what is the best over the counter motion sickness medicine for cruises?

csgsu

does it work good? my gf is telling me to get something prescribed but I feel like its a waste to go see the doctor for that

I've only been seasick once, but took Bonine. It knocked me out, which was fine, since it was nighttime. I always have it with me, just in case.

For me it's Bonine (over the counter). I get really seasick and this works great for me and doesn't make me drowsy at all. I start taking the night before I get on board and take one in the morning and one at night (unless we have a lot of port days in a row-then I skip it and start again the night before we start sea days.)

Everyone is different so you might have to try several different things to find what works best for you.

Be very careful if you go to the doc and get the patch. It can have some not so pleasant side effects. I tried it and didn't feel well so switched to Bonine.

I have taken Meclizine for severe Virtigo and it works wonderfully. Also it did not make me sleepy. I was unable to stand up or open my eyes without falling over, slamming into walls and "getting sick". I also keep it with me and when I feel the symptoms coming on, I take a pill and they work really fast.

I went to the doctor and got a prescription for it, but I think you can get the same thing over the counter. I am going to take this on my cruise. Hope it works for you.

I get very seasick/motion sickness and use Bonine and have not had any issues on any of our cruises. I tried patch for one day it made me severely dehydrated and I did not like the way it made me feel overall.

Also, cruised once with an older gentleman (in his late 50's) who was wearing the patch and he had a siezure at dinner one night (about 4 nights into our cruise) right in front of all of us. It was the most frightening thing. The ships doctors later said it was most likely caused because of the patch. So be very careful if you do decide to go with the patch.

The pursers desk will give you packets of 25 mg. Medi-Meclizine if you forget or run out....Over the counter products work great..Best to start taking at bedtime a day or two prior to boarding and continue...If at all concerned..Good luck and enjoy your cruise !!!!

Bonine is meclizine, which is also the very same ingredient in Dramamine II. The original Dramamine, IMHO, works better but makes you very sleepy. You can often find generic brands of both medicines at your drug store or Walmart-type store - buy whatever is cheapest.

I am very prone to seasickness, so I bring both, but generally only use the meclizine as that does the trick unless the seas are very high (over 20').

As others mention, bring ginger pills. They work wonders as well, but I personally use them as a supplement to the medicines unless the seas are pretty calm in which case I use them alone.

Good advice to take BEFORE the trip begins, and then see how the seas are. Also, if you happen to be talking to your doctor you can discuss meclizine dosage. In most cases people can be safe taking double the standard dosage, which is what the prescription dosage is. This would be in cases where the seas were pretty bad, not in normal situations. But as I am not a doctor I am not saying to do so without your doctor's advice.:)

Edited by phoenix_dream

I have to agree with the folks posting on Meclizine, found in Dramamine II or other Anti vert medicines. I have mild vertigo and can get motion sickness from just thinking about the waves.

A suggestion I would have is to try a couple of the medicines before you go to see how they will affect you, i.e. sleepiness, pupil dilation or other. Some folks are allergic to the medicine in the patch. Don’t want to find that out on your vacation. Want hurt to try ahead of time.

• 8 years later...

We have found the acupressure wrist bands are generally great.  You can tighten them or use two if seas are rough.  We also use ginger tabs and drink less alcohol on rough seas. 

For our upcoming South American cruise around THE Horn, we are also using Rx patches behind the ears for good measure.

I suffer from horrible seasickness. I used dramamine for years while cruising until I was introduced to sea bands on board once when I forgot my pill bottle. They are great and I don’t have to wear constantly either. I usually wear the first day and if the seas are calm remove until I feel the ship rocking a bit. I highly recommend them to anyone with motion sickness.

For our first cruise a year ago, I didn’t know if I would need it but thought I should get it just in case.   I just called my doctor and she called in the patches for me.  I got sea sick on the first sea day.  I put the patch on, very small circle behind my ear and it worked great.  Within about 2 hours I was fine.  Definitely worth the money, I think it was around $60 for the patches.  You just use one at a time and it’s last 72 hours.  I just got her to call it in again so I’m set to go for this one.  

I started out with the ginger pills but they didn’t work for me.  I didn’t have any side effects with the patches I also used the sea bands, so I’m not sure which worked.  But I’m planning on using the patch alone this time.  But taking the sea bands in case I need them.

Edited by LuckyLori

1 hour ago, barb65 said:

Wrist bands along with Motion Eaze, a liquid that you dab behind your ears, works best for me. Both available at Wal-Mart.

Motion Eaze for me too! All the charter fishing boats in my area have it onboard for the tourists who go out fishing and then turn "green" before they even make it out of the inlet LOL.

https://motioneaze.com/stop-seasickness-with-motioneaze/