Toulon Shore Excursion help

mjtripper

We are just starting to look at shore excursions. We will be on the Brilliance in Oct. One of our stops is Toulon. We are thinking of taking a ship tour here. Our plan was to just take an easy half day tour just walking around a small town and looking at some shops and getting a feel for the region.

The next three port days we have scheduled full tours in Florence, Rome and Naples.

Of the following ship tours which would you take and any suggestions would be helpful in our decision. I am trying to decide if we should take the half day options or the full day options.

Cassis

Marseille

Sanary and Bandol

St. Tropez - full day

Aix and Cezanne - full day

We too were on the Brilliance and stopped in Toulon in Nov. 07.

We did the 1/2 day tour to Aix-en-Provence. We enjoyed it alot. Nice drive throught the Provence countryside. Enjoyed the historic area of Aix and mainly just wandered. The tour did have a short guided part in the beginning but dh and I wandered off before it was over...... we knew the meeting time and place to be back at to take the bus back to the ship so knew it was ok....... we just wandered the tiny streets and soaking up the "French-ness" :D Found a wonderful old small church that was empty except for the organist who was practicing for church the next day...... then a perfectly charming antique book store (of course it was all in French) then on to a gourmet store where I picked up a cookbook for dd, then next to a pastry shop mainly to take pictures - their food is art !!!! Then to a sidewalk cafe for coffee and crepes and all along the main boulevard was a wonderful market..... all kinds of stuff. Then to the candy shop for some French marzipan and some other candy and back on the bus. Plenty of time there for us. There was another tour exactly the same but all day...... but this was our last port before disembarking in Barcelona (sounds like we were going the other way than you are) and I wanted to the afternoon to pack etc..... Worked out great for us.

Hope this helps. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone any idea what type of weather to expect laste November in Toulon - have to change cruise due to other committments so we are looking at one late in November - just a bit concerned about the weather - thanks

See my post on the other thread where you asked the same question.

• 7 months later...

I am reviving this thread because I have the same question....I leave next month and have the same choices in Toulon on the Splendour. I've never been to Europe and will be traveling with my husband and an 11 year old who loves history and traveling and is not your typical pre-teen who gets bored.

Apparently I have to choose between Marseille and Aix as I can't do both, or should I see Cassis? I live in Florida so beaches are no great issue. Please help?!

We choose to just stay in Toulon. There is a market on one street lined with bakeries and a few cafes and the harbor front has a marina which stretches out about 1/2 mile and is lined with restaurants. A pleasant place to walk around but not quite as pretty as ports like Villefranche. There is also a beach nearby with a shuttle and also a cable car nearby that goes up to the top of the mountain overlooking the city for a view - we didn't do that but a very nice woman at the info booth by the ship's dock gave us information on about that and other tourist areas near the port.

There are two dock areas at Toulon - most of the ship's dock right near the downtown area of interest to tourists. The place we docked was aways away but the ship provided complimentary shuttles to the other dock area and the info booth also told us there was a ferry that cost 2 euros that was about a 10-15 min walk from the dock. The bus ride took about 20 mins.

When we docked at Marseille on a TA a year ago we went to Axe and really enjoyed walking around there. Aix is much prettier and touristy in terms of the buildings, shops and restaurants - definitely a nice place to spend the day than Toulon but it is a good distance from Toulon.

We've never spent the day in Marseille so can't comment on that. We have an acquaintance from France who told us that if we're going to Toulon we should go to Cassis which is very nice and no too far but we haven't been there either.

Main reason we stayed in Toulon is that it was the last stop on our cruise after a couple very busy days and we wanted to sleep in a bit and also have time in the afternoon for packing. If we stopped there again we might stay in Toulon only if it fit in the itinerary the same way, otherwise we'd at least take a taxi to Cassis. I think Aix is far enough that one would have to have a pre-arraigned trip.

Has anyone any idea what type of weather to expect laste November in Toulon - have to change cruise due to other committments so we are looking at one late in November - just a bit concerned about the weather - thanks

We sailed from Rome the day after Thanksgiving - but Toulon was much later in the cruise - December 1st actually. It was wonderful weather. Cooler but clear and sunny. We wore slacks, long sleeve t's and I had my pea coat but mostly carried it during the day. The nights were much cooler but since mostly on the ship - was not a concern. In Rome and Barcelona both pre and post cruise at night I wore my coat :D We loved this time of year to spend in Europe. Fall colors of gold, red, orange, alot less crowds, less lines and great shopping as at the very very end of season so lots of sales and bargaining ! Also - if later in Nov. you will find Christmas markets everywhere :) Loved the Christmas markets !

I am reviving this thread because I have the same question....I leave next month and have the same choices in Toulon on the Splendour. I've never been to Europe and will be traveling with my husband and an 11 year old who loves history and traveling and is not your typical pre-teen who gets bored.

Apparently I have to choose between Marseille and Aix as I can't do both, or should I see Cassis? I live in Florida so beaches are no great issue. Please help?!

