Hurricane Season and Carnival?

M.S JAZO

We are sailing on the Victory in August. August 28 to be exact. I choose that day only becasue last hurricane Season no hurricanes hit Florida at that day or around it. It was August 14 and then like Sept 6. Kind of stupied. In 2003 we sailed in September on the Legend and we went to the Bahamas cause of a hurrincane but we had never been there so it was ok. This year we are going to the western caribbean. I know that when a hurricane is h iiting the go the other route, west east or vice-versa. It does seem that most hurricanes hit eastern caribbean, right? then the turn up to Florida. Not to many do the western route. Last year it did but mid september. Does the insruance u buy from Carnival affect if there is a hurrincane, or do they annouce any refunds or credits like last year. Please reasure. I am feeling like changing the date but the 28th of August had a great price for the wrap around 9A cabin. What to do?

You want us to tell you that everything is going to be perfect - the price was cheap (duh)- playing weatherman (the hurricaines are going here and there by your calendar).

So what to do - clean up your spelling, fix the grammar, and ask Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel or ask MOM.

Anyone who travels then taking a gamble-so roll the dice or pick another time.

Was this a serious post ?- I'm confused - did not sound like an adult.

We lucked out and cruised that week in August last year! Regardless, the last two weeks of August and the first two weeks of September are the peak for the season, historically. Huricaines can happen June-November (and even outside that), so ya pays your monay and ya takes yer chances. We lucked out last year so we're doing July 24th this year. Still could happen, but the best part is...ships move! We're not worried at all. Whatever happens, happens. There ain't a darn thing we can do about it, so why worry? :)

I dont know why you found it to be a stupid question. Many poeple book cruises for that time and take a gamble. I am aware of the fact that we are taking a gamble. I have been using the board for like 7 months and this is the first post that has been so disrespectful for a question which many people sometimes ask So I wrote fast and mispelled some words. Big deal, You understood it enough to reply in the form you did. So I say it again. Does the insurance you buy from Carnival have anything to do if there is a hurricane or do they let everyone know of any credits/changes or refunds as soon as they know they are changing route? And the other is or was do you think I should change sailing even though I got a great price for a 9A wrap-around on the Victory? Has anyone sailed late August into early September. Any problems. Last year Francis hit mid August and then Ivan hit like September 6 or 7 and so on with the rest.

*** WOWZO, If you find it hard helping people when they have a question which no matter how stupid or simple it may seem then I think you should find somewhere else to help people, if that is what you consider helping people. And if you are still confused, well sorry but you will have to stay confused.

Generally speaking, if the ship sails, you have no loss, however, if you cannot get to the ship for any reason due to the hurricane, usually the cruise line will do its best for you to catch up at the next port. Your insurance would cover the extra cost for food, lodging & airfare.

Cruise lines don't publish any policy of adjustments, credits, etc., re hurricane alternate arrangements. Just have to wait it out and see what happens. As Cruisemark's post states, the ship will sail around the hurricane & no problem, usually.....Last year was a bad hurricane season, but those weather guys can't make a good prediction even when the hurricane blows away their own building....

Today is a perfect example of the unpredicable weather that can happen. Those up north who have insurance due to cancelled flights may be able to catch up with the cruise ship at its next port of call w/o much $$ loss. Those w/o insurance, are just up the creek. Definately buy the insurance either from Carnival or an independent co.

Happy cruising....

Last year Carnival had revised schedules of ships and compensation detailed on its website. There was also a link on this website that kept people updated on what was going on.

If you like the price I wouldnt switch. Last year was abnormal. Cruiselines never had to scramble that much in their history. Weather is so unpredictible, having insurance and saying a pray is about all you can do when sailing in Hurricane Season.

MyImagination is right. We sailed Labor Day week end when Frances hit. Because the hurricane hit for the week end this affected many ships. Our cruise was to have left on Sunday but was changed to Monday. Carnival's website and their 800# was updated with a recording advising of all the changes and the compensation. Changes and compensation etc were updated 24-48 hours in advance (I think though mostly 48 hours). If a hurricane hits mid week while you are out to sea then the effect is that you may not go to one of the ports promised. They can substitute a different port or just have a day of sea instead. In that case you get $30 on board credit per person to compensate you the port charges you supposedly had paid for that port. This is of course if you get no port not if they change ports. last year was an unusual one with so many hurricanes. the odds are with you so enjoy but be prepared to be flexible. Have insurance just in case and read the fine print to know what they cover.

