Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SailinC2C

Want an Ocean View Balcony, Which deck???

We are planning to book Oasis next Jan and I was looking at pricing for the days we want. As expected there many choices for a balcony cabin. We are only interested in an Ocean view. I notice that if you pick the cheapest balcony, you seem to be on the Boardwalk deck level. That seems like it could be pretty busy.

Can anyone give me some guidelines on the best deck options?

we had an ocean view balcony on deck 7 and it was perfect for us. We were port side right off the forward elevators and stairwell. Quick flight of stairs up and into Central Park to transverse the ship if you didn't want to go down to 5 to do the same thing via the Promenade. Was great for us.

Get it on the starboard side, so as to see the other islands when passing and she docks on that side as well.

As far as the decks depends on what your personal preferences. I chose deck 6 because we are on the Boardwalk, and we can take the stairs either up a couple to Central Park or down one and be at the Promenade and our MDR deck. (And furthest possible from the windjammer) Just kidding, but it is my least favorite spot on board, but I digress. Some people like the higher decks when you have a balcony, because you can see further.

My two pesos for the day

I actually preferred our port side balcony for the views while in port. To each their own there. Many prefer to watch the "goings on" in port. I posted a couple of photos of the view from my balcony here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1145795

We were on deck 7, just off the elevator banks in cabin 7266. We thought this was a great location, quiet in the room. Close to the aft where for us, most of what we wanted was there. 2 decks down to the dining room and the Promenade. One deck down to Boardwalk and Aqua Theater. :)

yeah I enjoyed the views from the port side as well. We had a nice view in St. Thomas and had a view towards Atlantis in Nassau.... since we docked port side in St. Maarten all we saw were other boats, which is cool and all in it's own right. It's all relative. My theory is that any view from a balcony cabin on a cruise ship is better than the one from my cubicle... lol

Point is Deck 7 was awesome for my brother and I.

...any view from a balcony cabin on a cruise ship is better than the one from my cubicle... lol

LOL!! :D ...good point.

I don't recommend the 14th....we had a D1 and there is an overhang from the pool deck overhead that prevents you from getting sun until late in the afternoon. There was also some noise from the lounge chairs around the pool deck, especially on the windy nights when they were blowing and banging around!

We were in 6672 in January and it was a great location.

- A quick walk to the Boardwalk area

- One flight of stairs down to the Promenade

- Close to the aft elevators and up to the Windjammer and pool decks.

And our favorite, close to the water so we can sit out on the balcony in the dark and listen to the waves.

Someone I know was recently on deck 8 and thought it was very convenient as it was near to Central Park.

We were on deck 8 and really liked the locaton. We were pretty close to the elevators, and right where Central Park is. I was able to get my morning coffee at the Park Cafe and we could easily get something to eat.

We were on deck 8 and really liked the locaton. We were pretty close to the elevators, and right where Central Park is. I was able to get my morning coffee at the Park Cafe and we could easily get something to eat.

We selected adeck 8 oceanview balcony on Allure next Feb. for this exact reason. I thought it would be nice to stroll through Central Park for the morning coffee.

I also learned on the Freedom Class that I like to travel the length of the ship on the wider, public venues rather than the narrow cabin corridors.

We are planning to book Oasis next Jan and I was looking at pricing for the days we want. As expected there many choices for a balcony cabin. We are only interested in an Ocean view. I notice that if you pick the cheapest balcony, you seem to be on the Boardwalk deck level. That seems like it could be pretty busy.

Can anyone give me some guidelines on the best deck options?

We had deck 8,forward starboard side ,booked the same room now for Allure.Perfect for us .

Love hearing all this....we're on deck 8, port, for the Apr 24th sailing, and from everything I've read, it's a great place to be. Especially all the compliments on Central Park, it'll be nice to be close to the Park Cafe and those rumored to be delicious roast beef sandwiches!!!

