Why stop in Bonaire

solehigh

I have dreamed of going to Bonaire for the last 20 years. I picked my 11 day Ruby Princess cruise because, I started with the simple question- "Who goes to Bonaire?" Bonaire is not easy to get to by air... not many flights. So I was happy to see a few cruise ships are now going there.

It is the best in the world for reefs that are 10 feet out in the water in 3 or 4 feet deep. 90% of diving in the Caribbean and Florida all require you to take a long boat ride to get to the reef, not much fun ( adds expense, lack of private dive without groups, time consuming, sea sick in small boats, takes a lot of time)

You never know who you will run into? It was the highlight of our Cruise.

RubyPrincess2010411small-1.jpg

RubyPrincess2010426small.jpg

RubyPrincess2010508sm.jpg

awesome pics. what kind of camera setup were you using? I will be diving there next year in march. This will be my only "new" port that we are hitting on this cruise.

Thanks! We got so many really unique and different photos from Bonaire.

I bought the new Canon powershot D10 just for this trip. I was so happy with the camera. It did a great job, and I gave it a really good workout. Only problem is that it can't go beyond 30 feet (I'd say 20 to be safe) so you can't use it if you want to try some kind of scuba. We did snorkle only..... and it also took great photos on dry land, even if we didn't see much dry land in any of the activities we tried LOL

Digitalwaterproof.jpg

Dominica

RubyPrincess2010151small.jpg

Grenada

RubyPrincess20101072small.jpg

Wow that sucks. Yeah I would need something to take deeper than 30 ft. Thats just when it starts getting fun. Well nonetheless it takes good snorkelling photos. I prefer diving over snorkelling though. I actually have a underwater diving camera, but I am not satisfied with the camera and with the pics at times. Guess I will have to keep looking. Thanks for the info though.

So you were actually able to see that stingray while snorkelling? Thats cool.

So you were actually able to see that stingray while snorkelling? Thats cool.

I know :eek: its really cool. 99% of what scuba divers see in deep water, can be seen in 10 feet of water with-in 10 feet of shore. That's what makes Bonaire so incredible!

I dove for 30 years, but my wife is not a diver, so I took her to Bonaire to show her everything I've seen in the rest of the Caribbean all in water she could stand up in. :D (photos look much better in person, I seem to lose a lot of resolution and picture quality posting them to cruise critic's lower resolution web site)

The one cool thing about snorkeling for me... is unlimited bottom time.

I swam with this ray for 15 minutes, and then spent another 15 minutes watching a sea turtle. No worries about only 45 minutes of bottom time on a tank of air.

RubyPrincess2010742.jpg

RubyPrincess2010744.jpg

RubyPrincess2010736.jpg

Those images are outstanding! I wish I liked snorkeling and scuba.

If you are not into snorkeling or scuba diving (for which Bonaire is known), enjoy some of the other terra-firma features. You could go to the salt flats or Wasshington Park. We went to Washington Park and it was fantastic.

Bonaire was our favorite port on our S. Caribbean cruise last year.

Those images are outstanding! I wish I liked snorkeling and scuba.

If you are not into snorkeling or scuba diving (for which Bonaire is known), enjoy some of the other terra-firma features. You could go to the salt flats or Wasshington Park. We went to Washington Park and it was fantastic.

Bonaire was our favorite port on our S. Caribbean cruise last year.

Your post reminded me... on the salt flats I think you can rent a sail car and race across the salt flat in a sailboat on wheels :cool: sounds like fun. Someone did this on our trip but I'm not sure if it was Bonaire or Aruba???

Thanks for the pictures and the post about Bonaire. You just did what the Tourism boards try so desperately to do...gain valuable attention and tourists...I never thought about this island until I saw your photos. If that is what I can expect to see, sign me up!! Great shots again coming from another passionate photographer!!

Thanks for the pictures and the post about Bonaire. You just did what the Tourism boards try so desperately to do...gain valuable attention and tourists...I never thought about this island until I saw your photos. If that is what I can expect to see, sign me up!! Great shots again coming from another passionate photographer!!

Those are great pictures. I just bought a new camera, but now I want the one you have.

Do any cruise lines aside from Princess go there?

Celebrity does...and another but I can't remember now? (I planned my trip such a long time ago)

Those are great pictures. I just bought a new camera, but now I want the one you have.

Do any cruise lines aside from Princess go there?

Royal Caribbean has a weekly itinerary from Nov to March approximately that leaves from Colon (Panama) and stops in Bonaire

Thanks! We got so many really unique and different photos from Bonaire.

I bought the new Canon powershot D10 just for this trip. I was so happy with the camera. It did a great job, and I gave it a really good workout. Only problem is that it can't go beyond 30 feet (I'd say 20 to be safe) so you can't use it if you want to try some kind of scuba. We did snorkle only..... and it also took great photos on dry land, even if we didn't see much dry land in any of the activities we tried LOL

Digitalwaterproof.jpg

Dominica

RubyPrincess2010151small.jpg

Grenada

RubyPrincess20101072small.jpg

Great pictures! None of our Titou Gorge pics came out because we were using a cheap disposable :( Canon should give you a commission because you just sold me one of their cameras :) Oh, and we loved Bonaire! But we had to buy our snorkeling pics from the tour vendor to get the good ones. Not any more!!

