Baseball Caps in Dining Room

Hal&Rob

Please do not let me see any baseball caps in the MDR or pinnacle, you will be very embarrassed when I call the head waiter to remove it or remove you. And yes we understand they are worn for medical reasons, by the way we will be on the Zaandam.

Well said! My husband is very fair-skinned had had several skin cancers removed from his face, head and neck areas. His oncologist has advised him to wear a hat or cap, in addition to sunscreen, whenever he goes out doors - most especially when he will be out in the sun. He does wear a cap or hat when onboard for those times he chooses to sit out on deck or walk on the promenade. He has never worn his cap in any of the dining room areas, nor has he worn it to the shows or any of the other 'indoor' activites. He carries it with him and dons it when necessary.

We have seen many, many people, including women, wearing hats, caps, sun visors, etc, throughout the ship and have never given it a thought.

Before criticizing so generally, perhaps a bit more thoughtfulness might be given to the fact that some folks have medical reasons for wearing a cap or hat. We cruised with a lovely lady last year who wore her hat everywhere, even into the MDR :eek:!! She was in remission from cancer, and had lost her hair due to her chemotherapy, and it had not yet completely grown back. This was her "Victory Cruise". I met her on the Susan Komen "Walk For The Cure" on HAL and she was one of the lovliest and most courageous people I have ever had the good fortune to encounter. And....all her hats were lovely!

I don't think people are criticizing wearing caps. What they are criticizing is wearing them in the dining room.

After my husband had surgery for cancerous brain tumors he was insecure about the 23 bloody staples in his head and he wore hats out in public. I guess he should have stayed home until after his staples were removed and his hair grew back :rolleyes::rolleyes:

###

But as mentioned, dinner time or not, I would just tip said hat and move on to my table. The dicussion is courtesy not medical and baseball caps. Fedora's are two separate head accessories as mentioned by the ladies who also remember the time when women wore hats indoors. :confused:

I would ask them politely to take them off and when they did not I took them off, opened the front door, and threy them out on the front porch....

OMG, I knew there was a reason why I loved you two ! ! ! ! ! I just think it's disrespectful to wear a baseball cap in a house, restaurant, church, etc. But that's just my 2 cents worth.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

As far as medical need, different story of course. Though there is no "medical need" to wear a baseball cap. Get a fedora. If exposure to light is the issue, wear sunglasses. I've got to believe they are better at keeping out light then the brim of a baseball cap with exposed sides. They're not that expensive and they can be appropriate given the situation. For a woman with a bald head following chemo, it's perfectly acceptable to wear a scarf or a hat inside. Women get screwed on so many other issues we get to wear hats inside if we want.

As far as my son goes, his doctor says not to wear the sunglasses. He has prescription sunglasses, the type for athletes that wrap around his face. When he has to be indoors where it is not appropriate to wear a cap (as at our Bible meetings) he does wear the sunglasses. But his doctor actually told him not to. Keeping himself in artificial darkness only makes his problem worse as he then is even more sensitive to light. So my apologies to anyone that will be offended but his only recourse at this point is to wear a ball cap. Actually the brim is what he uses to create a shadow and he will turn it however he needs to to shield his eyes. I would stand on my head if it would make his migraines disappear. It is sad to see the glazed look he gets on his face and know he is headed for another migraine that puts him in bed for hours. If a ball cap allows him to have some relief then as far as I am concerned he can wear the ball cap.

diane

Is one to assume then the only place proper to wear a hat is outside?

That's correct.

Guess you can't wear one inside ones car as well.

If the car is in your living room, then you are correct again.

I worked with a young man who suffered from a severe scalp condition that caused him to loose all his hair in patches He wore a baseball cap/hat to ease his pain. there are many other men/people who suffer conditions that you may not know anything about, but here you all are casting judgment without knowing the facts!!

...but here you all are casting judgment without knowing the facts!!

The "fact" is that most men who are walking around with a cap on, and who do not remove it when indoors, are not suffering from anything more "painful" than unmannerly behavior.

So my apologies to anyone that will be offended but his only recourse at this point is to wear a ball cap.

I feel awful for your son having to deal with that condition and I'm I sure it's awful for you to have to see him go through this. The last thing you need to do is apologize to people on a Cruise Critic message board.

The "fact" is that most men who are walking around with a cap on, and who do not remove it when indoors, are not suffering from anything more "painful" than unmannerly behavior.

Really :rolleyes:

Obviously you have never had a family member or a friend suffer from cancer or it's side affects.

Have you ever looked at the St. Joe's or Make a Wish Foundation? MOST people who have gone though cancer treatments wear hats.

Please get over the fact that some wear baseball caps. Good gosh, your meal will taste the same :mad:

###

Exactly RuthC

If some dude beeboped into the MDR with his baggy pants hanging halfway down with his undies exposed and was criticized for it, some poster would offer his anecdotal evidence of an aquaintance who had a rash on his butt and had a doctors note to dress in such a manner. Therefore never criticize low hanging, undie showing beeboppers.

Rich

The only "fact" concerning this topic is that there's no way to know why someone is wearing a certain article of clothing without asking them directly. I'm sure we all know the old adage about assuming....

So very true!! With that said karma is karma...

###

The very simple answer is this - there is a difference between a hat and a baseball cap, and there is a difference between a woman wearing a hat inside and man doing the same. My husband is completely bald. He will be dead before he dines inside wearing a baseball cap. The obvious answer for the gentlemen who wear caps for skin protection is to remove the cap when they come inside. I, too, have heard the excuse of not having a place to hang one's hat. While on a cruise it's hardly plausible to say, "I have nowhere to put my hat." Go back to your cabin and leave it there until after the meal.

