RCI Cruisers, will we be "bored" on Celebrity

akcruz

We have previously sailed mainly on Royal Carribean as we have kids (now older teens) and wanted all the activities they provide. DH and I are looking at booking a trip on Summit (without the kids) but are wondering if we will bored on the ship? We are late 40's and not partiers but like to have a drink, talk with fellow cruisers, listen to music, etc AFTER dinner. I've heard the ships can get quiet and there is not a lot going on at that time. Not worried about the rock wall, flowrider type of stuff as we do enjoy sitting by the pool with a book (and maybe a fruity cocktail) during the day. Its more the evenings we are concerned about.

We are looking at the repositioning cruise in late October out of NY to San Juan if that would make any difference. We have been happy with RCI but are looking for a change of pace and maybe something a little nicer since it is just the 2 of us. Thoughts?

I would suggest you try it.

Although there may be a few more sea days than you like.

Also first day is lost by the pool - a bit cooler up North.

Food should be better and the ship quiets down when you want it too. There are places open with entertainment late into the night.

There may not be as much entertainment or games about the pool area but they will shift indoors. This may be the trip to try a wine tasting or blending class if offered.

We too, are big RCI cruisers (see sig. below), and took our first Celebrity cruise on Infinity last Nov. We love the night-life after dinner, and have been disappointed in our last couple of RCI cruises because they seem to be doing away with the "Live Bands" for dancing the night away.

On the Infinity, we caught ourselves saying many times, "This is as good as RCI used to be!" They had MORE and BETTER live bands and venues for dancing each night.

Plus-- the food was better quality (as good as RCI used to be), the ship was better maintained, the service was as good (we've never had a complaint about that), and the Diamond/Elite perks are actually being ADDED with Celebrity instead of going away, like RCI.

Hope This Helps.

I've done about 6 RCI cruises and have found X to be superior in food, service and night life. You will soon find out which lounge is open late. I'm sure you'll find people to talk to and music for dancing.

You may never go back to RCI. That's my bet!:D

We've cruised both (and Carnvial, Princess and Cruise West), and have found Celebrity to be superior. You are right, Celebrity doesn't have all the daytime activities RCL has, but I agree it is superior in evening adult venues. Better service, better dining experiences (MDR, Buffet and Specialty), but remember dining opinions are very subjective. I just found Celebrity to have more adult options and variety.

I'd describe it as such: I don't need the ship to 'entertain me' or find activities for me, we make our own. I'm not big on the big group things, but do like some such as Trivia and so on, but we make our own fun. An example is, Celebrity has one announcement each day at Noon. The Capt followed by a quick announcements of major events and that's it.

I've kind of put this in a negative (I'm an adult and don't need all 'that stuff'), realizing many people enjoy the group activities and on RCL you don't have to take part in them if you aren't interested, but I think Celebrity has an overall focus on low-key elegence and stmosphere.

Denny

Archived