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed my shots. Sorry to hear your Titou Gorge photos didn't turn out :(

The Canon is great, its fun sharing success stories with people. Canon did a good job, and I'm happy to spread the word.

But here are a few notes from my trip about using cameras in the water-

- don't go below 20 feet or the pressure is risky (when I felt it pressing on my ears, I knew I was getting deep). My rule of thumb is if the Marketing guys claim 30 feet, I'll try to stick to 20 feet :D

- make sure its really dry, before you open doors to download photos, change battery... I was doing two snorkel trips on Bonaire and wanted to change my storage card and download photos from the camera at lunch between the trips. Take your time. There is water everywhere (cracks and seams) so you want to make sure the camera is really dry before you start opening accesses panels (doors).

Battery life is good. But for a 12 hour day with lots of photo ops I did buy an extra battery and a 8gb chip (two 4's would have been better) shoot half your vacation, then pop in the other chip for the other half, in-case you ever lose your camera.

They sell and Accessory kit, which is over priced. But I loved the strap that goes around your neck, you can't really swim like a fish if the camera is strapped to your wrist. Also It came with a neoprene protective case that was great for tubing, waterfall, rainforest type stuff. I wish you could by just those two items... instead of the entire kit.

One last tip. There is one button on top that is programable. I programed it so I could turn off/on the monitor to save battery life while I had the camera turned on but didn't want the bright monitor running the entire time.

Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Markstudy,

Awesome pictures; we purchased an underwater Olympus for our trip and hope the pictures turn out 1/2 as good. Is there any place within walking distance from the port? We have a little one and do not want to commit to a 4-5 hour block of time "Just in case" :):)

Hey Markstudy,

Awesome pictures; we purchased an underwater Olympus for our trip and

hope the pictures turn out 1/2 as good. Is there any place within walking

distance from the port? We have a little one and do not want to commit to a

4-5 hour block of time "Just in case" :):)

I really think the ship's water taxi was very easy. It drops you at a beach, with

great snorkeling. Only problem was that the sand can blow in the wind, so

best to set up against some of the bushes on the beach for wind

protection....in case it picks-up as the day goes on.

I understand not wanting to be "stuck" there with a small child, but with the

water taxis coming-and-going, I wonder if you could hitch a ride back early if

you didn't want to stay the entire time? (4 hours went by so fast!)

The other option... was a short walk off the ship to the Divi Divi resort (I think

I spelled it right?). Lots and lots of interesting fish, 5 minute walk from the

ship, and full facilities (including restaurant for lunch see photo, building with

blue roof and 5 orange building behind it) but I think its more of a sandy bottom

so you don't get all the coral. (you can buy a day pass to use the resort, not

much of a beach after the 2006-7 storms). I've always heard they had a

great deal of interesting fish at this site.

I've heard that there is another place just past the Divi Divi that has more coral and fish

(instead of just lots of fish like at the Divi Divi)... I think its called the "Plaza"

(go to Bonaire Talk dot Com look in the snorkeling section) and you can

read all about it.

I did the water taxi in the morning with the ships tour. And then I booked

a private guide with Renee' for the afternoon.

DiviDivi.jpg

We'll be in Bonaire on March 5th and have an snorkeling excursion scheduled for the morning. I've been watching the forecast for Bonaire, and noticed the winds were steady each day, East 15-20mph. Is this just the normal weather for this time of year there? Looking forward to experiencing Bonaire.

• 3 weeks later...

We bought this camera before our last caribbean cruise. We got great underwater pics. It's a great camera!

I started reading Bonaire Talk (website

http://www.bonairetalk.com/newsgroup/messages/22932/22932.html)

It's like CC only all about Bonaire. I couldn't stop reading! I am so excited about going there!

Markstudy I saw your pics of river tubing. What island was that on? We did that in Dominica and it was a blast. I saw a river tubing shore excursion on our upcoming cruise. Can't remember now which island. I was wondering if it was white water, like it was on Dominica. Everything you said about Bonaire is exactly what I read on this site. I know we'll love this island.

It's like CC only all about Bonaire. I couldn't stop reading!

Markstudy I saw your pics of river tubing. What island was that on? We did that in Dominica and it was a blast.

I love your enthusiasm for BonaireTalk.... you remind me of me :D

My ship went to Dominica and Grenada, I had heard that the tubing was better on Dominica... but I want to do the rainforest canyoning trip on Dominica... so I ended up doing the tubing on Grenada which is not as good, but we only had a short day at that island and it worked best for my scheduling and priorities. (nice river...just not enough water, and a little too short). We still had fun, but it wasn't what I would call white water rafting, more like a really good water park ride at Disney

Yes, it was Grenada I saw the river tubing shore excursion & wondered if it was like Dominca. If you get back to Dominca I would highly recommend the river tubing and Emerald Pool ercursion with Antours. It was white water tubing! They said we were on the river for an hour, but it seemed longer to me.

I also wanted to ask you about the neoprene protective case for the D10. We didn't see that when we bought our camera. Can you use it in the water? Where did you get it?

Thanks for all the info on Bonaire. ;)

Archived