As far as medical need, different story of course. Though there is no "medical need" to wear a baseball cap. Get a fedora. If exposure to light is the issue, wear sunglasses. I've got to believe they are better at keeping out light then the brim of a baseball cap with exposed sides. They're not that expensive and they can be appropriate given the situation. For a woman with a bald head following chemo, it's perfectly acceptable to wear a scarf or a hat inside. Women get screwed on so many other issues we get to wear hats inside if we want.

The issue here is truly one of giving the finger to those around you. Yes, it is in poor taste for a gentleman to dine wearing a cap. It just is. I didn't write the rule, but it is the societal norm as much as any appropriate clothing is concerned. Bathing suits are for pools and beaches, sneakers are for casual settings, a floor length sequined gown is for a formal affair, and hats on gentlemen are not for the dining room.

nighty nite and happy sailings..

Ballcaps and scullies have become a fashion statement among the young. They feel it is a "look" they are putting together and are usually proud of their ensemble. It has become a part of their social norm as much as mini skirts were a part of mine when I was young.

If the cap / scullie wearer is among his friends, they won't see anthing wrong with what they're wearing and no warnings would be given within the group that their fashion statement would be inappropriate in certain venues. A parent or maitre d' would need to request the removal of the cap explaining it doesn't conform to the dress code in the MDR or Pinnacle.

When these young men go out at night to clubs, they dress in these same caps / scullies and are fashionably attired for the venue they are attending. It's a way of life and a social norm for these young men.

If you encounter a young man dressed in what he deems as acceptable attire for "going out on the town," but is not the same attire you would deem acceptable, perhaps you should just grin and say to yourself, "ahhhh....the younger generation. :) I remember when we did things like that and we thought we looked hip. It probably drove our parents / grandparents nuts."

My point is that some of these hat wearers aren't doing it maliciously, they're dressing in a manner they find acceptable and normal. This generational "changing of the current style" has been going on forever and will continue forever.

I agree that there are general social mores that should continue to be adhered to and the wearing of a ballcap or scullie in a fancy restaurant is for the most part (medical resasons aside) unacceptable. However, making a blanket assumption about a person who is wearing something other than the norm should not "scar" that person in your mind without knowing all the facts. The rush to judgment is acidic. A black and white attitude is even worse.

Acceptance and tolerance is what keeps socieity civil. And, it keeps people nonjudgemental...a very nast trait.

Ballcaps and scullies have become a fashion statement among the young. They feel it is a "look" they are putting together and are usually proud of their ensemble. It has become a part of their social norm as much as mini skirts were a part of mine when I was young.

If the cap / scullie wearer is among his friends, they won't see anthing wrong with what they're wearing and no warnings would be given within the group that their fashion statement would be inappropriate in certain venues. A parent or maitre d' would need to request the removal of the cap explaining it doesn't conform to the dress code in the MDR or Pinnacle.

When these young men go out at night to clubs, they dress in these same caps / scullies and are fashionably attired for the venue they are attending. It's a way of life and a social norm for these young men.

If you encounter a young man dressed in what he deems as acceptable attire for "going out on the town," but is not the same attire you would deem acceptable, perhaps you should just grin and say to yourself, "ahhhh....the younger generation. :) I remember when we did things like that and we thought we looked hip. It probably drove our parents / grandparents nuts."

My point is that some of these hat wearers aren't doing it maliciously, they're dressing in a manner they find acceptable and normal. This generational "changing of the current style" has been going on forever and will continue forever.

I agree that there are general social mores that should continue to be adhered to and the wearing of a ballcap or scullie in a fancy restaurant is for the most part (medical resasons aside) unacceptable. However, making a blanket assumption about a person who is wearing something other than the norm should not "scar" that person in your mind without knowing all the facts. The rush to judgment is acidic. A black and white attitude is even worse.

Acceptance and tolerance is what keeps socieity civil. And, it keeps people nonjudgemental...a very nast trait.

Excellent Observations !!!!!

I joined the Cruise Critic over two (2) years ago. I have been able to obtain great information on all type of cruises, ships, shore excursions, ports of call and so on. In addition as a result of the Roll Call we have met many wonderful people who we have now sailed with multiple times.

I did not expect to see this type of thread. It appears over the last several months the most popular threads have been whether HAL bathrobes should be worn outside your cabin, passenger who do not dress up on formal night and now baseball caps worn on ships. What's next, men who wear shoes with no socks !

Though I started a thread about a man on the Eurodam who was in a speedo with no shirt or shoes in the salad bar line on 12/6/09, the thread was to make HAL aware of the health issues concerning this situation.

Let's get back talking about cruising and not start a thread that starts a lot of "flaming" and just plain rude remarks. As my DW says, don't sweat the small stuff.

I worked with a young man who suffered from a severe scalp condition that caused him to loose all his hair in patches He wore a baseball cap/hat to ease his pain. there are many other men/people who suffer conditions that you may not know anything about, but here you all are casting judgment without knowing the facts!!

I have no dog in this hunt because I really don't care whether men wear baseball caps indoors or not, although I personally would not wear one unless I was attending a sporting event. However, as a gambler at heart, I would be very comfortable wagering that 99% of men who wear baseball caps indoors are not doing so due to medical reasons.

wearing a ball cap backwards lowers your IQ by 10 points outside and 20 if worn indoors.:eek:

30 if sunglasses are on top of it !

Some anthropologist, 200 years from now will try to reconstruct a 2010 normal male from skeletons and will put the eyes on top of the head. :eek:

Archived