Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elvirarodriguez

Questions about Acapulco?

With all due respect I will not retract my comment as I feel it is based in fact and from personal experience.

The Acapulco port is deplorable. It is from my understanding the only privately held port in Mexico and it is also the worst operated from my personal experience. I have traveled the world and I put the Acapulco Port on my Top 10 list of places I want to get away from quickly.

I don´t want U to retract your comments, I would like you to change the Imagen you have of Acapulco and Acapulqueños, that´s the reason I´m inviting U to have lunch with me on your next visit, and with your and other people comments we can improve our services.

In Acapulco the 85 % of the worker population is dedicated to the the tourism industry, either directly or indirectly. Yes I work for the tourism that´s the reason I´m always interested in the visitors point of view, critics, good or bad are always critics and they are there for us to become better in whatever we do.

Thanks.

see U in Acapulco.:)

by the way: Happy Valentine´s

elvirarodriguez: do you work (or does someone in your family) work in the tourism industry in Acapulco, or for someone working at the cruise ship terminal? Thanks!

Elvira I appreciate your honesty in this matter. Do you also work for the Taxi Cab service at the port?

Many of your comments refer to how good they are.

it does not matter to us if you are from the port Elvira. And yes, people need to work. As for my comment about begging I would like to clarify kindly.

We love Mexico and her people. We love the food, we love the beaches, we love Mexico in general.

I think there is a common misunderstanding between the vendors and tourists. When we are on vacation we do not want to be pestered. No is a universal word and most countries understand the word perfectly. But in Acapulco especially it seems that the word is ignored.

When we say no and the people do not move on but continue to pester us we consider this begging. No is no and no matter how many times a person asks the same question the answer is still no. After the first 2 or 3 no's to one person it is begging.

Westerners consider this behavior to be very rude. I understand that cultures see circumstances differently but the vendors of Acapulco seem to have forgotten their manners.

:):):), I understand, believe me, when ever I go to the beach there are vendors trying to sell something, but please, do not feel insulted if they are insisting 2 or 3 times, the living in Mex is different than in USA, here, there´s not welfare or unemployment benefits that help you to feed your family under critic circumstances, here, even the kids have to go to the street to make a living, and with this, I am not justifying them. What I mean is: just understand their situation.

And I insist, let me invite you to go around Acapulco and have lunch with my family next time you come to the city.

I understand your feelings Elvira. My heart goes out to people in struggling nations. American's and people in general are very generous to many organizations such as:

1. Feed the children

2. The United Way

3. The American Red Cross

4. I could list hundreds including private charities and church groups.

The fact is it turns your port into an undesirable destination when every few feet you have some one in your face selling something. It is not the fault of the tourism industry that your nation has problems. In fact tourism accounts for a couple of Billion US dollars that flow into Mexico every year.

Why should we as travelers be tortured when we are already supporting programs designed to help your nation and are also contributing to your local economies by being tourists?

And you are right, going to the beach can be a real bummer when you have to say NO every couple of minutes.

Elvira I appreciate your honesty in this matter. Do you also work for the Taxi Cab service at the port?

Many of your comments refer to how good they are.

And thanks for your comments. But you did not answer the question above. So here it is again in case you missed it.

Hello everyone...We have a party of 11 (4 adults - 7 kids (7-16 yrs)). We would like to rent a van for 5-6 hours. We have a list of sights to visit. What is the reasonable cost to rent a van/driver to take us around Acapulco? Thank You.

Hello everyone...We have a party of 11 (4 adults - 7 kids (7-16 yrs)). We would like to rent a van for 5-6 hours. We have a list of sights to visit. What is the reasonable cost to rent a van/driver to take us around Acapulco? Thank You.

I don't think this is a good thread in which to post the question. But it's here. There are many recent discussions about tours, vans, drivers - including trip duration, cost and itineraries. I think you'll benefit most if you scroll down through the discussions to find the ones I'm making reference to.

I did not find what went on in Acapulco any different than Ixtapa/Z or Cabo. Everyone was offering their services when you came out. Tour operators, drivers, etc. All three were about the same, Acapulco no worse. Manzanillo was different. There were several tour operators, but there were not many and it was calmer. I don't know if you walked out past the guard booth if there was more going on or not. That is where the taxis were lined up. Most people getting off the ship when we were (7:30 AM and waited until about 8:15 becuase 2 people on our privately arranged tour never showed) were going on ship tours or had privately arranged tour guides waiting.

Jen in SoCal

You may want to consider a late dinner on the ship before the evening show. It worked perfectly for us. We had Anytime Dining so we could eat whenever or you could go to the Lido. The Folkloric show was excellent.

Jen in SoCal

Any recommendations for someplace to eat dinner in Acapulco? :)

As of my own experience, yes, there are VWs in Acapulco, they are the

city taxis and some drivers do speak english. Inside the cruise ship terminal they quote higher rates because they have the first contact with the customers just before they reach the street, but outside the gate there are air conditioned vans and taxis duly government authorized, english speaking guides and drivers that will be more than willing to offer you a "good deal", which at times can be of half the price of what you

would be paying inside. I have some e-mails of experienced guides and drivers if you need to pre-arrange something. Hope this clears this matter.

C U

My dear friends, for those passangers travelling to Acapulco and have concerns about it, feel free to post your questions and i`ll be answering them faster i can.

Ok, I have a question. Maybe silly but here goes: I am disembarking the ship in Acapulco with my daughter and we are using the shuttle provided by the cruise line to the airport. We will have to wait a short while at the airport for our flight. I was wondering what kind of eating establishments are at the airport? Thank you for your time.

Ok, I have a question. Maybe silly but here goes: I am disembarking the ship in Acapulco with my daughter and we are using the shuttle provided by the cruise line to the airport. We will have to wait a short while at the airport for our flight. I was wondering what kind of eating establishments are at the airport? Thank you for your time.

There is a restaurant in the pre-security area. There is also another restaurant/bar post security area. There are also some small shops that sell food at the main lobby. I am not sure how many are still open after Mexicana declared bankruptcy.

Ok, thank you for your reply. Now I know we won't go hungry by the time we get to Houston. :)

We are going to be in Acapulco in Nov 22nd. Is it dangerous to get out of the ship? What you would advice? Thanks

We are going to be in Acapulco... Is it dangerous to get out of the ship?.

Generally speaking... no, it is not dangerous. They cleaned up the vendor harassment at the pier exit on our visit last season (big improvement!). It is always hot and humid, with lots of traffic and folks. We suggest chartering a VW beetle taxi for $10/hr and seeing some of the great sights in Aca