Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elvirarodriguez

Questions about Acapulco?

HI, I will be more than glad to answer all the questions you might have about Acapulco, my town. Weather, currency, what to do, food, news, etc. anything you are concern about.

Acapulco has too much to offer, and people is so friendly!.

So, I´m here to clear your doubts.dance.gif

Let´s start with the pier location, the pier is located 5 to 10 minutes far away from the downtown also well known as the zocalo, there are plenty of shops around this area, pharmacy and post office are near by. I have to mention that you must buy mail stamps at the post office only, inside the ship terminal there´s not shop selling them. To mail your post cards you can either do it at the post office or drop them in the mail box outside the ship terminal. Inside the ship terminal there are jewelry shops, Mexican arts and crafts shops, pharmacy, bar, INTERNET and long distance services, information desk, tour-guides desk. No wifii or free wireless.

Tour guides from inside the terminal operate as taxis too, i should mention that their rates are a little higher than the local taxis outside the terminal (VW), but this is the reason why, first of all, tour guides inside the ship terminal speak English, have a/c vans for 10 to 15 passengers, taxis outside are small vw, no a/c and is rare that the driver speaks English, so it is better to be in the comfort zone and safe.

Now, if you do not want to spend money in a tour, there is a shuttle service, round trip, to the cliff divers which has a cheaper cost. This is also a service inside the ship terminal.

Walking to the divers? 35 minutes walking distance from the pier, not flat land. Safe? just like any other city, same safety rules: do not talk to strangers, do not wear jewelry, do not take your important documents with you, and in case of any problem the locals are very friendly.

We all care about tourists, so we all try to help.

Well until the next posts, I hope this tips help you when visiting Acapulco.hippie.gif

Thanks for the suggestions. My DW and I will travel there for the first time next January. We are open for suggestions and recommendations.

How far is the airport away?

The airport is located about 45 minutes from Acapulco downtown.(Pier)

You can hire a taxi service from the pier to the airport, or the ship terminal has a shuttle service from the pier to hotels and to the airport. Prices is cheaper.

See you in Acapulco!:)

Thanks for the suggestions. My DW and I will travel there for the first time next January. We are open for suggestions and recommendations.

Acapulco, what to do?

Well, here I am again, I have some tips about what to do in Acapulco, one of your first options, i should say will be to know the city, where you are and where to go, so do a city tour, that will give you an idea where you are standing.

also, among the things to do: visit the museum at San Diego Fort, right across street, entrance fee $ 3.50 USA dollars.

The Chapel of Peace is another interesting place to visit, there is not entrance fee but a donation for the chapel will be appreciated.

I need to mention the baby turtles farm, where you will be able to release a baby turtle. This is a great experience for the kids. A great Eco program.

The sunset at the flamingos hotel is an amazing experience and after that the cliff divers show at 7.00 pm is a great idea.

If you come to Acapulco for a little longer than 5 or 6 hours, then do the Tehuacalco Ruins. This is a fabulous place, discovered few years ago, and is a ceremonial site of the yopes, which were some of the firs settlers in the region including Acapulco.

Now, if you are coming on Sunday and stay for more that 7 hours, i will suggest to visit chilapa, outside of the city limits, this is a town where the Indians from the mountain come down to sell their crafts. you will love this place if you enjoy taking pictures with a lot of color or like the crafts, history or the real Mexican way to live.:)

Thanks for the info. You indicate that there is Internet access at the terminal but no wifi. Could you explain that please?

Thanks for the info. You indicate that there is Internet access at the terminal but no wifi. Could you explain that please?

The INTERNET services they offer is not wifi, no wireless,they rent the computers with INTERNET by the hour. i am not sure about the price but i believe is 5 dollars per hour.

Also I found up that there is a restaurant 5 minutes from the pier where they have free wireless, of course you have to eat or drink, the restaurant has 2 branches outside the pier, so either way you walk, left or right, you will see it. the name is 100% natural.:)

How far is "El Zorrito" restaurant and what is the best way to get there?

It is about 15-20 minutes by car. U can take a taxi or a local bus, local bus has to be BASE-CALETA (on the windshield). price is 5 pesos each, but if taking the bus with a/c price is 7.00 pesos each.

when taking a bus, you can mention to the driver u want to go to el zorrito by La Gran Plaza (mall), so they can stop right in front of it.:)

The Airport in Acapulco is about 15 miles from the port.

