Is the Grand suite on Explorer of the Seas worth it?

Hi!

Thanks for responding to my question!! I am going on the Explorer this July on the five night to Bermuda. We are booked in a JS (myself, a friend and my 7 year old daughter) and was wondering if the Grand suite is worth it for the extra room and conceirge service. We are travelling with four other people who will not be in a suite.

Would our friends be able to use any of the conceirge services? Like boarding with us? Also, where do they reserve the pool chairs, in the adult pool, or by the big pool.

How much extra should I be willing to pay? I only vacation once a year, so I am so looking forward to it.

Thanks

I don't think it is worth it unless the price difference is minimal (and sometimes that happens). Your friends won't be able to join you in the concierge lounge and it's a short cruise.

On the 5day Bermuda I was looking at the GS was $200 more pp than the JS and they sold out fast so keep that in mind if you see a price drop on that category.

Hi!

Thanks for responding to my question!! I am going on the Explorer this July on the five night to Bermuda. We are booked in a JS (myself, a friend and my 7 year old daughter) and was wondering if the Grand suite is worth it for the extra room and conceirge service. We are travelling with four other people who will not be in a suite.

Would our friends be able to use any of the conceirge services? Like boarding with us? Also, where do they reserve the pool chairs, in the adult pool, or by the big pool.

How much extra should I be willing to pay? I only vacation once a year, so I am so looking forward to it.

Thanks

We really enjoyed the Concierge Lounge during our December cruise. Your friends will not be able use it though. The reserved pool chairs are at the end of the big pool....part of the area that steps up to the next deck (like "stadium" seating.) The weather was not good on our sea days so we never used that perk. You also get reserved seating in the front rows of the upper level of the theater which we did use, but didn't need to since the theater was half empty.

Also, your friends will not get priority boarding or disembarking. If we had been traveling with friends, we probably would have stuck with a JS.

The only monetary benefit to the CL will be some "free" drinks in the lounge...your friends won't be allowed to partake and the drinks are only served for a couple of hours pre-dinner....(and they're not exactly "free"--you pay for them in the cost of the GS!!!)

They won't be allowed to use the "reserved" seating with you, either.

I'd stick with the JS---lots of space and comfort without that big pricetag...and you and your friends will be on "equal" footing everywhere!

As far as the "free drinks" in rge concierge Lounge, you are expected to tip the concierge. We tipped $50 which I read on these boards was standard for a 7 night cruise. I don't think we drank $50 worth. It is just another person to tip. If you a big drinker you night get your moneys worth. The bad thing is in the Voyager class ships the lounge has no windows. I'd rather be at a bar with a view.

As far as the "free drinks" in rge concierge Lounge, you are expected to tip the concierge. We tipped $50 which I read on these boards was standard for a 7 night cruise. I don't think we drank $50 worth. It is just another person to tip. If you a big drinker you night get your moneys worth. The bad thing is in the Voyager class ships the lounge has no windows. I'd rather be at a bar with a view.

There isn't a recommended amount for the concierge, because people use the service differently. If you just go in and have a few drinks during the week, $10-20 is fine. If you are there every night and ask him to book you a few reservations, then $50 might be appropriate, but I do divide the tip between the concierge and the bartender.

We usually go each night and have 2 drinks each so I base my tip on that.

I'd stick with the JS - actually DH liked the lay-out of the JS better than the GS (gotta love that walk-in closet). Also, your daughter would not be permitted in the Concierge Lounge during cocktails, so that's something to consider also. If I were traveling with friends who would not have these privileges, including the reserved seating (we only used it at the ice show) it would be a no-brainer regardless of the price.

I believe it to be a fair bit bigger, and personally I like the bar area. Only seen the pics but the extra room is more what I base the price difference on vs the CL or perks.

Of course, even with the bar you cannot stock it with bottles to offer hospitality to guests...so that may not be worth having anymore.

Have a great time either way.

There is no "standard" tip for the Concierge - we tip according to what, if any, services we receive. A Concierge who makes reservations, helps out his bar staff (or is the bar staff, as is the case on Radiance), schmoozes like a host and helps iron out problems will get a higher tip than one who doesn't even acknowledge my presence when I walk into the lounge.

OP, whether or not the upgrade is worth it depends entirely on your finances. The extra space for three would be worth a fair amount to me. And when we travel with friends, we usually just get together at dinner, so not being able to share cocktail privileges with them wouldn't be a deciding factor for me.

We just returned from GS 1324 on the Explorer last week.

The room was very big, the balcony was huge, the room service was included free....even after midnight.

It included extra menus, exclusive to GS suites or higher that gave LOTS more options to order from the dining room....every day they were different. We were even able to order lobster! :D:D

It included special drink and wine menu, exclusive to GS or higher that allowed you to order drinks to be delivered to the room. I didn't see hard alcohol, but it had bottles of wine that could be ordered. (The drinks did cost, of course.)

It had the concierge lounge that offered free drinks from 5-8:30, every night.

