TOP 10 THINGS newbies forget to bring on their 1st Cruise...

cxxviii

Oh..and the watch...I bought one of those $10 "specials" they offer in the gift shop, put it on, congratulated myself on being such a thrifty shopper and within 3 hours it literally fell off my wrist as I was reading. Went back to the gift shop and the response..."yes, well it was a $10 watch"...but she did allow me to exchange it for a pashima shawl. I told my DH that I suspected that watch was going to go right back on the table for another thrifty shopper to buy!

That happened to us on our first cruise also. My DW forgot her watch and bought one of those $10 wpecials. It's lasted well and goes on every cruise with us now. ;)

Last year on the Spirit, I found I didn't like the shower gel. A bar of my Olay soap was $7 in Bermuda. This year I will definitely bring a bar of my favorite soap. Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise!

I'm ALL about comfort and convenience! Here's my list and WHY:

1. BIG travel mug and big reusable water bottle. The cups they give you are TINY and plastic. I like to hang out in my chair with a book and not have to get up every hour for a drink. I refill at the machines and enjoy my iced tea all afternoon. Plus, you can take water off the boat this way. If I had to choose one off the list, this would be it.

2. Power strip. No reason required.

3. Alarm clock if you need one.

4. Sanitizing wipes. Think of it, back to back cruises, back to back passengers in that tiny cabin. I wipe down phones, light switches, door handles, etc. I am NOT a clean freak, but I do not want to come down with something two days into my cruise.

5. Paper/pens. Post-its are fine. You just plain need them.

6. Cold meds, stomach meds, tums, etc. You never know.

7. Cash in small denominations. For obvious reasons.

8. Old underwear. My grandmother taught me this one. Wear your older undies in the beginning of vacation and then you can just throw them away! Smart, right? Who wants to unpack and wash week-old undies at the end of any vacation? Gross.

9. Snacks. There's literally tons of food on ship, but you'll eventually long for something from home, even if it's a chocolate bar. Everything on cruise ships is just a little bit different-- the hot dogs taste a little different, the pasta has a weird texture, etc. It's all very good, but you get the idea. It's comforting to have something from home a couple of times on the cruise.

10. Little sample packet of laundry detergent. Nothing worse than splashing sauce on a skirt you were going to rewear or having a swimsuit that is unaccountably smelly. It's always handy and you can leave it behind.

Happy travels! You're going to love cruising!

Hint for digital cameras: write or type your name and cell phone number and take a picture of it in case it is lost they (assuming they will be honest) have a way of contacting you. Do not put in address (in case they are dishonest).

Edited by cruiseat50

cruiseat50, I believe that is the Star Princess, a fire that happened a few years back. I was not on it at the time, but we cruised last year on the Star Princess and before the cruise I did some research over the internet regarding this ship. I came across these photos I believe on Webshots.

cruiseat50, I believe that is the Star Princess, a fire that happened a few years back. I was not on it at the time, but we cruised last year on the Star Princess and before the cruise I did some research over the internet regarding this ship. I came across these photos I believe on Webshots.

Did it indicate the cause of the fire?

PS: I forgot. Not just on cruises, but on an vacation....shout stain remover to pre-treat clothes. a week or two w/o washing is a long time for stains to set in. I have "saved" many of my kids outfits with this.

they don't want to you to bring curling irons either.

I've always brought along a curling iron. I've even left it out on the bathroom vanity. No one has ever said a word to me about it. EEEEK! I can't imagine not having my easy-bake-hair curling iron :D

joie

We spent four Christmas vacations at Sea. We brought a small set of multicolored lights. We would string them around the room and turn them on while we were in the room. It creates a delightful ambiance, so we have continued the practice.

We bring a solid room fragrance (from Bed, Bath and Beyond).

Lanyards to wear your room keycard around your neck (think clothes with no pockets). Take card to purser's desk to get a whole punched in card.

Different colored Hi-lighter pens to mark activities on the daily sheets.

Hooks with a clothes pin clip on it - to hang up wet swim suits.

An electrical extension cord and cube tap or multi-strip. There are never enough outlets where you need/want them.

A little pack of "Thank You" notes. Just great for extra $$ for the room stewards/Butler/Concierge. And, yes, a pen.

You don't have to bring laundry detergent; a bit of liquid soap/shampoo from the cabin's bathroom works just fine.

Downy Wrinkle Remover. Spray, smooth, and hang the clothing in the bathroom while you bathe.

joie

And, oh, yeah. HAVE A FUN CRUISE!! :D

One thing I had never thought of and after reading through most of these posts have not seen it yet (but I may have missed, so if I did, sorry!) The item to bring...something for cold sores! Had a cold sore appear last cruise and had to pay $$$$$ to get some on the ship. This is different then chap stick. Abreva or some other brand whatever one prefers.

An alarm Clock!! OMG- thank you for the reminder! Nothing worse than waking up in an inside state room with no clock! I don't know if I laid down for a nap or it's the middle of the night!

Even if you have an outside room, this is huge. with the curtains closed you'll have no idea what time it is. was the one thing i wish i brought with us last week.

My Dw loves it when I Light the candle,(Turn the switch),as we get a lil bit romantic.:p

I bought mine at Bed Bath & beyond.

They sell this at Target and Walmart too. Tealight size usually comes in multi-packs. Even works good if you lose your power at the house! May not be more light than a nightlight, but much safer if you have kids or animals.