Distance is about 15-17 milles, but talking about time and with the traffic U have to considerer 45 minutes.

check this map

photostream

There are millions of Internet cafes in Acapulco. You will find them everywhere you look. And I have never used one for more than 5 pesos an hour. That is less than 37 cents US. And most have wireless or at least a cable.

I have used my laptop in the 100% Naturals and there are a few locations. Starbucks in the Diana mall has free Wi-Fi as does the Applebee's.

The 100% Natural near the port is nice and the one by Starbuck's in the area by Walmart is nice. The one by the Condesa beach is disgusting.

All the Starbucks are very generous with the Internet wireless and don't really care if you buy coffee or not. They will even give you an outlet to plug in.

My experience with the Port in Acapulco is pretty bad to say the least. Each time my wife and I have been on a cruise there it is a mad house. Vendors begging, tour guides begging, port cab drivers begging.

I wouldn't use any services in the port building. I feel like I have idiot stamped on my head each time we have been. They want triple or more for every service.

My advice is to get as far away from the port as quickly as you can and do not use their cabs unless you want to pay 10 times the amount a street cab will cost. And my experience is that most of them do not speak English any better than the street cab drivers.

Back to Internet, I can not be without it as many Americans. Even when I am on vacation I am working. I have to be connected every few hours and always have my laptop(s) with me.

My wife and I try to visit the Riviera as often as we can. Not so much for my sake as for my wife's sake. She says the warm air lubricates her old bones. After 40 years with her, I want her to be happy.

Hi,

I will be in Acapulco in April. What is the best way to view the cliff divers--from the cliffs or by boat below? If we go to the cliffs it is hard climbing? My friend had a hip replacement.

Thanks.

Is there a nice beach club that we could go to where you can get an umbrella and a chair as well as drinks and lunch? Thanks.

Jim

Hey do you know what time the lazer light show is at the fort?

Thanks

Hi,

I will be in Acapulco in April. What is the best way to view the cliff divers--from the cliffs or by boat below? If we go to the cliffs it is hard climbing? My friend had a hip replacement.

Thanks.

I will say from the cliff, but U don´t climb any cliffs to see the divers, the acces is at the top of the cliffs so you can be able to see the show from the first platform right next to the hotel or from inside the hotel.

There are millions of Internet cafés in Acapulco. You will find them everywhere you look. And I have never used one for more than 5 pesos an hour. That is less than 37 cents US. And most have wireless or at least a cable.

I have used my laptop in the 100% Naturals and there are a few locations. Starbucks in the Diana mall has free Wi-Fi as does the Applebee's.

The 100% Natural near the port is nice and the one by Starbuck's in the area by Walmart is nice. The one by the Condesa beach is disgusting.

All the Starbucks are very generous with the Internet wireless and don't really care if you buy coffee or not. They will even give you an outlet to plug in.

My experience with the Port in Acapulco is pretty bad to say the least. Each time my wife and I have been on a cruise there it is a mad house. Vendors begging, tour guides begging, port cab drivers begging.

I wouldn't use any services in the port building. I feel like I have idiot stamped on my head each time we have been. They want triple or more for every service.

My advice is to get as far away from the port as quickly as you can and do not use their cabs unless you want to pay 10 times the amount a street cab will cost. And my experience is that most of them do not speak English any better than the street cab drivers.

Back to Internet, I can not be without it as many Americans. Even when I am on vacation I am working. I have to be connected every few hours and always have my laptop(s) with me.

My wife and I try to visit the Riviera as often as we can. Not so much for my sake as for my wife's sake. She says the warm air lubricates her old bones. After 40 years with her, I want her to be happy.

I really don´t understand the way how you express your self about people offering their services, they are not begging, they all have the opportunity to make a leaving, and if the services are more expensive inside the ship terminal you have to considerer that they also have to pay higher rents and expenses. I just believe that everybody has the right to work, it´s up to U to choose among all of them. It is true that taxis inside the ship terminal have higher rates, but the vehicles and services they have to offer are outstanding and not just a regular car-taxi, their vehicles are vans for 10-15 passengers, a/c, and the drivers are not only taxi drivers but tour guides who make an effort to invest in their units and knowledge. Also is true that you can get a local taxi from outside the terminal, and also they have the right to make their living, but what you pay is what you get, the small local taxis are VW, no a/c and most of drivers speaks a little English or nothing, so the options are there for you to select but do not speak disparagingly of honest people who´s working.