We were able to request a bridge tour AND had our model ship signed by the Captain, because we were in a GS.

If you like to be alone with your partner and spend some time in your room, then this was a GREAT place to live on vacation:)!!

• 4 weeks later...

We were in a GS (1274) on Explorer 19-28 March and loved it. We booked again in a GS for Dec 2011 but 1274 was already reserved so we grabbed another GS in a good location. We absolutely loved the CL, and all the amenities. we also got a bridge tour (invited by the concierge) and made use of reserved seating in the ice show, theater and pool side at at least a couple of times. We also loved Barefoot Beach at Labadee. We think it's totally worth it and will have a hard time booking anything smaller (except maybe on a 5 day to Bermuda) in the future.

We had a GS before and wouldn't do it again unless the price was great. The concierge lounge was pretty cramped (it's small) for the free drinks so we didn't really use it. Other than the space, there was not much to justify the added expense imo.

We had a GS on Mariner just a few weeks ago (there were four of us, including two children). We booked it because of the extra space, which we LOVED.

However, we also enjoyed the extras. We used the reserved seating at the pool, as well as the ice rink and the Savoy (not every time). We enjoyed being able to eat breakfast and lunch in the Chops Grille rather than the Windjammer. We used the services of the Concierge, who booked a galley tour for us, and used the CL a number of times during the week for the free drinks, as well as borrowed DVDs and music for free. Our stateroom attendant was excellent. We also took advantage of the free pressing service for formal nights. The priority embarkation/disembarkation was really nice as well.

We were traveling with other family members who had the connecting balcony stateroom to our GS (just a regular balcony cabin), and having the connecting door open most of the time meant we felt like we had an even bigger suite.

Yes, our GS had a flat screen tv. Also, the CL is NOT crowded. We were able to sit down everytime we were in there which was every evening before dinner. And usually there were empty seats for at least part of the evening. Since they made changes to the D/D+ program, you have to be staying in a GS and above to use the CL.

Come on,....grand suite is an amazing cabin IF you can spring for the extra cost. Have you seen the bathroom in this cabin? It's all marble and granite, the double doorwalls make the room

so spacious and the bar area spectacular with the dimmer switches making it sooo romantic. And don't get me started on the doorbell! We hosted all the pre-dinner parties for our group, had plenty of beverages thanks to the various rum runners we packed. We don't cruise as often as others, but when we can add drama and ambience we do it. I dream of the Grand Suite....

I am with you Jam............/ The concierge lounge is OK.........but just OK........drinks are just ok too depending on "who" is the mixer............It gets quite crowded and your stuck in a hole with no windows etc. where I think the perk looses its ambiance. Hors d'oevres are just standard. We did use the CL but several nights we headed up to DIZZYS' , enjoyed a real cocktail, the music and the views. We were on the EOS and have had both a GS & OS on our cruises. If we were cruising with friends we would choose a JS so we could be with them without the issue of who can go to the different venues.

• 3 weeks later...
We were in a GS (1274) on Explorer 19-28 March and loved it. We booked again in a GS for Dec 2011 but 1274 was already reserved so we grabbed another GS in a good location. We absolutely loved the CL, and all the amenities. we also got a bridge tour (invited by the concierge) and made use of reserved seating in the ice show, theater and pool side at at least a couple of times. We also loved Barefoot Beach at Labadee. We think it's totally worth it and will have a hard time booking anything smaller (except maybe on a 5 day to Bermuda) in the future.

any problem with noise from above? thanks.

Yes, our GS had a flat screen tv. Also, the CL is NOT crowded. We were able to sit down everytime we were in there which was every evening before dinner. And usually there were empty seats for at least part of the evening. Since they made changes to the D/D+ program, you have to be staying in a GS and above to use the CL.

Diamond Plus members still have access to the Concierge lounge. I sailed on back to back cruises in February and was able to use the lounge nightly.

Ginnie

Enhanced Program for Suite Guests Staying in the following suites*:

Royal Suite, Royal Family Suite, Presidential Family Suite, Owner's Suite, Grand Suite

Oasis Class: Royal Loft Suite, Sky Loft Suite, AquaTheater Suite & Crown Loft Suite

*Excludes Junior Suites

Priority check-in

Personalized attention throughout the cruise with complimentary Concierge Club service on select ships

Reserved prime seating in the main theater for entertainment shows, where available

Priority tender tickets on select cruises. (Tender service is provided when smaller vessels are necessary to reach shore in locations without docking ports large enough for cruise ships.)

VIP pool deck seating, where available

Full breakfast, lunch and dinner dining room menus available for in-room dining

Private breakfast and lunch seating in specialty restaurants on our Voyager and Freedom Class ships

Mattel® board games available to order for in-room entertainment for the kids

Complimentary luggage valet service

Luxury spa bathrobes for use onboard

Complimentary pressing service on formal night

Priority departure with exclusive suite* departure lounge featuring continental breakfast

Archived