iPhone GPS on the ocean...

scottym89

Ok, I'm not sure if anyone has even thought about doing this before, but I'm curious as to weather anyone has used an iPhone for shipboard GPS. Google Maps (comes with iPhone) obviously won't work as it downloads maps off the net as it goes, but I have a couple of other apps that simply show GPS co-ordinates without the download of maps. Has anyone tried this before, or have any suggestions for apps that they have used??

Be interesting to see!

Thanks

Scotty

I think my friends have used their garmin. You can write a note to the bridge and request the gps coordinates each day. I think they will give them to you at the end. My friends have done that before. Holland America actually give every passenger a cruise log which has the coordinates for each port and at midday each seaday.

Ok, I'm not sure if anyone has even thought about doing this before, but I'm curious as to weather anyone has used an iPhone for shipboard GPS. Google Maps (comes with iPhone) obviously won't work as it downloads maps off the net as it goes, but I have a couple of other apps that simply show GPS co-ordinates without the download of maps. Has anyone tried this before, or have any suggestions for apps that they have used??

Be interesting to see!

Thanks

Scotty

my daughter had her iphone with her on our last cruise...she was able to connect to the wireless with it on board and she said sent a couple of messages off the ship... I went Oh no i think that is really really expensive... but her bill only showed .55c i was expecting $$

princess give you a log of the cruise at the end of the voyage...

joanne

It should work, but may take longer to lock on and work out where it is - it could be a few minutes. I'd suggest going somewhere high with a view of as much of the sky as possible.

Also note that the GPS will use data to try and speed things up - so if you're near a port or on a ship with phone coverage, remember to turn off 3G data roaming. :)

Apparently there are mapping apps in the AppStore that store the maps in your phone if you're really keen.

chrisb74 - why will it take longer to lock on? Because it doesn't have access to using data trigulation?

Modern phone based GPS is really AGPS - Assisted. It uses data from phone towers, wifi and other stuff to take a good guess at where it is and then use that to speed up the GPS process. Without it, it has to sit there and listen to GPS satellites and download data from them before doing the maths.

Hi Scotty

I took my nokia phone, which has GPS on it, on our last cruise and it worked fine. On "maps" it looks weird with no roads and your a dot on a blue sceen (ie big ocean).

As chrisb74 said I found it did take a few minutes to lock on without the 'assistance'.

Archived