Yes, INTERNET cafés are plenty of them in the city, and i can give you directions to some of them, yes outside are cheaper, it depends who comfortable you feel to go in the city, taking in consideration language, distances, etc..

Just put your cards on the table and do your best movement.

Enjoy your stay in Acapulco, and if any questions or concerns go to the tourist information inside the ship terminal.

Hasta la vista amigos!

ps. ColdinDenver: next time you come to Acapulco i would like to invite you and your wife lunch, so that bad experience you had in Acapulco can be replaced by a great friendship.:)

Your friend will not want to attempt the stairs to the cliff diver observation platform. There are about 300 steps all uneven.

Your friend can view perfectly from above and will not have to pay the 35 pesos. ($2.64 US converted).

You only pay if you go down the stairs. And don't spend the $160 pesos that the La Perla (El Mirador) wants for viewing from their restaurant / hotel. The show is ok to watch but it is not so great as to warrant the expense.

You can rent boats across from the Zocalo but they want more than $60 an hour. And you still have to pay the 35 pesos because another boat will actually pull up to collect. That I think is a crock. I got this information by talking to a boat captain one day. They are all pretty friendly folks.

With all due respect I will not retract my comment as I feel it is based in fact and from personal experience.

The Acapulco port is deplorable. It is from my understanding the only privately held port in Mexico and it is also the worst operated from my personal experience. I have traveled the world and I put the Acapulco Port on my Top 10 list of places I want to get away from quickly.

Hey do you know what time the lazer light show is at the fort?

Thanks

This is an educational Multimedia (sound & light) Show which narrates the history of the Port of Acapulco, sometimes offered in-season on Saturday evenings at 7:00 and/or 8:30 (particularly when cruise ships are in port).

The museum itself is open Tuesday through Sunday from 9:30am to 6:30pm - and is located directly opposite the cruise terminal on the Costera Miguel Alemán, Acapulco's main boulevard. You can walk across the adjoining bridge from the ship terminal.

The entrance fee is 45 Pesos - except on Sundays, when admission is free. Children under 13 and Seniors with a valid ID are always admitted free-of-charge.

Borrowed from Trip Adviser.

I have seen the lights but have not attended the show. I have walked through the fort a couple times to pass the moments. It is a nice area to find silence.

Is there a nice beach club that we could go to where you can get an umbrella and a chair as well as drinks and lunch? Thanks.

Jim

When I am in Acapulco I like to visit the beach at the Emporio Hotel. They have a day spa for my wife. They do not care that I am not a guest at the hotel and serve me on the beach as if I am a welcome friend and a guest.

The beach is very calm, the hotel grounds are comfortable and familiar to my style of life. The food is good, the bar is good and fairly priced.

They are also very close to other good locations such as the Diana Mall which has an abundance of stores such as Starbucks, Applebees, Hagen Daz Ice cream and other personal / American favorites.

They have never complained or made mention of me sitting in the pool and ordering from the bar. I think they are a class act.

There is a good little food court near Pizza Hut that has seafood, a little Italian restaurant that serves good lasagna. You will see pizza hut from the Diana Mall it is by the Glorieta (Round about) on the Costera.

elvirarodriguez: do you work (or does someone in your family) work in the tourism industry in Acapulco, or for someone working at the cruise ship terminal? Thanks!

Hey do you know what time the laser light show is at the fort?

Thanks

The Fort is closed today but I promise to go tomorrow and get the right info about it, cause as far as I know they do it on demand for groups only.

it does not matter to us if you are from the port Elvira. And yes, people need to work. As for my comment about begging I would like to clarify kindly.

We love Mexico and her people. We love the food, we love the beaches, we love Mexico in general.

I think there is a common misunderstanding between the vendors and tourists. When we are on vacation we do not want to be pestered. No is a universal word and most countries understand the word perfectly. But in Acapulco especially it seems that the word is ignored.

When we say no and the people do not move on but continue to pester us we consider this begging. No is no and no matter how many times a person asks the same question the answer is still no. After the first 2 or 3 no's to one person it is begging.

Westerners consider this behavior to be very rude. I understand that cultures see circumstances differently but the vendors of Acapulco seem to have forgotten their manners.