the smell/impact of cigarettes smoked in a room in the 3 or so hours they have to turn it around for the next guest. Certainly not in my experience.

It seems logical to me that if you are going to exhale a potent mixture of cancer inducing chemicals into the surrounding air - the only acceptable place to do so without exposing others who do not wish to share is outside.

Rev Neal already mentioned the neutralizing agents HAL uses to eliminate perceived odour. However, the *key* element is ionization. This precipitates the residue out of surfaces. Very powerful ionizer. In general, you should not be in the cabin when this is in use, due to the associated ozone created. However, a couple hours will do the job.

We are going on our first HAL cruise this spring.

Just wondering, is there a noticable odor of stale smoke in your cabin when you enter?

I respect everyone's rights. I was just wondering if it is offensive as some hotel rooms I have walked into?

Thanks

Residual odour can happen if your steward smokes, because he can't smell it. :rolleyes: When it happened to me, my steward confessed he was a smoker and just didn't notice something that was obvious to me.

In those instances, in addition to ionization, where there is residual contamination of soft surfaces, your steward will also shampoo rugs, linens, curtains. If you enter a HAL room which is unsatisfactory, you should ask for this, and it will be done, pronto.

I mentioned I try to be Switzerland....but my vested interest: smoke of any kind (not just tobacco) can quickly hospitalize me.

When I cruise HAL, I bring an ionizer. (Or two...or three. #1= my standard portable one with fan. #2 - one I can hang around my neck. #3 - a "spare". Total baggage space: equal to one pair of jeans, and 2 Tshirts)

Why do this? I love HAL, and want to continue to sail her ships. That's what I meant earlier when I suggested non-smokers must adapt. IMO, the fact we're the majority doesn't change

A - Smokers may be a minority, but still have rights

B - It's HAL's right to make the rules. Don't like 'em? Sail another line.

It's similar to those who don't want to dress formally for formal night demand that HAL change their code to match what other Lines or doing.

BINGO! We have a winner.

I love to dress up and hate the dumbing down of the dress code. When people whine, I point them to the HAL website. Have posted: "It's HAL's right to make the rules. Don't like 'em? Sail another line" enough times, I sure better remember it when the shoe is on the other foot.

I just checked the cruise critic smoking policy of each line and was suprised to discover that P and O, Fred.Olsen, Peter Deilman and MSC have more restrictive policies than HAL or Princess.

MSC says they are 90% smoke free. This must be by the square footage. lol :rolleyes:

HulaMoon, I have a talent for destroying around-the-neck ionizers in 15 days or less :eek: . (Yep, I'm a klutz. They get dropped inside a purse, banged against hard surfaces when I bend over, droppped when I'm adjusting the strap around my neck....you get the idea!)

So, I often just buy a cheapie off eBay, and assume it will be toast by cruise end. The problem with the cheapies: parts which don't stand up to careful extended use (battery compartment cover/connections, usually).

So, I buy something like this, which won't last long:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Personal-Wearable-Air-Purifier-Portable-Ionizer-Ion-NEW_W0QQitemZ320474518864QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9dc51550

Instead of something like this, which will last:

http://www.natural-living.com/wein_as150mm_minimate.php

While this is not a company I would normally buy from, I got two plug into wall ionizers for $30 from Haband, and they work just fine:

http://www.haband.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.detail/productID/22df9c34-a863-44c3-8fac-bd2ff1dc0cbd/categoryID/08fe9cb8-47e4-48c0-b641-032f2ad52c2f/

I spend/waste a lot of time on Google, looking for ionizers or other air cleaners, then checking the reveiws of the products and companies.

As a Canadian, I also like this company:

http://www.heavenfresh.ca/

So do plane crashes ... :rolleyes:

but the argument remains that you can control whether you choose to smoke. You cannot control whether you will be involved in a plane crash.

There's this really hacky guy I know who always coughs like crazy and tells me, "hey, ya gotta go somehow anyway". Kind of weird. He's pretty gross so I like to avoid him anyway. Oh well, enough of this. Yikes.:eek:

Smoking is such an interesting subject. It kills many people, yet there are those who will defend it, to the death!

Amazing.

Smoking is a legal activity in the United States. There are some who will defend others' right to engage in legal activites, so long as they do not force the activity on those who do not want to participate.

