woodwind snorkeling bonaire

luvtoswim

We just sailed with Dee last week. She and her crew were phenominal! They took out two groups...one group of those who were more experienced snorkelers and another of the less experienced or not as comfortable in the water. They were attentive, helpful, and very professional. One of the best tours we've ever done!!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How easy is it to get in the water and back out on this vessel? I am a big guy and need a sturdy ladder to get out of the water and just want to make sure I will be OK if I book this tour.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 months later...
How easy is it to get in the water and back out on this vessel? I am a big guy and need a sturdy ladder to get out of the water and just want to make sure I will be OK if I book this tour.

Thanks in advance.

We did the Woodwind in November of last year. DH is 6'5" and 240 lbs. He didn't have any trouble. Hope this helps!

Just curious, how far is their meeting point from the ship? The 5 hour tour looks to be a great value, but if we have to add cab fare to it we may keep looking.

They meet you right outside the ship, on the dock area. It is an easy walk of about 2 blocks to the right to get to the Woodwind. You can see it from the ship.

Gosh, we wanted to do the Woodwind but Dee apparently doesn't do any tours in the afternoon on Fridays when our ship is in port. Wah. :(

Maybe you could email and ask if she would do a special trip. Since we are the only ship in port that day, she might appreciate the business if she isn't already busy. Try asking on our roll call if others are interested. You might be able to get a group together. We would do it but are already doing 2 others. One week from tomorrow!

Maybe you could email and ask if she would do a special trip. Since we are the only ship in port that day, she might appreciate the business if she isn't already busy. Try asking on our roll call if others are interested. You might be able to get a group together. We would do it but are already doing 2 others. One week from tomorrow!

Thanks, but I did write to Dee a few days ago and have not received a response yet. Will let everyone know when/if I do. :rolleyes:

Thanks, but I did write to Dee a few days ago and have not received a response yet. Will let everyone know when/if I do. :rolleyes:

Well, dang, dang, dang! I finally got an e-mail from them telling me they had space for two more people in an (unadvertised) afternoon tour that day. Right away I started writing a response to sign us up when I got another e-mail from them within minutes saying, sorry, the tour was now fully booked. Oh, if only they'd responded to my first e-mail even one day sooner than they did! I'm definitely bummed! :(

I've asked to be placed on the waiting list, but odds of someone cancelling seem slim. People sometimes don't show up, but they rarely notify such tours in advance.

So now I'll have to make a backup plan.

Let me know what you come up with. This has been the hardest port to plan for!

We'll probably just find a water taxi to Klein Bonaire and snorkel on our own off the beach. Does anyone know the cost and availability for water taxis on Bonaire? The ship charges $29 for this, so I'm thinking we should be able to find one for less. With six ports to cover, all the costs are adding up. :cool:

We contacted Woodwind on Bonaire for the 5 hour trip, and because our ship is in port, they only offer two 3 hour tours. We would like something LONGER than 3 hours, possibly offering lunch, and of course, great snorkeling! Any suggestions or good tour groups you recommend?

most local tour operators work with the cruiseline.. Woodwind is the only one I know that does not. .most are 3 hours in Bonaire. one couple from my ship signed up twice in one day.. guess they are eating lunch at 3 pm.

• 2 weeks later...

I will say honestly that this is the best tour (land or sea) that I have ever been on. Walked off the Ship had a beverage at a bar close, at our meetup time found Dee very easily and arrived within minutes to the dive shop/hotel where the cat leaves from.

Just very easy, very wlecoming, and I cannot recommend this tour enough.

If you look for woodwind snorkel on facebook you have view pictures that they post pretty regularly.

Have a great time:D--- this is totally worth the cost! (and I am a very frugal traveler!)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - Woodwind looks like its just what we were lookin for, but, before we make a reservation, how can we find out what time the trip would begin? Is there an e-mail address I could write to? We don't like early morning sailings. Thanks.:p

Hi - Woodwind looks like its just what we were lookin for, but, before we make a reservation, how can we find out what time the trip would begin? Is there an e-mail address I could write to? We don't like early morning sailings. Thanks.:p

info@woodwindbonaire.com

Ulf carries a blackberry and has responded to me within hours. The times can be different from what the website shows so yes, it's best to check with him.

From what I understand (and it's certainly what happened when we were there last March), the wind can really come up in the afternooon, so if you can make it earlier (I prefer later, myself, but make myself get up for excursions), I think the snorkeling is usually better.

• 2 months later...

We used Woodwind for our Dec cruise. Truly a professional group. We had the captain and 3 guides. They make first time snorkelers feel very comfortable. If I knew they had such wonderful gear, that they cleanse, I would have left mine home. They even have masks for people who wear glasses.

We snorkelled for about 1 1/4 hours, in 3 groups. I've been to great reefs before, and this was one of the best. Once back on board, they serve snacks. Beverages are also included.

I believe they sell a snorkel CD at the end of the cruise, for anyone wishing to purchase one. I don't think it was too expensive, but I didn't see anyone buy it.

The tour was $50 pp, plus gratuity. They put a bucket on the deck for tips.

Linda

Archived