Not sure what "advice' you seek....... we can provide our experiences but really your best bet is to research what there is to do in each place and pick the one that seems like the best "fit" FOR YOU. We chose Aix as we wanted a relaxed day, wanted to see some of Provence (1+ hr bus ride was nice !) and really only wanted a little more than half our day to be filled. Good luck and whatever you do - it will be an adventure and filled with lots of neat stuff for memories ;)

• 2 weeks later...

hello

i'm be sailing on the Brilliance of the Seas out of Barcelona on 11 nov calling at Toulon the following day.

I've read the post and I'm now confused.

For those of you who have sailed on the BOTS, where excactly does the ship call?

In Toulon city or in La Seyne?

Thanks for your help and tips

Jacques O

Well, perhaps we can help with this subject. Regarding ports you might want to consider that many ships call at Marseille and most of the passengers quickly leave Marseille for places such as Aix (wonderful place) or other parts of Provence such as St Remy, Les Baux, Avignon, etc. Going to St Tropex for a full day is a waste during the summer season and worthless during the winter. This is a tired sea resort that time has passed by just as time had its impact on their most famous resident, Bridget Bardot. Cassis is Ok, but we would opt for Aix. But the key is the weather and so much of this depends on the famous (or infamous) Mistral winds. This time of year or totally off-season for this region (there used to be very few cruises after late October) so going inland to Provencial places like Aix seem like a good idea.

Hank

hello

i'm be sailing on the Brilliance of the Seas out of Barcelona on 11 nov calling at Toulon the following day.

For those of you who have sailed on the BOTS, where excactly does the ship call?

Jacques O

We sailed last Sept on the Celebrity Century - Celebrity is affiliated with RCL. I got the impression that most ships dock at the port right at the heart of the Toulon city center but we docked at La Seyne across the harbor. There was a complimentary shuttle to the city. Only thing that disappointed me is the shuttle passed right by the heart of the city and continued about 1/4 mile to the dock at the city where the other cruise ships in town were docked. When you get off there is a tourist train/shuttle that runs a few Euros that goes back to the city, but we just did the 5 or 10 minute walk back. Before we'd boarded the free shuttle we talked to a lady in an information booth who pointed out that the passenger ferry (water taxi) service from La Seyne to Toulon was only 2 euros and a nicer way to go. We took that back instead of the free shuttle as the dock was right by a waterfront cafe where we had lunch. It was very nice but about a 10 or 15 min walk back to the ship at La Seyne.

So my guess is that they would normally dock at the pier by the Toulon city center but if those docks are taken they may go to the pier at La Seyne.

Here is a Google map that shows to four points of interest I've discussed above:http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=118087768660854595385.0004941b6c193a57163ad&t=h&z=14

(At least it should show these 4 points)

hello

Jacques O

We sailed on the BOS on October 6. I emailed RCCL prior to our cruise requesting which port, and received various answers. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1222537&page=2 see Post #28.

Well we docked in La Seyne Sur Mer (Marepolis). Marepolis is one of three terminals in the Port of Toulon. So if you ask RCCL where your docking, they will say the Port of Toulon, not really specifying which terminal. RCCL offers a shuttle to Toulon for $15 pp.

By the way, weather was beautiful http://www.imbertetphelippeau.com/port/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We used SSK Dreamliner in Toulon to go to Aix and Marseille. I was pretty happy with them because you can let them know what you want to see and they'll figure out the best routes to take. Or if you want to let them handle everything, they can do that too. You can read the full review, including all the places we went, on my blog:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/category/cruises/europe-2009/

• 2 weeks later...

You said that the woman at the information booth near the port gave you info about the Toulon cable car. Were transit tickets, specifically the 1-day bus-boat-cable car, available at the information booth?

We choose to just stay in Toulon. There is a market on one street lined with bakeries and a few cafes and the harbor front has a marina which stretches out about 1/2 mile and is lined with restaurants. A pleasant place to walk around but not quite as pretty as ports like Villefranche. There is also a beach nearby with a shuttle and also a cable car nearby that goes up to the top of the mountain overlooking the city for a view - we didn't do that but a very nice woman at the info booth by the ship's dock gave us information on about that and other tourist areas near the port.

There are two dock areas at Toulon - most of the ship's dock right near the downtown area of interest to tourists. The place we docked was aways away but the ship provided complimentary shuttles to the other dock area and the info booth also told us there was a ferry that cost 2 euros that was about a 10-15 min walk from the dock. The bus ride took about 20 mins.

When we docked at Marseille on a TA a year ago we went to Axe and really enjoyed walking around there. Aix is much prettier and touristy in terms of the buildings, shops and restaurants - definitely a nice place to spend the day than Toulon but it is a good distance from Toulon.

We've never spent the day in Marseille so can't comment on that. We have an acquaintance from France who told us that if we're going to Toulon we should go to Cassis which is very nice and no too far but we haven't been there either.

Main reason we stayed in Toulon is that it was the last stop on our cruise after a couple very busy days and we wanted to sleep in a bit and also have time in the afternoon for packing. If we stopped there again we might stay in Toulon only if it fit in the itinerary the same way, otherwise we'd at least take a taxi to Cassis. I think Aix is far enough that one would have to have a pre-arraigned trip.

