Travelscoot now a rental option

xxoocruiser

Not certain if this violates any of the CC rules so I apolgize in advance. However , there's been much discussion on this forum as to how the Travelscoot is avalaible only for purchase . In checking scooter rental prices for an upcoming cruise, I happened to contact http://www.shipscooters.com/ and spoke with the owner. He advised that shipscooters.com is now renting the TRAVELSCOOT but his website currently does not state this. Until now the TRAVELSCOOT has only been available for purchase and not available as a rental. Note that this is the only company currently renting the TRAVELSCOOT.

Not certain if this violates any of the CC rules so I apolgize in advance. However , there's been much discussion on this forum as to how the Travelscoot is avalaible only for purchase . In checking scooter rental prices for an upcoming cruise, I happened to contact http://www.shipscooters.com/ and spoke with the owner. He advised that shipscooters.com is now renting the TRAVELSCOOT but his website currently does not state this. Until now the TRAVELSCOOT has only been available for purchase and not available as a rental. Note that this is the only company currently renting the TRAVELSCOOT.

The biggest problem I see with this is that ONLY THE APPROVED rental agencies can be used on any Cruise line, they each have one's they have approved and they are not all the same ones.

Also from the descriptions I have read of it on here, does it not go backwards? that could be a major problem for some people, and if you didn't know that could be a nasty surprise if you rented it.

The biggest problem I see with this is that ONLY THE APPROVED rental agencies can be used on any Cruise line, they each have one's they have approved and they are not all the same ones.

Also from the descriptions I have read of it on here, does it not go backwards? that could be a major problem for some people, and if you didn't know that could be a nasty surprise if you rented it.

Do you know for certain that shipscooters.com is not an approved vendor ? From my conversation with the owner he has had extensive conversations with RCCI . So it's very likely that they may well be an approved vendor or soon to be an approved vendor. I did not explore this further as I was inquiring about pre-cruise delivery.

Secondly, Shipscooters.com delivers and pickups at the pier entrance . Since they do not require entry to the ship, it is not necessary that they be an approved vendor. You pick up / drop off at the pier and bring it on the ship yourself. It is not delivered to the cabin. This way you have the scooter through the whole embarking/debarking process . Which actually might makes it a little more convenient. The person doesn't have to wait for a wheelchair transport. They also have the capibility of delivering it to your precruise hotel.

Though it does not go in reverse , there are many people that find this to be a better alternative because of it's size, weight and ease of portability. So who are we to judge and determine what would be best for someone. There have been many people on this forum that has expressed interested in the Travelscoot and would have perferred to have rented it. Instead of purchasing it for limited use. So take the original posting for what it is.... Just to inform those interested that this option is now available if it meets their needs.

I am very pleased with my travelscoot. However I would have liked to test drive one before I purchased. Having a rental unit for a week or so would have met that need. It does not have a reverse gear but that has not been a problem for me.

• 9 months later...

Thank You, xxoo, for letting people know that Travelscoots are available for rental. That's a wonderful option!

I bought one last January to use on our 20 February cruise and loved it. I use it now and then when I'm at a mall that requires a lot of walking. And, just yesterday, took it to Providence to one of our granddaughters Irish Dance festivals at the Civic Center...without it, I couldn't have gone.

I'm having THR on 12/17, and we're going on a cruise 1/28. Without a scooter, I wouldn't be confident enough to have booked a cruise this close (actually I booked it last winter....and this was the earliest date I could get for the surgery! :eek: ).

I guess folks have to do the math. And decide if it's better to buy or to rent depending upon how much use they'll get from it.

There's a blog on-line, www.mytravelscoot.blogspot.com, that's quite informative and Elizabeth has lots of photos, too.

It does not have a reverse gear but that has not been a problem for me.

Though it does not go in reverse , there are many people that find this to be a better alternative because of it's size, weight and ease of portability.

As a VERY happy Travelscoot owner, I can positively say it absolutely goes backwards!!!! It just does not go in reverse powered by the battery. It backs up with your feet, just as if you were pushing your chair away from a table after a meal. Easy.

Just to be clear.

Marlee

As a VERY happy Travelscoot owner, I can positively say it absolutely goes backwards!!!! It just does not go in reverse powered by the battery. It backs up with your feet, just as if you were pushing your chair away from a table after a meal. Easy.

Just to be clear.

Marlee

I've been VERY happy with my Travelscoot too. I took it yesterday to WalMart knowing WalMart was going to be super busy with pre-Thanksgiving shoppers and all the store scooters would be hard to come by. I ended up doing a mini-demo for 3 people while DH was in the check-out line. I always get a lot of questions when I am out with it. I call the reverse action "Flintstone Reverse" :D

Archived