Found a camera and photos from qm2

MAUREGATO

Then that is a pity. What wonderful voyages,observations and posts have been lost to eternity....Meanwhile,in the Floataway lounge, I can learn from 2004 (4 years before the tandem crossing) that Captain Stubing's Daughter is getting married. Clearly much more important than a tandem crossing of the North Atlantic by the only two express liners then in service....!

It really is sad that they do this. I understand from a friend on another group that I post on who is actually a good friend of the MD on QM2 has asked for his help.

Crikey,does no one here have any contacts at BBC or Sky news?? Or any newspapers?? I'm sure they'd run this story.....the pics are so clear they'd be easily identified..Ok,edited to say I've emailed Sky and BBC with a link to this thread...

I believe that the OP said earlier that he had already been in contact with the BBC but had received no response from them.

J

Indeed! Perhaps, where the BBC is concerned, constant dripping will wear away the stone :)

J

Doesn't the ship have pictures of all the passenger's ship ID's? They must be in the computer on the ship. Couldn't they look at the photos and match that will the passengers that owned the camera? You seem to know the cruise that they were on, right?

Doesn't the ship have pictures of all the passenger's ship ID's? They must be in the computer on the ship. Couldn't they look at the photos and match that will the passengers that owned the camera? You seem to know the cruise that they were on, right?

Yes, the photo is stored centrally now when it is taken for ID purposes. But I have no idea how long the the images are retained. Of course, the ship's photographers also take photographs of just about every passenger at some time or another and, no doubt, these will be retained in digital format for some time. I have a feeling though that Cunard may be somewhat reluctant to allow a crew member to devote the amount of time required to sifting through several thousand digital images trying to match the faces.

You never know though, they might just give it a try. I think the OP has been in touch with Cunard so who knows?

J

I have been following this thread to see how it turned out, I can't help with the ships but I agree that that last pic is at the smithsonian air meuseum, the one on the mall not at dulles airport, I hope they get there pics back,if the Spanish will print a story I am sure an English paper will do somthing.Even a paper like the metro.

I think this is a wonderful story. I've seen the photos in a Spanish paper.

I'm a correspondent at the BBC - I do a lot of their maritime stories - and would love to help track down the owner of the camera. So, if you're the gentleman who found the camera please get in touch with me? paul.clifton@bbc.co.uk

Thank you, Paul for helping. This story is getting better and better. We have all been quite concerned about the rightful owner of the camera getting his photos. Please, if the story is published somewhere, let us know where? Many of us are from the US and wouldn't necessarily be aware of the site.

Gail:)

Hi.

I have been so busy with the new puppy and only looked at a few posts on here.

We were on the wonderful crossing and Im just wondering if I can email the link to the MD of the resturant if he would narrow it down to the waiter and what tables he had-worth a try.

i will email the link to him today, But i know he does not alway have time to check his emails every day

Lost property on board would only be dealt with shoreside this far after any loss on board.

Hopefully the passenger would have filed a lost property report with the Pursers Office (or Concierge for those with access), so Cunard may well be able to help, provided the passenger gave model number etc etc.

Unless all the contents of the memory card are published online or made available to Cunard (doubt it due to data protection issues) I very much doubt the restaurant Maitre D' would be able to assist.

:)

I think this is a wonderful story. I've seen the photos in a Spanish paper.

I'm a correspondent at the BBC - I do a lot of their maritime stories - and would love to help track down the owner of the camera. So, if you're the gentleman who found the camera please get in touch with me? paul.clifton@bbc.co.uk

Someone else mentioned BBC Breakfast.......can we please see a Bill & Sian interview with Mauregato? :)

Mauregato.....thank you for starting this thread, and thank you for your efforts, I do hope you succeed in reuniting these memories with their owner.

It would seem that the press/media is the best way to go about this, & if Paul from the BBC is who I think he is then this story has a good chance of coverage - IIRC he was on board QE2 covering her farewell to Southampton for the BBC South Today special. If you haven't already done so Mauregato, then do get in touch with Paul.

Having read some of the more "inventive" ideas on here I'm rather surprised someone hasn't suggested drafting in Captain McNaught to lead the search for the cameras owner :D

Hello again,

Paul@bbc, You have an e.mail from Me.

Thanks again to all of You for Your help.

My cruise experience:

COSTA RIVIERA: Mediterranean Sea : Italy / Greece

NORWEGIAN JEWEL: Mediterranean Sea : Spain / Italy

NORWEGIAN JADE: Norwegian Fiords and Nord Cape, from Southampton

RUBY PRINCESS: Italy / Greece / Turkey.

Next Trip: Maybe "ICELAND"

Thank you for the kind comments from people. I have spoken to a friend of the fisherman who found the camera - the man himself is at sea.

We will do a live news item on BBC1 after 1830 this evening, and put the story online later. I really hope it helps to find the person who dropped their holiday pictures over the side of the ship, dropping them to the bottom of the Atlantic ocean. If it works, what a wonderful story!

Paul Clifton

Thank you for the kind comments from people. I have spoken to a friend of the fisherman who found the camera - the man himself is at sea.

We will do a live news item on BBC1 after 1830 this evening, and put the story online later. I really hope it helps to find the person who dropped their holiday pictures over the side of the ship, dropping them to the bottom of the Atlantic ocean. If it works, what a wonderful story!

Paul Clifton

Great news Paul - just hope that it gets a result.

Could you confirm if the programme will be broadcast on all regions? If not, which region please.

Many thanks & regards,

David

Paul Clifton

Would this be on BBC1 National News or South Today? My partner isn't back till late & has been following the story on here, and it would be good to know which programme to record.

Thanks in advance! :)

Great news Paul - just hope that it gets a result.

Could you confirm if the programme will be broadcast on all regions? If not, which region please.

Many thanks & regards,

David

And if anyone is able to watch this, could someone please record it and post it on this board so we can all see it? I really would hate to miss it.

Archived