Windjammer Legacy as of Jan 2010

I get post cards from Arabella all the time, looks beautiful. Fiddi Angermeyer is not sailing the Mandalay any time soon, he is concentrating on the MaryAnne but he reduced the rates recently, business must be slow. The Poly is safe and back home in Portugal, she has been restored and is well cared for. The only one still in danger is the Yankee Clipper in Trinadad.

Nancy

Thank you for this update about the Poly. We were on the Poly many, many years ago for our honeymoon. It was an incredible adventure.

Gail

Alas, Legacy is now gone. Photos posted on the jammerbabe.com/flotilla website show her as she was stripped down and a final photo of her as a floating hulk in the water, everything from deck up gone and everything stripped off her exterior. Gut wrenching.

http://www.jammerbabe.com/flotilla/viewforum.php?f=112

and go to

"Latest pictures of LEGACY July 2010"

You may have to be signed in as a member of jammerbabe.com to view them tho. Suffice it to say, they are very sad photos to see.

If not familiar with the site: it was set up by and for those who love the Windjammer ships....and tall-ship cruising.

• 3 weeks later...
Are there any new updates or photos of her since she was cleaned up and put back into action?

Thank you

I think you could try to google "The Schooner Argus" Poly's original name, I remember seeing some photos after reaching Portugal she was really looking rusty, but they have done a lot of work to restore it.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm a little late here, like a year later. I was married onboard the SV Legacy May 2004. I wondered whatever happened to her and goggled to find this. I'm so sad to see her in this condition. She was in pristine shape back then and it was the most wonderful time of my life. I'm so glad I have my pictures to remember it by. This breaks my heart.

Julie, Our favorite WJ ship is the Mandalay also and were fortunate to sail 3-13 day cruises between Antigua and Grenada plus the Panama trip in July 2007 when she had her bowsprit broken off. We hope to sail her again in the Galapagos Islands. Earlier this year they had availabilty posted on Angermeyer's website for June, July and August but now they show no availibility at all.

We also sailed the Polynesia, Flying Cloud and the Fantome and partied aboard the Yankee Clipper. All of these beautiful historic ships will have a place in our hearts forever.

Nancy

My first "jammer" was on the Fantome out of Nassau back in the mid-80's...it made me a fan forever. I recall the Captain, dressed in full pirate's regalia, standing way out on the bowsprit, sabre held high in the air as the ship slowly pulled away from mooring and a Bagpiper playing Amazing Grace ashore. Great theater...but that was the one and only notorious Captain Paddy Shrimpton who held late night drinking games under the stars.....

Loved the Poly...I think she might have been my favorite. My first cruise on this lovely introduced me to the "boat races" somewhere off Neva....

The Yankee Clipper, I think, was the most lovely when under full sail. What a picture she was.

Purefreedom, I have attached a photo of the former Windjammer Polynesia/Argus in Portugal.

Nancy

Glad to hear about the Polynesia and see the picture. I saw her in Aruba 3 years ago looking like the Legacy does now - or close to it.

Thanks to an earlier poster, too, about Windjammer Sailing Fans on FaceBook.

DH and I only made two Windjammer sails - Flying Cloud and then the Fantome in February 1998 during total solar eclipse. I cried for the crew and for that beautiful ship when the she went down in Hurricane Mitch. We would have done more Windjammer cruises, but DH's had health issues with him eventually being in wheelchair so switched to traditional ships.

• 1 year later...

The Mandalay is sailing again!!!

http://www.sailwindjammer.com

I was on a Windstar cruise last week and had heard in Bequia that the Mandalay was sailing; when I saw her cruise into the harbor in the Tortuga Cays the next day, it was the happiest moment of my cruise!!

Spoke with some passengars and crew on the beach and the former first mate, now Captain Sylvester Dzomeku purchased the Mandalay and started up cruises last August.

Happy!

The alternative IS available. I just re-read this string and there are some positive things to report!

Since the demise of Windjammer Barefoot Cruises (WBC), two windjammer sailing companies are now operating: Island Windjammers since 2009, Windjammer Sailing Adventures since last year. Both are operated by companies made up of some longtime Windjammer Barefoot Cruises fans and crews.

Both company's ships are crewed by former WBC crews and some WBC captains, including Capt. Matt, who has been a skipper of IWJ's Daimant, a 12-passenger tall ship. I sailed her twice (with Matt!!) and she is beautiful! And great fun! IWJ recently purchased the tall-ship Sagitta from Angemeyer Cruises and started sailing her last December. She is a 24-passenger ship, and I gonna be onboard this May! Matt is going to be one of Sagitta's captains now. islandwindjammers.com

Windjammmer Sailing Adventures has THE Mandalay!!!! The actual Windjammer Barefoot Cruises Mandalay! Angemeyer Cruises saved Mandy and refurbished her, but then decided to sell her. WSA to the rescue. I haven't sailed her yet, but reports are good! sailwindjammer.com

So life is good for those who would like to recapture some of the spirit of the old Windjammer Barefoot Cruises. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

We cruised on the BEAUTIFUL, refurbished Legacy in April/May 2013. We've already booked another sailing for next year! The ship was bought by Windjammer Sailing Adventures with some of the same crew and captain. The Miami office is manned by some of the same too. This was our 7th sailing with Windjammer (old & new) and it is our favorite type of adventure. True, it may not be for everyone but with a formal night of clean feet and a clean T-shirt, it's for us. http://www.sailwindjammer.com

Clarification: Legacy was scrapped and destroyed, with all the photos on this board somewhere. Windjammer Sailing Adventures has the Mandalay, also a former Windjammer Barefoot Cruises ship, just like Legacy was. But Mandy fared far better........

• 5 years later...

Sad to know that Legacy was scrapped... i was in love with that sailship... I was 2nd engineer on board Legacy in 1998. Nice accomodation, nice engine room. That vessel could be recovered for sure. Paxman, doorman, electrical propulsion... Always present in my memories!

• 4 months later...

Talk about late to the party.  My gf and I sailed on SV Legacy in May 2005 for our decades birthday party.  Had a great time.  The ship, crew. and fellow passengers were all great.  I think our Captain was Capt Matt.  Thanks for providing the info.   A pox on those who caused WBC's downfall. 

• 3 months later...

We loved our barefoot cruises on Flying Cloud, Yankee Clipper and Legacy.  We first saw a WJ ship in Antigua and chatted with a nice guy on Amazing Grace.  He invited us onboard to check out the ship and showed us how he was updating the Captains cabin.  Such a nice guy.....took us a little while to figure out he was the owner of those ships😎

After that, we researched and booked our first WJ cruise.    It was fun to do back-to-backs and 'Stowaway' during the week-end hanging out with the crew.  So sad the way his kids ruined the company.