Baltics for first time cruisers?

Would anyone recommend it?

I am in charge of finding a cruise for me, my dh and two friends for the boys 30th birthdays. They boys like the look of the Baltics however its our friends first ever cruise.

Ideally we are looking to leave from the UK so its going to be a 12 night cruise. Not sure if its too long for first timers.

It depends on what you and they are interested in. The Baltics is an absolutely amazing region. It was my dream cruise for many years and I still can't believe we actually were able to do it last summer. We are very well traveled, though, and knew pretty much what to expect. You say that they are first time cruisers but have they traveled a little? a lot? hardly at all? Are you looking for a hedonistic, party all night fun-fest to celebrate the birthdays? If so, Baltics may not be the best choice. Are you interested in history, art and architecture? Is so Baltics would be a big hit. 12 days is probably not going to be the problem -it is a question of what you are hoping to do during the days. Post again with a bit more information and we can probably help you decide.

p.s. Happy Birthday to them both. I never turned 30. I hit 29 and have just stayed there for years and years... :D

It depends on what you and they are interested in. The Baltics is an absolutely amazing region. It was my dream cruise for many years and I still can't believe we actually were able to do it last summer. We are very well traveled, though, and knew pretty much what to expect. You say that they are first time cruisers but have they traveled a little? a lot? hardly at all? Are you looking for a hedonistic, party all night fun-fest to celebrate the birthdays? If so, Baltics may not be the best choice. Are you interested in history, art and architecture? Is so Baltics would be a big hit. 12 days is probably not going to be the problem -it is a question of what you are hoping to do during the days. Post again with a bit more information and we can probably help you decide.

This above post sums up many of my opinion very, very well. Agree 100% that you could and probably would love the Baltics for a summer cruise. We've only done two cruise. Our second was in the Baltics for eleven days. We sailed from Dover and it worked out perfectly. There's lots to see, do and enjoy. There's a nice mix of port stops and St. Petersburg is totally magic!!! Agree that the Baltics are not a hip, party place. BUT, if you like great history, charming architecture, waterfront developments, nice people (on land and on the ship), the Baltics attract a good crowd. What are you most seeking and needing on this first cruise? Below are some visual samples from my pictures for what we saw in 2008. Is a picture worth a thousand words????

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Fountains and water from the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard involves this large band with their unique helmets:

9-StockholmMil.jpg

At the Vasa Museum with this large salvaged ship from the 1600’s:

1C-Stockh-V.jpg

Copenhagen’s “New” Harbor that is actually old and charming with lots of outdoor dining options and nearby shopping:

Boat.jpg

Copenhagen's canal views and going under a bridge:

1A-Copenh-CanalViews.jpg

Shopping is great in Tallinn. Inside a nice linen shop:

1A-TallinShopkeeperLinens.jpg

Like some of my knowledgeable posters friends have already said, the Baltics ARE terrific. We ARE seasoned cruisers, having done about 10now. We did the Baltics last year, and ET is absolutely correct, if you start with a 12 day crusie, you WILL be spoiled for anything else. Most cruises are 7 days, and not to put you off the Baltics, but that might be a good way to begin. My wife kids now, after 12 days on the Jewel, that for a little 7 day crusie, maybe we shouldn't even unpack, before you knowm it we'll be packing again.

Also, as my fellow posters ahve said, the Baltics are NOT a hip thing. Don't get me wrong, just thinking back that we really have been to places like Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki and the Russia, just makes my mind spin, but except for St Petersburg, you are back on the ship by 6PM most ports, so there isn't much partying in port. These cruises tend to be a bit more 'senior' in age also. Again, there were plenty of families when we went, but as it is a longer crusie, and more expensive than shorter ones, it doesn't attract families as much as maybe the Caribbean might.

If you like history, famous churches, museums, buildings, and a great taste of European culture, go for it. If you want to party, I might try something else.

Terry has already shown you some great examples of what you might expect during your Baltic Cruise,. here are a few more examples of life in the Scandinavian ports

In Helsinki Finland, this is the famous Lutheran Church, as it dwarfs the treetops

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1122.jpg

In St Petersburg, you will visit Catherine's Palace, and enjoy the magnificent gardens

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster712.jpg

In Copenhagen harbor, there is the famous Little Mermaid statue for all to see and enjoy

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe212.jpg

Copenhagen does have Tivoli gardens for everyone to enjoy

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe316.jpg

The city of Tallin, in Estonia is just a remarkable place. With a old city behind a fortress like wall. Narrow streets to explore

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe508.jpg

And still there are just the magnificent fountains at Peterhofs, in St Petersburg

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe730.jpg

If you decide you will do the Baltics, just ask any questions that come to mind. Most of the ports are easy to do and see on your own, saving big bucks instead of doing the ships excursions. St Petersburg you MUST do some sort of tour to get off the ship with no visa. Most here, opted for private tours from some of the Russian tour agencies that we ahve all used for our stay there. Much better than anything you could hope to get off the ship.

