Just off the C0NQUEST 1/23/05

LSUtraveler

Just a quick comment about debarking.

It was a mess getting off today. Some because of the cold and passengers trying to get out and some because of people trying to get checked in.

At 11:00 there was still a lot of people trying to get to their cars and people trying to unload their baggage and check in. Baggage handlers were having to ask people to get out of the way so they could unload suitcases.

We were one of the last ones to get off the ship and were able to get to the bus going to the Fulton Garage fairly quickly since it was right outside the door and we were last to get on.

But you could see a lot of pushing and shoving going in and out. If people would wait until around 12:00 to start getting in, it would be much easier for everyone.

Getting on board last Sunday we got there around 2:00, dropped off our luggage and passengers, went to the Fulton Garage, parked, got on the shuttle back to the terminal, checked in and were on board by 2:35.

Just a thought for those going on the Conquest. Later I will post some pictures of the traffic problem so everyone can see the problem.

Great cruise despite rough seas for the first two days. Carnival said a stablizer was broke. More later. Questions, just ask but most of info on the Conquest has been posted before.

Ron, we were on Conquest 1/2 to 1/9 and the seas the 1st 2 days were the same, I didnt think it was bad at all, after all it is an Ocean going ship, but those that inquired were told it is just the nature of the seas in the Gulf this time of year, the currents etc which seems conceivable to me being that it is Winter after all, even if it is warmer than our homes...Many of the reviews and comments I have read have said the same thing about the 1st 2 days, must be the route they take going to Jamaica and the spedd of the ship since the last day at sea wasnt as bumpy

Mike, I found a little odd that the ship was rocking like it was with seas only 4-7 feet. It didn't bother me (slept like a log) but there were some that got sick.

We sailed twice before in the first week of Feb and it wasn't near about as rough riding but then the water was smooth with no wind.

But it really wasn't that bad. Some of the crew said that it was a lot rougher the weeks before with things sliding off of the tables.

Hey Dan, started to read the story and fell asleep last night. will read it later this PM.

Hey Ron:

Really enjoyed meeting you and everyone else from the bb's while on board. Despite the weather Kelly and I had a great time and can't wait to sail again!

Glad you got home alright and at least one PA team won Sunday. Go Birds!!!

Gotta report on several things that seemed to be major issues on the board.

Cell phones: They never were a problem. Saw several with them but never heard one ring. Of course they were only used in the ports.

Walkie Talkies: Again saw lots of them on board but never once heard one go off. We had them also and never noticed them to be a problem with going off constantly.

Kids: There were lots of kids in the hot tubs on the Lido deck, both the under the slide and by the big pool. Don't know if they were a problem but they didn't have many adults in them at any one time. The two hot tubs aft had mostly adults in them most of the time. Don't know if anyone ever complained.

Kids:Never had one incident of misbehavior from any of the kids on board. Kids ranged from a baby in arms to 17-18 year olds. Didn't see any drunks either.

On the issues above none of them were out of line, in fact as far as misbehaving or annoying things, there just wasn't any. Everyone seemed to be having a good time. So I guess the "big complaint" issues were more isolated than the norm.

If I had any issues it's not taking good pictures. Surely I take better pictures than I saw. Must be the photographer!:p

Oh and never saw a problem with hogging deck chairs.

Coffee was bad sometimes. Whew! Sometimes it was good. Never could figure it out.

I didn't care much for the two Vegas type shows. Mostly because they were too loud and I just couldn't get into them. The dancers gave everything they had and were really high energy but something was missing or maybe it was just me.

Magic show was nice and the Newlywed Not So Newlywed Game was great along with some portions of the talent show. Didn't go to the late nite shows but most said it was pretty good.

Food in dining room was good. No problems with any of it cept I ate too much. Cezanne was good also. Only one day I didn't care for the food but again it was just something they offered that I didn't care for. Grills on both sides were good. Ice cream, well they lost money on me. Pizza was as good as we find anywhere around.

We brought our own liquor on board thru check in and it arrived without problems. Bar bill was cut by half.

Crew was excellent. Walter & Paula were our dining room people and they were great. Watch out for Ming in the dining room. He's funny and crazy. You'll be lucky if you get him. His nickname is Ming Boudreaux!

Room service good also. Ken was our steward and he was also great, room always in great shape when he took care of it. We tried to keep it messed up and he kept it straight.

Met some of the CC folks, Steve and Kel, Monana and John and Yen-Chu. Really, really great folks all of them. Monana's husband is the one that brought 5 1/2 cases of beer on board last time. Had to shake his hand.

Steve & kel from PA were something else. Gotta keep an eye on Steve. There's a wild man inside trying to get loose.:D

John & Yen-chu were really nice folks. They got involved with the Newlywed Not So Newlywed game. Yen-Chu is a riot!

More later on the ports. But generally we just go out to have fun, relax and lez bon ton rouller!

Thanks for the tip. We sail on the Conquest on the 30th. We're trying to decide what to do because you still can't book your excursions on line so we wanted to get on the boat early. Also, we request early seating (because of our 2 1/2 yr old) but I know from past experience that we may not get it. So, I want to get on early and see the Maitre'd if needed. However, if it's gonna take forever we may as well hang out at our B&B in the Garden District to about Noon or so.

familymoon, you might get lucky and get on early without any hassel but is it really worth it for saving a few hours.

Did you try booking the excursions directly with the operators or are you trying to book thru Carnival. We book directly but most of the time we book when we get off the ship.

Are you parking in one of the lots or are you getting a shuttle and leaving your car in the GD?

Hey, We were trying to book online, but thanks to someone's very observant observation to another post, you can't book online unless your cruise is on or after 2/16! My husband obviously failed to read the fine print. :)

We are flying in from DC, so we'll be taking a cab in from our B&B in the garden district. We had the hardest time finding a hotel for this weekend! Apparently the Auto Dealers are having their annual convention in NO and the group is 40,000 strong! So, we opted to stay in a little B&B someone refered us to.

Just a quick comment about debarking.

It was a mess getting off today. Some because of the cold and passengers trying to get out and some because of people trying to get checked in.

At 11:00 there was still a lot of people trying to get to their cars and people trying to unload their baggage and check in. Baggage handlers were having to ask people to get out of the way so they could unload suitcases.

We were one of the last ones to get off the ship and were able to get to the bus going to the Fulton Garage fairly quickly since it was right outside the door and we were last to get on.

But you could see a lot of pushing and shoving going in and out. If people would wait until around 12:00 to start getting in, it would be much easier for everyone.

Getting on board last Sunday we got there around 2:00, dropped off our luggage and passengers, went to the Fulton Garage, parked, got on the shuttle back to the terminal, checked in and were on board by 2:35.

Just a thought for those going on the Conquest. Later I will post some pictures of the traffic problem so everyone can see the problem.

Great cruise despite rough seas for the first two days. Carnival said a stablizer was broke. More later. Questions, just ask but most of info on the Conquest has been posted before.

Can you tell me when something goes wrong, like the stablizer, do they fix it before they ship out again? Also, how did that guy sneak all that beer on board & how did he keep it cold?

Archived