Smoking is a legal activity in the United States. There are some who will defend others' right to engage in legal activites, so long as they do not force the activity on those who do not want to participate.

Understandably. However, "forcing the activitiy on those who do not want to participate" includes second hand smoke. I don't want it forced on me by someone's smoking activity. It may be legal but it is a true health hazard to many people.

I'm done here.

Goodnight all.:)

I don't want it forced on me by someone's smoking activity. It may be legal but it is a true health hazard to many people.

Then you need to be petitioning HAL to have space set aside for smokers --- space where smokers can go (at least one inside, and one outside) that will be separate, ventilated, and away from non-smokers.

Then you need to be petitioning HAL to have space set aside for smokers --- space where smokers can go (at least one inside, and one outside) that will be separate, ventilated, and away from non-smokers.

But HAL had that ... the little room next to the Explorers Lounge, and Oak Room. And look what happened, they were removed or replaced with something else. :confused:

But HAL had that ... the little room next to the Explorers Lounge, and Oak Room. And look what happened, they were removed or replaced with something else. :confused:

Exactly, Vic. And that's why smokers and non-smokers should be united in the quest to have at least one of those rooms returned to smoking room status---or a suitable substitute identified and made a smoking room.

Non-smokers should not have to be assaulted by second-hand smoke, and smokers should have a place to go where they can indulge in comfort.

I must be completely dense because I simply do not understand the arguments here. If you don't like HAL's smoking policy, cruise on another line that suits your desires. If you don't like HAL's dress code policy, cruise on another line that suits your desires. If you don't like HAL's trays-in-the-Lido policy, cruise on another line that suits your desires. I could go on and on...

There IS a cruise line out there that has the policies you desire. Why the he** would you choose a cruise line with policies that irritate you? Is it because you've cruised on HAL for years and years? If so, then you are well aware of their policies and their change in policies. Maybe they've changed into or not changed into the line you desire anymore.

I guess loyalty to a cruise line is like a marriage. You put up with the crap you don't like but stay with your partner because you have lots of great memories together and keep hoping they'll change (or stop changing) to suit your desires. ;)

Anyway, I just have to say that this is the most civil smoking thread I've ever read.

And, BTW, I smoke and dress formally and could care less what the Lido tray policy is. :D

Diane

Exactly, Vic. And that's why smokers and non-smokers should be united in the quest to have at least one of those rooms returned to smoking room status---or a suitable substitute identified and made a smoking room.

Non-smokers should not have to be assaulted by second-hand smoke, and smokers should have a place to go where they can indulge in comfort.

United in the quest ??

But that's what anti-smokers "don't" want. It has to be THEIR way, or else.

One good onboard fire due to somebody liquored up and smoking in their room.......... It happens, cruise ships are not exempt!!

Fire is the most lethal emergency to deal with in any mode of public transportation

As more & more states & local communities ban indoor smoking under the guise of worker protection, why can't folks accept the same from a cruise line? I mean, even some hotels ban indoor smoking. Ballparks do too, so to have limited availability while on vacay should not be unexpected.

It's utterly ridiculous to split the ship port/starboard smoker/non-smoker. There's simply not that many smokers anymore. But those who do enjoy lighting up (including crew) should have a place to indulge onboard.

I don't see a problem with limiting smoking to outdoor public areas only. Even if someone is tucked into the tiniest of inside cabins, it isn't that far to the promenade deck for a cigarette break. And that is covered in the event of bad weather.

If the ship can also provide an Oak Room (on its own hvac system) w/a bar (revenue generating) even better! :)

I agree! I was pointing out that assigning sides as smoking or smoke-free is not even a viable accommodation.
I'm with you brother. My point is simply that there is really very little middle ground or suitable accommodation here for smoking on a cruise ship. Like smoking on airplanes, trying to handle the small number of individuals and their need "to indulge themselves" by introducing both a small and potentially deadly fire AND unhealthful, second-hand smoke into very tight shared passenger spaces, is simply unsafe, illogical, costly and logistically unworkable.

As someone else already suggested, if smokers must smoke, they should stay at home but don't expect a cruise line, airplane or hotel to accommodate you. In fact, in general, society is moving toward no accommodations at all. If you are a smoker looking for legit places to indulge, the world is already a shrinking place. A cruise ship will soon be just one more place you will not be allowed to do your thing...

Archived