Cheers

Len

Terry I don't post much, but boy do I love your pictures. We are going to the Baltics the end of May into June and can't wait. I just visualize how we will be picture taking like you did. Thanks for always sharing and I have seen many.

Kay

THANKS, Kay, for the kind comments on the various pictures! YES, as Len noted and has shared, also, it's all true and wonderful. These are not "trick pictures". It's the real thing! We were fortunate with nice weather and a chance to see so many different and interesting places. Here are a few more visuals from St. Petersburg that I have not previously posted, plus a couple of others. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Inside the Hermitage, this is the spectacular ceiling over the Grand Staircase you enter this Winter Palace for the Czars that is now one of the world’s top museums. Also below is a carved marble statue in its collection and the doors are you enter a large reception where the Royal leaders granted audiences:

HermitCeiling.jpg

HermMarbleStat.jpg

HermitageHallEnt.jpg

As we entered Catherine's Palace, this is the detail for the Royal family “double eagle” at the top of this large summer residence :

CathPalDoubleEagle.jpg

A more detailed look at St. Isaac's ceilings and interior dome:

1A-StP-StIsaac2Int.jpg

More beautiful church towers and buildings in St. Petersburg:

1A-StP-Ch.jpg

Wow Terry we can't wait. As of today we have 80 days until we cruise and I have been counting down for over a year. Do you think this means a lot?? You bet and you have helped with all those pictures to just stir us up. Thanks again for those of St. Petersburg. We were fortunate to find two other couples to tour St. Petersburg with us and we have become great email friends so I encourage all of you do "hook" up with others to keep your cost down.

Terry I don't post much, but boy do I love your pictures. We are going to the Baltics the end of May into June and can't wait. I just visualize how we will be picture taking like you did. Thanks for always sharing and I have seen many.

Kay

I so agree with you Kay - I love the pictures & info both Terry & Len share. Even if Len is a Giants fan ;) (I am a diehard Bills fan)

Len and Terry - I've been checking out lots of threads in preparation for our Baltics cruise and have found your pics on at least 3 of them. Not only are they wonderful photos - but there have been very few duplicates!

Thank you for the photos and all the information and insight you so willingly share!

I keep sending my daughter the links to the threads so she can check out the photos :) too!

Melanie

I so agree with you Kay - I love the pictures & info both Terry & Len share. Even if Len is a Giants fan ;) (I am a diehard Bills fan)

THANKS for the above kind comments from hansolosmom and the nice words from Melanie/PookyCat! Appreciate it. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

It sounds like you have not decided on a cruise line yet, so, just a heads up ... I would avoid NCL for the Baltics because of their insistence on bypassing the beautiful Stockholm archipelago. NCL is calling at Nynashamn instead of Stockholm proper.

Al

It sounds like you have not decided on a cruise line yet, so, just a heads up ... I would avoid NCL for the Baltics because of their insistence on bypassing the beautiful Stockholm archipelago. NCL is calling at Nynashamn instead of Stockholm proper. Al

We have not done NCL, but agree 100% that the port of Nynashamn is a "pain" with the lost time and inconvenience. Sailing up the Stockholm archipelago is very nice and being docked IN THE CITY is much, much better.

"Would anyone recommend it?

I am in charge of finding a cruise for me, my dh and two friends for the boys 30th birthdays. They boys like the look of the Baltics however its our friends first ever cruise.

Ideally we are looking to leave from the UK so its going to be a 12 night cruise. Not sure if its too long for first timers. "

I don't think you will find anyone who will tell you that the Baltic cruise is anything but a fantastic voyage. However, if you are a first time cruiser, you need to be prepared for the early port calls, the pace of excursions in every port, which are never enough and you want more, and that you won't enjoy the ship to the full extent, unless you cut back on port time. If you choose private excursions, you get to see even more!

We met someone on a med cruise last year who was a first time cruiser. She could not keep up the pace of each port, the adjustment to time changes (not as bad for a UK traveler), and the lack of time "to shop".

We also went on the cruise expecting early to bed, early to rise, and knew we would not see every show and hit every bar on the ship. We would go again in a heartbeat.

So, set expectations that are realistic, and have a terrific time!

I don't think you will find anyone who will tell you that the Baltic cruise is anything but a fantastic voyage. However, if you are a first time cruiser, you need to be prepared for the early port calls, the pace of excursions in every port, which are never enough and you want more, and that you won't enjoy the ship to the full extent, unless you cut back on port time. If you choose private excursions, you get to see even more! We met someone on a med cruise last year who was a first time cruiser. She could not keep up the pace of each port, the adjustment to time changes (not as bad for a UK traveler), and the lack of time "to shop". We also went on the cruise expecting early to bed, early to rise, and knew we would not see every show and hit every bar on the ship. We would go again in a heartbeat. So, set expectations that are realistic, and have a terrific time!

Super excellent points on the time zone changes as you move from London time to St. Petersburg, etc. There's a three hour time zone difference between London and main Russia. There is lots to see and do, BOTH in the ports and on the ship. If you just want to "chill out" and do little or nothing, the Baltics might not be for you. Personally, I would rather have all of these great options and opportunities.

