Rear Facing Cabins- Pros? Cons?

SailinC2C

We love the look of the cabins that face off the back of the ship. However, when we are running on the Promenade Deck, we can't help but notice how noisy it is at the back from the engines stirring up the water. Do you hear this in the rear cabins?

Yes. You do hear the sound of the wake. This is one reason we love aft cabins. Another reason is the privacy. With an aft cabin you have virtually no one walking back and forth in the hallway outside your cabin. You also have a fabulous view, especially if you're in an aft cabin on either side of the ship - 180 degrees.

We had our first aft cabin experience this past Fall and we found the sound of the wake to be quite loud when we were on our balcony. We felt we had to speak in a louder than normal voice while on the balcony or we couldn't hear each other. Inside the cabin the noise was not a problem. We might do an aft cabin again, but I guess we are among the minority in that we did not feel it was all it was cracked up to be.

These are the much touted aft-balconies. I've stayed in many of them, and keep coming back for more! ;)

You're away from the stacks, so you're not hearing much if any engine noise. You will likely hear more "wave noise". You may feel more vibration from time to time back here. Some people seemed more bothered by the vibration than others.

On some ships, notably the Tahitian Princess and I believe also other "R Class" ships, soot deposits on the aft balconies have been an issue. I know that on one of our Tahitian Princess cruises, it was absolutely necessary to put down towels before having a seat on our balcony.

On many ships, there are ventilation "stacks", in the middle of this row of cabins on the stern. This can be identified on the deck plan as an "empty" area between cabins.

Additionally, some aft balconies have known obstructions such as a vertical beam, right in the middle of them. If you do a search on "aft balconies" you should find threads relating to this, and particular "problem cabins" are identified for various ships.

I'm sorry if the above sounds negative ... it's really not meant to! As I've previously said, we keep coming back to the aft cabins, so obviously we feel comfortable there! Give it a try, and let us know what you think! :)

We stayed in aft cabin B749 on the Crown Princess and loved it, we did not have to much trouble with noise. The balcony was great because it was little bigger then the ones on the port and starboard sides of the ship and very private, it was a great place to enjoy a book or just relax and enjoy the view. another great feature was the entrance to the cabin was down a short hallway off the main hallway so you have your own private entrance. We liked this cabin so much that we want it again on our next cruise.

We won't book anything other than an aft cabin and have cancelled a few cruises after initially being given options on either side of the ship whilst being waitlisted for an aft cabin.

We just love the sound of the wake, the privacy and the fact that there's virtually nil foot traffic back there.

We love the look of the cabins that face off the back of the ship. However, when we are running on the Promenade Deck, we can't help but notice how noisy it is at the back from the engines stirring up the water. Do you hear this in the rear cabins?

For me, there are no cons to aft cabins. That "noise" is a sound that I adore. Most aft cabins also have larger balconies which is another plus. Nothing beats the view from these cabins.

Personally, I don't like aft cabins on Princess ships. In my experience, it can be very noisy back there. We had a bon voyage party on the balcony of an aft suite once and people had to talk pretty loudly to hear each other over the wake. Also, there are more ship noises back there compared to mid-ship cabins - creaking, snapping, moaning. The added movement was also a problem.

I have had aft cabins on many different ships with many different cruise lines. I know others will not agree with my opinion and I know a lot of people are afraid to post their opinions that are similar to mine, but I do think it is best to know the good and the bad so you can make a choice that suits you the best.

Have had 4 aft cabins, One was a suite and the other times balcony mini, and balcony.

3 were the most outside section , and one was near the middle. Love the privacy and the view. When we were in the suite, the beams were not a problem. Be sure to look at the room placement. if you can get the most outside ones the beams usualy don't come it to play. Did not find the noise to be a problem and we use our balcony alot during the cruise. We are also early risers and usually in bed by 10- 11 PM .

We had our first aft cabin experience this past Fall and we found the sound of the wake to be quite loud when we were on our balcony. We felt we had to speak in a louder than normal voice while on the balcony or we couldn't hear each other. Inside the cabin the noise was not a problem. We might do an aft cabin again, but I guess we are among the minority in that we did not feel it was all it was cracked up to be.

We also had our first aft cabin this past fall and feel the same way. The balcony was very loud and sounds echoed. The LONG walks to the rear of the ship were also difficult for me. In addition we felt like we were missing part of the view, not being able to look forward. So no more aft cabins for us...and I am really suprised we didn't like it as well as we thought we would.

Sorry, that was me getting up for the day -- old bones and Princess mattresses aren't the best combination. I'll try to keep it down next time. :D

Caro

LOL :D

That's something that bugged me too - on other ships we've had a huge wrap-around balcony where we could see the side of the ship. Not with Princess. You only look backwards and that's it. It bugged me always seeing where we had been and not where we were going.

OP, give it a try. You may like it. Until you try it, it's hard to figure out whether you'll like it or not. ;)

If you haven't tried one, give it a shot! :) You either LOVE the aft, or you don't... :p

The DW and I will NOT book anything 'but' aft... Our only 'side' cabins have been a Suite on the CCL Triumph, and a Hump/center BL on RCI Explorer of the Seas.. We aren't 'looking back', except when we are on a cruise ship.. :D ;) LOVE IT!!!

We stayed in aft cabin B749 on the Crown Princess and loved it, we did not have to much trouble with noise. The balcony was great because it was little bigger then the ones on the port and starboard sides of the ship and very private, it was a great place to enjoy a book or just relax and enjoy the view. another great feature was the entrance to the cabin was down a short hallway off the main hallway so you have your own private entrance. We liked this cabin so much that we want it again on our next cruise.

Hi, we are going on CB May 9th we're in cabin B749. I'm very excited since this will be our first aft cabin. Looking forward to it :)

If you have any pic of the cabin/balcony would love to see it....

We had an aft balcony reserved for a New England cruise, but unfortunately had to cancel, so we cannot speak from experience, but we have spent lots of time on the open back decks just standing there to see how we thought we might like an aft cabin. We have decided that the constant noise of the wake would bother us during the day. I spend A LOT of time on my balcony and still think I would much prefer the Caribe Deck balconies we always book. We love the quiet sound of the waves, and the silence when seas are calm. Having said that, the views are magnificent from the back of the ship however!

I was upgraded to a premium aft suite on the Star Princess on one occasion. It was the only time I have sailed facing directly aft.

I have to agree with the posters who did not like the aft cabins. The wake is far too noisy and you cannot talk in normal conversational tones while on your balcony. If you stand facing aft on promenade deck you will understand the loud noise of the wake. It is like Niagara Falls. While I was inside the cabin with the balcony slider closed the noise did not bother me. I much prefer the quiet of port or starboard side balconies on Caribe deck.

I am not so sure the aft balconies are as popular as some claim. Whenever I have been offered a suite upgrade at the last minute it has always been an aft suite. I have never been offered a midship or a forward suite upgrade. So I believe that as far as the suites go, afts book last.

Haven't done the aft on Princess but did one a few months ago on HAL. Loved the view, the sound of the wake, the lack of foot traffic but won't be doing one again. We found we couldn't use the balcony as much as usual because it was too hot - no air circulation or breeze. Even my DH who basks in the sun found it too hot. We ended up spending more time at the aft pool where it got some air.

Archived