EMERGENCY advice needed! :(

mame2boyz

Like some others have said, see if any other family members or parents of the kids' friends will take one each (if not all three). Considering the circumstances, you should be able to find ppl.

as long as they don't have work related issues and are available to chauffeur the children to school and activities at the last minute...and of course the op should pay them. Sounds like a great idea..if someone is willing.....

Kids don't cost much more to bring...It might be much cheaper than canceling your trip.

If school is an issue, discuss it with their teachers ASAP...many offer independent study as an option...so your kids can still get full school credit while they are gone.

tell the school about the situtation. Ill family memebers are excusable absences

as long as they don't have work related issues and are available to chauffeur the children to school and activities at the last minute...and of course the op should pay them. Sounds like a great idea..if someone is willing.....

you just keep adding more salt to this wound with your remarks and seem so opposed to them finding someone in the family that may be able to assist... I just don't get why you are trying to make it appear that noone in their family or firends would be willing to assist... you must be a very hateful and negative person in reality.

no one has mentioned what the cost of the trip for the 2 of them is, have they? But it could be something like $1500 or so right? Maybe less...but we are not talking $4000 now are we? From what I gather, no one pays that kind of money for 2 anymore. So everybody is saying take the kids...it will be cheaper....ok, 3 more pax...tips...excursions...crap in ports...whatever....adds up...

Then everyone is saying...find someone else to watch them....oh, sure..just what someone is looking to do...be it an aunt or a best friend....come on...take 3 kids at the last minute so the parents can cruise.....really...oh, I forgot everyone always wants to help out...and every pareant is comfortable asking them for such a big favor...right....:rolleyes:

Face it...3 young kids will be an extreme burden on the grandmother...what with a husband recuperating...oh that's right...it is only a one day procedure....and I am just positive that he will be up and around the next day and glad to help with the kids.:rolleyes:

So let's use some logic here and just deal with the facts....the babysitters are no longer available...and the op has no insurance....now why didn't they get insurance? They have 3 yound kids FTLOG....they could have gotten sick or hurt....and the op would be in the same situation...sorry but the op has to eat the loss if the babysitters are no longer available.

And one more time....what are we talking about here? $1500 or $4000? people lose or wastet that kind of money all the time....sorry but true.

Kids drop out of college after tuition is paid....cars get totaled with weeks of purchase and do not get fully reimbursed....people lose engagement rings....make stupid investments......get scammed...whatever...it wouldn't be the first time that someone has had to lose money...wether they can afford it or not...wether it was their doing or not.

Sorry to be harsh...and I do wish her dad a speedy and healthy recovery...but the simple fact is that there were too many variables in her planning to not buy insurance...the kids ages....the fact that there are 3 of them...the grandparents....and the fact that there was no thought given to the what ifs........sorry, but true:(

Perhaps OP should have bought insurance...but hindsight is 20/20 vision. Berating her for not purchasing insurance does not solve the problem now. It amazes me the people who respond to a request for "what should I do" with "what you should have done."

I'm thinking you don't know what having a close family is like...we help each other out when they need help...even if it means chauffeuring the children to school and activities at the last minute...and of course I would never expect them to pay me with money. At some point in my life I will/have needed help from my family. It's just what family does.

I agree in taking the kids .Could you go to the nearby passport office to get passports in less then 24 hours .In Canada it is possible but more expensive and you do have to go to Ottawa for it ..I'm not sure about a local office but it might be feasable

How much is this cruise worth to you? Perhaps birth certificates would be enough???Keep talking to Carnival Keep asking for supervisors

If you do not have passports for kids .GET THEM You never know when you could need them .Mine have had theirs since teenie tiny

Good Luck

I hope your Dad is OK

First I Hope and Pray for your fathers complete recovery.

As for what you should do, NO one and I mean NO one can tell you what to do. You know if you have friends/family available to watch your children. You are the only one to know if you can afford to pay to take the kids with you,and YOU are the only one that make any of the above happen.

As for the people that are telling you you should have bought insurance, We never buy this insurance. One day we may be sorry but feel the extra fees involved to either rebook a flight or rebook a cruise is cheaper than the insurance would be over many flights/cruises/vacations. How many times have people really had to use this insurance?

I sincerely hope your able to take your cruise as planned, but if your not able to, I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason, we may not undertand what that reason could be but it is there.

Please post here what you have decided to do, and ignore all the neg responses you have gotten. I have found that alot of people love to post neg responses to anything that comes up on these forums....

Good luck and prayers are with you and your family.

I'm thinking you don't know what having a close family is like...we help each other out when they need help...even if it means chauffeuring the children to school and activities at the last minute...and of course I would never expect them to pay me with money. At some point in my life I will/have needed help from my family. It's just what family does.

I have no family - both parents (now deceased) were only children so no aunts uncles cousins etc. and don't live anywhere near the other set.I have many good friends but all have full time jobs, own family committments and do not live in area of our schools, activities etc. so could not drive them to actiivites. My only option in this case would be to cancel and eat cost (if no insurance) Often it is not that families and friends aren't close and would help in a blink - sometimes it just can't happen.

The problem is that the ship is SOLD OUT... and I suspect that the stateroom the OP has, was designed to accommodate 2 passengers.....maybe the OP will get back to us with an update. And lets all hope that their father recovers quickly so that perhaps he too can join in a family cruise after he recovers with his grand children, children and inlaws !

My dad has not been feeling well. He just found out today after tests this wk with a cardiologist that "His heart is sluggish, not contracting good, valves leaking & calicium is on the outside of his heart...say his heart is working 30% capacity right now" So he will be having a heart cath this week to find out whether stints or open heart surgery is needed.

My husband & i are suppose to leave Sunday to drive down to New Orleans for our cruise on the Triumph. (which leaves MONDAY)

The problem is that they were our babysitters. We have called Carnival & they say we cannot get our money back or transfer to another cruise. :(

Any ideas or other options? Some friends of ours had a medical emergency come up 3 days before their cruise & Carnival told them they could buy insurance-which we were told we can't do this late.

Thanks for any and all help!

Well...it is Feb 2...I hope they made their cruise.

Can you bring the kids with you? I know it wouldn't be the same, but it beats not going at all.

I don't know about anyone else here, but how could I go on a cruise when my father is in the hospital having a cardiac procedure? Nothing with the heart is "Minor surgery." I don't think the issue is what to do with the kids - it's how to avoid losing all the money they paid for their cruise.

Count your blessings that your father went to the doctor and they discovered the problem before he had a heart attack.

Sorry I don't have any good advice about your cruise money, but I hope everything turns out well with your father.

I don't know about anyone else here, but how could I go on a cruise when my father is in the hospital having a cardiac procedure? Nothing with the heart is "Minor surgery." I don't think the issue is what to do with the kids - it's how to avoid losing all the money they paid for their cruise.

Count your blessings that your father went to the doctor and they discovered the problem before he had a heart attack.

Sorry I don't have any good advice about your cruise money, but I hope everything turns out well with your father.

Any surgery could be "major", I personally know people that have died during very minor surgeries...and working in hospitals, have witnessed other surprising incidents.

That said...I couldn't blame someone for deciding to call off their vacation, and I wouldn't blame someone for going ahead and cruising. It is a very personal decision, I am not in their shoes, and it is not for me to judge.

You must by travel insurance before the event occurs.

That's the whole purpose of insurance.....to cover emergency-type situations that prevent you from taking the cruise.

Sorry, you are out of luck.

Oh, and your friends? Didn't happen. Carnival - and any other company - won't sell insurance 3 days before the cruise......and after the event has occurred.

Archived