Cruise Critic Community
Barsuk

what to do in Samana

Hello All,

We will be in Samana thru Royal Caribbean at the end of March 2010.

We would like to visit a good beach over there. There are few trips being offered on board of the ship going to Cayo Levantado (Beach Escape), but the duration of that trip is only 4 hrs. And being in Samana till 6pm make me feel, that that trip is too short.

So we would like to take a cab\boat ride to some good beach by ourselves and would like to hear all alternatives.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hello All,

We will be in Samana thru Royal Caribbean at the end of March 2010.

We would like to visit a good beach over there. There are few trips being offered on board of the ship going to Cayo Levantado (Beach Escape), but the duration of that trip is only 4 hrs. And being in Samana till 6pm make me feel, that that trip is too short.

So we would like to take a cab\boat ride to some good beach by ourselves and would like to hear all alternatives.

Thanks a lot in advance.

I can't be sure about RCCL, but most of the lines take you to cayo beginning as soon as the ship anchors, and you can stay until the last tender. It can be as along as you want, it is not limited to four hours.

We do have many beautiful beaches to explore and discover when you visit Samana with your Cruise Ship.

Here are the most popular and famous beaches :

1) Playa Rincon * about 30 kms from port

2) La Playita in Las Galeras * about 25 kms from port

3) Playa El Valle * about 15 kms from port

4) Playa Anadel at Cayenas del Mar * about 4 kms from port

5) Playa Cayacoa * 1 km from port / right in town

You can find more information and alternatives on What to Do in Samana

at this local tourism website :

http://gosamana-dominicanrepublic.com

STEVE

Tour Guide

We do have many beautiful beaches to explore and discover when you visit Samana with your Cruise Ship.

Here are the most popular and famous beaches :

1) Playa Rincon * about 30 kms from port

2) La Playita in Las Galeras * about 25 kms from port

3) Playa El Valle * about 15 kms from port

4) Playa Anadel at Cayenas del Mar * about 4 kms from port

5) Playa Cayacoa * 1 km from port / right in town

You can find more information and alternatives on What to Do in Samana

at this local tourism website :

http://gosamana-dominicanrepublic.com

STEVE

Tour Guide

Steve,

Thank you for the list of beaches. This trip we are just interested in relaxing at at the nearest beach from the cruise ship tender landing.

Is it a safe walk to Playa Cayacoa ? I assume the dirt road along the way is walkable? Are there chair rentals, etc. there? THanks for any further info you can provide!

Yes, its easily walkable distance from the Port of Samana where your Cruise Ship tender boats will disembark you.

Just about .8 of a mile ( 1.3 Kms ) of "very safe" total walking distance using the dirt path located at the end of the seaside walking promenade ( called the Malecon ) will get you to the CAYACOA BEACH.

They have chairs for rent for about $2 or $3 USD and you will also find COLD BEERS, Fresh PINAS COLADAS served in the pineapple and great tasting COCO LOCOS served in the real coconut shell !

Here's a LINK to the best detailled MAP of the town of Samana :

http://gosamana-dominicanrepublic.com/map-samana-village.html

ENJOY! ;)

Steve

Yes, its easily walkable distance from the Port of Samana where your Cruise Ship tender boats will disembark you.

Just about .8 of a mile ( 1.3 Kms ) of "very safe" total walking distance using the dirt path located at the end of the seaside walking promenade ( called the Malecon ) will get you to the CAYACOA BEACH.

They have chairs for rent for about $2 or $3 USD and you will also find COLD BEERS, Fresh PINAS COLADAS served in the pineapple and great tasting COCO LOCOS served in the real coconut shell !

ENJOY! ;)

Steve

Which is better Cayacoa or Anadel? We were thinking of Anadel. I read we could take a cooler there, will still buy some drinks/lunch, but want to take a cooler with us. Just want a nice beach close to the port so we don't have to take a cab for an hour.

What do you mean - better? All the beaches I've ever seen in the DR are gorgeous. Beautiful fine sand, trees along the back edge of the beach for shade, lovely clear water usually with no rocks. You can bring your cooler to any beach as long as it's not a staked-out beach that some private resort is laying claim to (which is against the law, by the way. All beaches are theoretically, by law, open to the people - any people).

So it seems to me you'd be fine at any of these beaches. If you want something to eat while you're there, and there's not a place to buy food at, just tell any Dominican what you'd like, and I'm sure it will appear soon. Remember you MUST agree on the price beforehand.

Has anyone done whale watching? We'll be there at the height of the season in mid-February. I don't think NCL has any whale watching excursions, but presume we can join one onshore if we want. Any thoughts?

ENJOY! ;)

Steve

Steve are there restrooms at Cayocoa beach? Any food stands there to buy lunch? Thanks

ENJOY! ;)

Steve

Is it also possible to take a cab or motoconchos to Cayocoa rather than walking?

Steve are there restrooms at Cayocoa beach? Any food stands there to buy lunch? Thanks

I'm interested in this too. We want to go to a public (they are all public but have made a shady deal to monopolize beaches) beach in walking distance to the port. This sounds perfect! Does anyone have any pictures of this?

I'm interested in this too. We want to go to a public (they are all public but have made a shady deal to monopolize beaches) beach in walking distance to the port. This sounds perfect! Does anyone have any pictures of this?

I found a picture of it at Gosamana-dominicanrepublic.com

I found a picture of it at Gosamana-dominicanrepublic.com

Thank you Karena! Great pic! I think we'll plan on walking there from the port with the baby in his stroller! You have helped me a lot - I have been so frustrated trying to find somewhere to go!

Thank you Karena! Great pic! I think we'll plan on walking there from the port with the baby in his stroller! You have helped me a lot - I have been so frustrated trying to find somewhere to go!

I am kinda guessing we will go there also.