MSJazo - No questions are stupid here. That's what we're here for, to answer and help whenever we can.

It's just that, as you know, nobody can predict the weather, and eveybody takes their chances cruising during hurricane season, which is six months long. Personally, I usually cruise the first week or two in September. I know the possibilities of change in ports is there, but I book and go with the flow.

Wowzo - You are out of line.:o If you had read the Cruise Critic rules, you'd know not to criticize anyone for spelling or to belittle any question.

My past cruises were during that eek you stated. (my birthday is the 30th)

Its a gamble I am willing to take because of the cheap prices. If a chance you will be greatly disappointed in any changes to ports..then change your week. (but again you are taking that gamble coz no one really knows when a hurricane will hit)

you have to read your policy to see what is included. If a hurricane hits and you decide that you dont want to go...I think you lose out.

But Carnival did offer people things last year for their hurricanes.

I am leaving next month and looked into some policies because I was afraid of snow. The policy states they will only pay meif the airport closes. (which they did yesterday for the first time since 1998 because of weather) If the planes are only grounded because of weather the policy will not pay.

Thats why its important to know what insurance oyou are getting.

Wowzo you are out of line and just disrespectful. No question is stupid whether asked by an adult or a child and Jazo was not deserving of your post. I speak and write in four other languages and when a spelling mistake is made it does not make me stupid or ignorant or deserving of rudeness.

Pense antes de você insulta outros - no spelling mistakes there.

Jazo - this link may interest you http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=146

We've booked a western Carribean cruise for August this year (western because the hurricane season peaks a bit later than eastern). We've never cruised during hurricane season before but it was really the only time that worked for everyone. So, we purchased the insurance and rolled the dice. Most likely it will all be fine.

:eek: :eek: :eek: !!!

You want us to tell you that everything is going to be perfect - the price was cheap (duh)- playing weatherman (the hurricaines are going here and there by your calendar).

So what to do - clean up your spelling, fix the grammar, and ask Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel or ask MOM.

Anyone who travels then taking a gamble-so roll the dice or pick another time.

Was this a serious post ?- I'm confused - did not sound like an adult.

We are sailing on the Victory in August. August 28 to be exact. I choose that day only becasue last hurricane Season no hurricanes hit Florida at that day or around it. It was August 14 and then like Sept 6. Kind of stupied. In 2003 we sailed in September on the Legend and we went to the Bahamas cause of a hurrincane but we had never been there so it was ok. This year we are going to the western caribbean. I know that when a hurricane is h iiting the go the other route, west east or vice-versa. It does seem that most hurricanes hit eastern caribbean, right? then the turn up to Florida. Not to many do the western route. Last year it did but mid september. Does the insruance u buy from Carnival affect if there is a hurrincane, or do they annouce any refunds or credits like last year. Please reasure. I am feeling like changing the date but the 28th of August had a great price for the wrap around 9A cabin. What to do?

Your wrong about the hurricane hitting part. We were on the Glory August 28-Sept. 4 and didn't get off the ship until the Sept 8 due to a hurricane. Im sure a lot of people remember this.

Sometimes sailing in hurricane season is a gamble that pays off, sometimes it doesn't. We always cruise the week around Labor Day, last year we had a 7 day turn into a 9 day cruise, not a problem for me! An extra day in Coz. and an extra sea day, and I wasn't complaining! Worst thing: we had to use paper napkins at dinner that last night. Don't know how we survived, LOL!

It is a chance you take traveling during that time. I was scheduled to take the inspiration the week of Sept 3. The hurricaines put a end to that. Carnival offered a full refund onboard credits etc. The insurance coverd the airfare. That being said I am going on the Valor the week of August 14th (please let the weather be good). As many of the other posts have indicated traveling during that time to the caribbean is a chance you take. Take the insurance.

We have had two experiences with weather and cruising. In 2003 we were on the Conquest 7/6 through 7/13. We were not able to go to Grand Cayman or Cozumel due to the weather. I think it was Tropical Storm Claudette. The captain simply took us the Ocho

Rios instead of Cayman and then we had two sea days back to NO. We received a credit on our sign and sail, I don't remember the exact amount.

The other was in September 1998 (I think). DH and I were on the Windjammer Fantome when Hurricane Floyd hit the Florida Keys. We were sailing off the coast of Honduras. Our weather was perfect. Captain said it was due to Floyd.

Unfortunately, Hurricane Mitch hit 2 1/2 weeks later and the Fantome and her

crew were lost.

Archived