Should Carnival get rid of the waiter dance in the MDR?

a3593

Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?  

1,717 members have voted

1. 1. Should Carnival get rid of the MDR waiter dance & shuffle?

• Yes
    • No

Did you not read the rest of my post?

Negotiations go on all the time where the business relationships between employer/employees are concerned. A happier workplace means happier employees...which spills over to better service... which means happier customers....and ta-da! More business for Carnival.

I'm not saying the Wait staff should get to call all the shots... but if a SIGNIFICANT MAJORITY of them are unhappy with the situation, then Carnival should listen to what they have to say. It's not about democracy... it's about good business ethics.

ok:rolleyes:

*Softly laughs* I never said you should stop going to the MDR, I simply said that if you did not like it, there were alternatives that may be more to your liking. Very true about the fact that customer opinion can sway the course of a business, my point simply was and is, that if someone and it could be anyone, does not like what is being offered in one venue, there is another venue that may suit their needs better. Be it the MDR, or YTD, or even to CCl and RCCL. Just because some do not like something, does not mean all do not like it. Just as one's perception of an action does not mean it is necessarily correct. We are just human after all, and have varied likes and dislikes, that is what makes every moment such a wonder to enjoy.

Totally agree with you. But the conflation that if you don't like the singing and dancing means you should eat elsewhere is bothersome. I think few people dislike it enough to choose the buffet every night. ;)

There used to be a great place out in Bucks County my folks took me to when I was a kid. Could be it was great because I *was* a kid. ;)

You mean you do not appreciate that classic New Jersey institution known as Medievel Times?:p

That foolishness alone does more to dissuade the myth that dining on Carnival or any other line is "formal". Face it the dining room is like the side show of a cheap circus, and that alone justifies doing away with any dress codes other than resort casual!!

Actually the reason the MDR looks like the side show of a cheap circus is because people DON'T follow the dress code that already exists. Fix the circus coming into the MDR and then maybe there would be justification to fix the "circus" within the MDR... :p

I work for a company that is known for telling jokes, singing and goofing off (southwest air lines). People that are funny are encouraged to "do their thing". However, if you aren't good at delivering jokes, etc, then offer your own form of exceptional service, but don't do something that makes you feel uncomfortable as it will come across badly. Last cruise on the glory, our server looked miserable. Granted he looked miserable throughout the whole service, but I digress. It was not "enjoyable" watching him as I could see the displeasure in his face.

I'll trade you one entire dancing MDR staff for one rapping flight attendant... :D

What do you think? I vote yes...how about you? I find it disruptive, and I feel sorry for the folks forced to do it!

I think it is fun to watch the waiters play around, yeah some of them don't enjoy it but I think most do especially when we see them and see which waiters get the most applause. On all our cruises I have been on I knew only one that you could tell didn't like it, the others SEEMED to like it or they sure fooled us.

I've been pulled up to sing and dance with more then one waiter, I think they can tell who is having fun and wouldn't mind making a fool of themselves :p, yeah that be me. Or maybe we just got the fun waiters.

I do wish they would change the acts though.

Actually the reason the MDR looks like the side show of a cheap circus is because people DON'T follow the dress code that already exists. Fix the circus coming into the MDR and then maybe there would be justification to fix the "circus" within the MDR... :p

quote]

you keep refering to their dress code... have you read it?? Its pretty lax

You mean you do not appreciate that classic New Jersey institution known as Medievel Times?:p

Do you know I've never been there? I have been to Tony and Tina's Wedding (a surprisingly good time) and the Pirate's Dinner Adventure in Orlando. I drank a bit too much at the Pirate's Dinner and ended making eyes at the Green Pirate all night long.

I was just thinking about how long the songs HOT HOT HOT and Leaving on a Jet Plane are. Under 5 minutes?

I really can't believe that 5-10 minutes can cause that much disruption to one's evening.

We're on vacation... our schedules can't be that tight, can they?

