Mexican Blankets

timjanet_zinck

I am visiting the ports of Cabo, PV, Mazalan in the Mexican Riveria in April

Does anyone have suggestions of the best place to get an authentic Mexican blanket at one of these ports......thanks

I'm sure you can buy them at any of these ports! Cabo has a market right at the end of the pier , everything there looks good. I haven't bought them there. We have a couple mexican blankets my parents got us from Arizona or Calexico, they were fine. make sure you barter.:D

I think they are having some fun with you. Most of the stuff you see in the shops now is made in China, anyway. :D

I'm not kidding, and the "Mexican blankets" I see throughout the country are made in Mexico. My experience purchasing such blankets, and comments from others I know who've done that - have been that oftentimes the blankets are full of fleas. Buy one. Don't buy one. It's, obviously, your choice.

are you serious, I know people who have bought ones home with no problems at all, can anyone give me some positive input or should I really avoid this....

Gomexico has been outed time and time again on many boards for his negative remarks about Mexico....

We buy ours in PV and try to get the heavier ones....

We have about 14 of those blankets and have never ever had any attachements to them. They are so easy to care for, when I get them home I wash them in cold water and add a little salt (it sets the color) then throw them in a low setting dryer and after that just wash and dry them like normal.

My oldest blanket is 13 years old now and is still looking great :)

Mernski.....you mentioned getting one in Arizona....I will be there the week before the cruise......do you think pricing would be better there or in the ports?

My parents got some in either Yuma or Calexico. Do you know about the flee markets in Yuma, they are great! You can get some really good deals! I'm not sure about the ports, but if you are in Yuma take a look at the markets! IF you don't find them there, you may find them in Cabo.:)

I have two of them, one is 16 years old, and just fine.. really durable. it was not buggy either.

Personally I think while they may be dusty if sold an an outdoor stall, there is little reason they would necessarily have fleas. Fleas need and want blood. Since blankets being sold are not being "used" by human or animals, there is likely no fleas nesting in them. Its a bit silly to think there would be really. They don't let their dogs sleep on them and then sell them to you ,, honestly, if it looks clean ,, it likely is clean( but dusty)

Speaking of buying and of markets, has anyone seen those heavy duty double hammocks like they sell in Playa del Carmen? Hubby has worn his out and we need to get a replacement. We're doing the Mex Riviera cruise too.

Speaking of buying and of markets, has anyone seen those heavy duty double hammocks like they sell in Playa del Carmen? Hubby has worn his out and we need to get a replacement. We're doing the Mex Riviera cruise too.

Try the Riverside market in PV, I think I rememer seeing those thick one there. Also when we were at Stone Island vendors had them as well.

hmmm. mexican blankets. Bet you could get a great price and quality and vermin free where the locals shop, like the central market area of Mazatlan

the entire area around the main market building is a Mexican form of a shopping mall

IMG_4371.jpg

located as "b" on the map below

MazatlanMapdowntown4.jpg

And you could likely get there from the cruise pier for around $2 - $3 in a cool Mazatlan Taxi

IMG_4617a.jpg

I'm not kidding, and the "Mexican blankets" I see throughout the country are made in Mexico. My experience purchasing such blankets, and comments from others I know who've done that - have been that oftentimes the blankets are full of fleas. Buy one. Don't buy one. It's, obviously, your choice.

US Customs would not allow you to bring them into the US if there are problems that the product.

Have to wonder where one gets these notions to berate everything.

US Customs would not allow you to bring them into the US if there are problems that the product.

Have to wonder where one gets these notions to berate everything.

How will the U.S. Customs inspectors, who aren't likely to look at a blanket you've brought into the USA, know there's a "problem"? I've purchased a number of the blankets over almost 40-years, and though not all have had fleas, many have. Then again, I'm purchasing what I consider "Mexican blankets", not some tourist trinket. A question for you: how many of the blankets have you purchased? Thanks.

Archived