We are just starting to look at shore excursions. We will be on the Brilliance in Oct. One of our stops is Toulon. We are thinking of taking a ship tour here. Our plan was to just take an easy half day tour just walking around a small town and looking at some shops and getting a feel for the region.

The next three port days we have scheduled full tours in Florence, Rome and Naples.

Of the following ship tours which would you take and any suggestions would be helpful in our decision. I am trying to decide if we should take the half day options or the full day options.

Cassis

Marseille

Sanary and Bandol

St. Tropez - full day

Aix and Cezanne - full day

Having been to this port on several occasions, I would choose Aix if I only had the choices above. But...if you like private excursions (get on your roll call and get a group of 8 to get the best price) might I suggest

http://www.marseille-private-tours.com/prov-4.htm

We have done this trip to the walled villages of Luberon on several occasions and it is magnificient. Just google "images Gordes" or "images Roussillon". Aix is lovely and the other cities are just beach resorts (IMO), but the walled villages are breathtaking in every way. We passed similar ones as we drove to Aix on our first visit and I really wanted to see them then. We used the guide above and they were wonderful, but I am sure there are others who do the same thing. The price is lots less than the cruise line, a group of 8 allows you to do what you want, when you want, and you get a much better experience. On the tour mentioned above, I would probably eliminate Lourmarin and spend more time in Gordes. I know you didn't ask this, but I just wanted to let you know that this is a great chance to do something different from Toulon. Don't worry about getting back to the ship, the guides here are great.

Amy

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from a trans-Atlantic on the Adventure of the Seas.

We joined a private tour in Toulon by Revelation tours. Having had a good experience with them in Nice last spring, we had no qualms to join the tour.

However, we were very disappointed with this tour. Basically, it was transportation. We were met at port and taken to the town of Aix, let off the bus and told to be back in 2 hours. No commentary on the way, no guide in the town. Next taken to a scenic view point, again no commentary on what we were seeing. Taken to a very nice (and reasonably priced) restaurant in a little village for lunch. Given a little time to wander around after wards but no guide, no history. Following that, driven back to the ship. We had to ask several times when going through villages where were we. For this we paid 175 euros plus tip.

We covered a great distance in miles but we have no idea what history, scenes, etc. we saw.

In no way do I fault the organizer of this tour. I am grateful she took the initiative to get it together. I would have done the same thing if I had set it up.

Tucker in Texas

We joined a private tour in Toulon by Revelation tours. Having had a good experience with them in Nice last spring, we had no qualms to join the tour.

However, we were very disappointed with this tour. Basically, it was transportation. We were met at port and taken to the town of Aix, let off the bus and told to be back in 2 hours. No commentary on the way, no guide in the town. Next taken to a scenic view point, again no commentary on what we were seeing. Taken to a very nice (and reasonably priced) restaurant in a little village for lunch. Given a little time to wander around after wards but no guide, no history. Following that, driven back to the ship. We had to ask several times when going through villages where were we. For this we paid 175 euros plus tip.

We covered a great distance in miles but we have no idea what history, scenes, etc. we saw.

In no way do I fault the organizer of this tour. I am grateful she took the initiative to get it together. I would have done the same thing if I had set it up.

Tucker in Texas

This is a perfect example - you need to know if you are getting a "driver" or a "guide" when hiring a company in Europe. They are two very different things. There have been tons of threads/discussions on this over the years here on CC....... even on a ship tour on a big bus with 40 people you get some commentary of where, what etc....... sorry this one didnt turn out to be what you were expecting.

This is a perfect example - you need to know if you are getting a "driver" or a "guide" when hiring a company in Europe. They are two very different things. There have been tons of threads/discussions on this over the years here on CC....... even on a ship tour on a big bus with 40 people you get some commentary of where, what etc....... sorry this one didnt turn out to be what you were expecting.

You are correct and I will read the description more closely and ask more questions the next time. I joined up because we were so pleased with our tour Revelation did in Nice and figured it would be the same.

In Nice, our driver gave us commentary while driving about the history and once at a location told us what to go see and information about it. In most places, you have to hire a licensed professional guide to actually walk with you and that can run up the cost considerably so we do not expect our drivers to be a tour guide too unless specifically hired to do so. We do expect a little more than taxi service (lol).

The web-site for Toulon said that we would have an "experienced driver/guide." Experienced driver, yes. Guide, no. In fact, his English was a little lacking but that is expected in Europe.

I mainly posted this to give a heads up to others that might be considering Revelation Tours in Toulon so that they can ask more specific questions and avoid the disappointment we had.

On the good side, we have a reason to return to Provence. We have a running joke that we should always "leave something" to give us an excuse to come back.

Another person arranged a tour in Mallorca which was wonderful. It was half the price, day long, and we had a guide that walked with us. When we expressed an interest to go to a winery, she arranged it on the spot. Not only that, the winery tour was priced at $10 pp but she got it free for us. Of course, the winery did a brisk business with our group (lol).

Tucker in Texas

• 1 month later...

Tucker in Texas

Can you suggest any other tour company to take you to Aix???

Archived