Do you know I've never been there? I have been to Tony and Tina's Wedding (a surprisingly good time) and the Pirate's Dinner Adventure in Orlando. I drank a bit too much at the Pirate's Dinner and ended making eyes at the Green Pirate all night long.

Well I will admit I have been.... lOl

and yes they refer to it as dinner theater.. I refer to it as grown men who wear tights and live in their mother's basement theater... :eek:

All kidding aside... The food was the absolute worst... and the 'show' pure velveta.:p

I was just thinking about how long the songs HOT HOT HOT and Leaving on a Jet Plane are. Under 5 minutes?

I really can't believe that 5-10 minutes can cause that much disruption to one's evening.

We're on vacation... our schedules can't be that tight, can they?

The song takes about 5 minutes, but most of the waitstaff disappear ago 10 minutes before that, at least they did on the cruises I was on. Some disappeared 20 minutes before that and just loitered in the back of the room. Then again, I had cruises where I never actually *saw* the assistant waiter. ;)

Could the solution not be to start the dancing after dessert and final drinks are served so that those of us who don't care for it can leave as soon as we are finished and those who love it can carry on with the tradition?

My first 3 cruises were with RCCL and this is how they did it in the late 90's. Though I am getting from this thread that CCL is the only line that does the dancing now, correct?

Though I am getting from this thread that CCL is the only line that does the dancing now, correct?

The only dinner show I've ever seen on NCL was the hibachi grill on the Gem. That dude could work a knife and spatula like a champ.

Excellant point. Why should I have to leave the MDR before I am thru eating to avoid the singing and dancing on the tables. Some people just do not think things thru before they post a response.doh.gif

...and why should I have to miss the "show" because you don't care for it?

My life is full of random moments :) It's an interesting ride! I should journal it :eek:

You really should..enjoy your posts...and your shall we say...dealing with the public (I can not spell the word I want) expert advice...sjn911.:)

I didnt vote because I'm torn... We do like the singing/dancing waitstaff and most times actually join them....BUT.... I do not like that they have to stop what they are doing (most times waiting to serve desert) and start the show...

Usually my coffee is cold by the time the show is over and the desert is served... So, my vote would be to drop it down to maybe 2 times during the week at most...

Unlike you I like a break between dinner and dessert and the singing and dancing gives me a break so I can eat dessert. :D

I drink my tea while the show is going on and I get another one when it is done. You can ask for a fresh cup and you will get it. :)

...and why should I have to miss the "show" because you don't care for it?

Excuse me but I have never said that you have to miss the show because I don't care for it. I don't think that you have to worry about the singing and dancing going away anytime soon. Personally I am hanging around and going to finish my desert. That does not mean that I have to like the singing and dancing on tables that people are trying enjoy a good meal on. I actually don't care if you like it or not.

you keep refering to their dress code... have you read it?? Its pretty lax

Oh, you know, I read all that silly paperwork that comes with my tickets...;)

"What to Wear?

Casual attire is the order of the day. We suggest shorts, sundresses, tank tops, etc. for the ladies, and for men; shorts, polo shirts, T-shirts, etc. will do. We suggest you wear rubber-soled, low heeled or flat shoes for extra traction while onboard. The use of any footwear with wheels, including but not limited, to Heelys© shoes, is prohibited on board our ships. For dining you may want to dress up a bit and/or bring along a light sports jacket or cardigan.

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido Restaurant.

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats."

I don't see it as that "lax." There is a what to wear to the dining room and a what not to wear and seems to be way more people reading the latter as "allowed" than rightly should. :rolleyes:

Dump it! Our waiter told us flat out on our last Carnival cruise that the majority of the staff absolutely DREADS it but the only other option is to find another job.

Gee, our waiters said most waiters like it, it's the uptight one's that don't. I guess it's who you talk to. Or maybe it's what they thought we wanted to hear:confused:

I don't see it as that "lax." There is a what to wear to the dining room and a what not to wear and seems to be way more people reading the latter as "allowed" than rightly should. :rolleyes:

I do........compared to what it used to be (and they still had the silly dancing waiters) and compared to other lines.......yes very laxed.......

Archived