Wow I never expected such detailed responses! Thank you so much.

The four of us are not really into parties. We wanted to go places with totally different cultures to our own and to also go somewhere none of us have been before. A Baltics cruise seems to tick the boxes for that.

Do the ships dock in the city centres? One of our party has some health issues so ideally we don't want to be too far from the ship. With the number of sea days I think she will be able to rest up in order to enjoy the ports fully.

I am still waiting for all the cruiselines to release their 2011 dates so we can pick the best itinerary and ship for our needs.

Len your pictures are fantastic also. I keep revisiting your photos and Terry's as I await our trip the end of May.

By the way hansolosmom may be a Bill's fan, but we are avid Redskin fans for the last 40 years. We have sort of been in the tubes in recent years so we have cheered on the Giants when the Skins are out of it!!!

The four of us are not really into parties. We wanted to go places with totally different cultures to our own and to also go somewhere none of us have been before. A Baltics cruise seems to tick the boxes for that.

Do the ships dock in the city centres? One of our party has some health issues so ideally we don't want to be too far from the ship. With the number of sea days I think she will be able to rest up in order to enjoy the ports fully.

I am still waiting for all the cruiselines to release their 2011 dates so we can pick the best itinerary and ship for our needs.

Lois,

Go for it if the itinerary and the length of the trip works for you.

My family is cruising with my brother's family of 4 and my mother who are all first time cruisers. My mother is on oxygen and we will also have 4 teen agers along. It is a vacation and you will have a blast. With all ten of us we took a poll of where, must-stops, time of year, temperature desired, price, and length of trip. After shopping around and considering all the "musts" the Baltic cruise fit the bill for all of us. We will be on a 10 night. Don't worry about the "first time" cruisers. You will be on vacation, and you will have a blast.

Len your pictures are fantastic also. I keep revisiting your photos and Terry's as I await our trip the end of May.

By the way hansolosmom may be a Bill's fan, but we are avid Redskin fans for the last 40 years. We have sort of been in the tubes in recent years so we have cheered on the Giants when the Skins are out of it!!!

Thanks again for the kind words on the pix.

Yes, the Skins haven't had much to cheer about for the past few years. Now that you ahve a good football coach, things should be changing.

I really respect you for rooting for the Giants when your time isn't at hand. We are usually mortal enemies, but hey, we are all against that really hated team that plays in Dallas. :):):):)

May will be here before you know it, and you will be here posting about all the great things you have seen and the wonderful places you were at. That will be a big help for those that are scheuled to travel later in the summer.

Cheers

Len

Wow I never expected such detailed responses! Thank you so much.

Lois

Not that we were in any way, telling you NOT to do a Baltic cruise, just we didn't know exactly what you were looking for.

Maybe, you being from England, makes some difference. Many of us, from the US, think it was like a dream come true to visit so many of these cities in Scandinavia that we have only read about. People from MY generation, (I'm 64) grew up always thinking the Russians were the enemy and who in hell would want to visit Russia. Well, the world changes, and I still remember thinking, as we were sailing into St Petersburg, that gosh, we are really in Russia today. Will wonders never cease.

If this is what you really want, go for it. Guaranteed you will come away with vibrant memories that will last a lifetime.

Cheers

Len

Are any months "better" for a Scandinavia/Russia 10+ day tour? Weather and crowds? Thanks.

Most of the summer months work well in the Baltics. It won't be hot there and could be cool in the mornings. Late May and early September are possible, but more risky. In late July and early August, we didn't have any crowd problems, plus super weather for our visit there.

Are any months "better" for a Scandinavia/Russia 10+ day tour? Weather and crowds?

Thanks.

As Terry has just explained, to get the best weather, you really should try for the summer months, late June, July and August. We were there mid to late August and you definitely could feel the autumn chill starting to take over. As like Terry, we were blessed with magnificent weather, and that helps, but get a day where it is rainy, and cool, and you will be searching for the sweaters and sweatshirts.

As for crowds, the Baltics are still not a big time cruise destination, like the Mediterranean, Caribbean, etc. So that tends to keep the massive crowds down. But, you must remember, that their tourist season, is fairly short so if people want to go there, they are there all about the same time frame.

But, like Terry, we didn't experience anything that was really 'crowded', but you won't have the place to yourself.

Towns like Tallin, which is a small city compared to some of the other ports, if there are two ships there on the same day, it will seem crowded, but please do not let that deter you from going.

Cheers

Len

Here is a pic of my son on a canal cruise while in St. Petersburg. Also a picture of the kids with some of the crew and at Tivoli and London. Can't say enough good things about this trip to the Baltics.

5972_102384433105234_100000010331504_70068_1978921_n.jpg.777466ef4ec069b7e1f9b779f1043e78.jpg

Tivoli.jpg.f0fa0497b45d0d09c785444b5e91b4b4.jpg

London.jpg.7bbe3775900657bf9eacb7a8ec4bddee.jpg

Officers.jpg.52c2274a62708b888874397d89ff4723.jpg

Archived