My ctriteria is quiet and away from the hustle and bustle when I'm in my room. I selected the 14th and as far forward as possible. There are no guest rooms across the hallway and I only have one side adjoing to a guest room. This way I assure a minimized chance of having a rowdy party crowd during the Valentine/School Break. It was a good call because the ship security had their hands full the entire week- getting calls at 2 and 3 in the mornings from many annoyed cruisers regarding loud and noisy kids running around.

The music coming from the Solarium at 2 in the morning was very much muffled to almost zero level, although I loved the dance tracks that were mixed.

There is less overhead balcony coverage (due to the Solarium's configuration), therefore I had much better sunny days experience throughout the cruise.

The only sound I hear are the occasional turbine pumps of the Solarium Whirlpools. At first I thought it was the ship's propulsion system.

I would book this room again without any thoughts.

IMG_8141.jpg?t=1267476206

Superior exposure to the sun

IMG_8132.jpg?t=1267476301

IMG_8131.jpg?t=1267476404

IMG_8134.jpg?t=1267476433

We chose 12590 for our upcoming cruise on the Oasis. It is a D5 category. It is near the front elevator bank but it is right beside a D1 and it looks like the balcony will be a little larger than the other D5 balconies. Plus there is not the large number of inside cabins forward like on most of the other decks. Stayed away from deck 14 due to the overhang and because Adventure Ocean is forward on that deck.

Really, there is no undue problems coming from the Adventure Kid's section. The walls are well built and more sound-proofed than most other typical cabins. I could not hear a thing.

This 14th floor thing is really a non-issue.

What overhang are you talking about ?

Really, there is no undue problems coming from the Adventure Kid's section. The walls are well built and more sound-proofed than most other typical cabins. I could not hear a thing.

This 14th floor thing is really a non-issue.

What overhang are you talking about ?

Since I have not been on the ship yet, I had to go by deck plans. Deck 14 looked like it had a small over hang and I also read where other people had mentioned it.

As far as the Adventure Ocean for me it is not just a matter of sound but I would think there would be additional kids in the forward hallways on deck 14.

It looks like an over hang in this picture I borrowed from someone else. If you look from the whirlpool towards the aft.

web.jpg?ver=12659411250001

Since I have not been on the ship yet, I had to go by deck plans. Deck 14 looked like it had a small over hang and I also read where other people had mentioned it.

As far as the Adventure Ocean for me it is not just a matter of sound but I would think there would be additional kids in the forward hallways on deck 14.

The pix I posted earlier before this actually shows more sunshine than typical.

As for the kids deal, I didn't even see one down in our hallway. The kids entryway is down in center, far far away from us. The way it was designed it took such concerns seriously and I think the designers had done an awesome job. Here is their entryway, the adult parents loved sitting on the bean bags.

IMG_8031.jpg?t=1267503352

That overhang probably affects only one or two rooms, not an entire 14th floor wing. With a floor plan in hand, you'd have no trouble calling the shots when making a room reservation.

I pulled this picture out from my drive to gain a closer look.

If the overhang is a problem, I'd book the front most 9 rooms. That will assure unobstructed sun, mine was front most, starboard

IMG_8326.jpg?t=1267503594

we had an ocean view balcony on deck 7 and it was perfect for us. We were port side right off the forward elevators and stairwell. Quick flight of stairs up and into Central Park to transverse the ship if you didn't want to go down to 5 to do the same thing via the Promenade. Was great for us.

What cabin # were you in? We're in the same location in July :D

We had a deck ten port side balcony w ocean view. I really liked our location. I wouldn't hesitate to book that same cabin again. Funny though, I see we booked a Deck eleven cabin for Allure. Maybe the Deck Ten was already taken.

What cabin # were you in? We're in the same location in July :D

We were in 7166 - bed located near the balcony. Great location.

HeadShot, thanks for the pics, especially of the kids' entrance. We have a 4 yr old, so we'll be there often.

And I think I might have to make your pic of you sitting on the balcony with the coffee my computer background. Just looking at that picture makes me go "Ahhhhhhhhhh."