Transportation Airport to Cruise Terminal in Papeete

tbtest

The main thing for us is checking in our luggage which should be around 10:30 AM and boarding around noon. We have four people and our luggage. I will check into the rental possibility.

Thanks

Maybe you could do a day rate at a hotel? Stay until mid-aft.

Which ship are you on? The normal boarding times for the ships is usually around 3 pm.

Ocean Princess. They always tell you later, but they start earlier. The ship transfer from the airport is scheduled to leave at 11 AM, so boarding should be around noon. We are not so much concerned about boarding the ship just getting hid of our checked luggage, so we can walk around town.

Thanks.

I would rent a car at the airport for 12 hours. You then have the car to run around town, shop, hold your bags until checkin and still have the car for the afternoon to go visit a museum or something. Then drop off the car 2 blocks from the ship around 5:30 pm.

Ocean Princess. They always tell you later, but they start earlier. The ship transfer from the airport is scheduled to leave at 11 AM, so boarding should be around noon. We are not so much concerned about boarding the ship just getting hid of our checked luggage, so we can walk around town.

Thanks.

Why not get a cab to an airport near the airport and then have a long slow breakfast?

I would rent a car at the airport for 12 hours. You then have the car to run around town, shop, hold your bags until checkin and still have the car for the afternoon to go visit a museum or something. Then drop off the car 2 blocks from the ship around 5:30 pm.

Thanks again for the suggestion. The Hertz with a drop off at the port looks interested. I have four people and all the luggage, so I do not know if this would work for us. The had some vans, but they did not include seating for four. Do you know if any of the other companies offer port drop offs?

Why not get a cab to an airport near the airport and then have a long slow breakfast?

We maybe doing something along those lines. Worst case is the one person can stay with the luggage while everyone else shops.

There are only a few nice ones and they will charge about $37 bucks for breakfast per head, you might as well rent the car and go find a cheap cafe, it pays for the car. Breakfast at at cafe by the alrge Market would only be around $12 bucks each.

Hertz is the only one I know that will do that as they have a office 2 blocks from the ship.

There should be enough room for 4 people with 4 large bags and a few carry ons in a mid size car.

After sunset the taxi rates are double. Airport to Marina for 2 people will be $35 - $40 USD, they do take USD.

The rate for Le Truck/Bus is 2 bucks per person. The pickup is across the street from the airport and just a bit to the right. After dark it runs every 30 minutes. Tell the driver you want off closest to the ferry terminal, about a 1 block walk from where you will be left off. BTW, the route is #7

I don't recall, it's been awhile since I've taken the Bus.

Hint: When you come out of customs go to your right. You will come to a cafe. Buy something .......... pay with USD but ask for the change in XPF, make sure you have at least 600 XPF in change. Then go to the bus stop across the street.

Thank you Tikiintahiti. One last question, does Le Truck/Bus accept US$$.

Thanks again,

Doug

No more Le Truck on Tahiti. Only public buses now that don’t run often and are crowded. Last year waited half an hour for a bus outside our hotel and had two pass us by in the next fifteen minutes before just getting a cab. Don’t even think of taking the bus with more then one small carry on.

Hi there, when you said you arrived late, doe this mean in the evening? We'll be arriving Papeete around 9:00 p.m. and our ship (MARINA) leaves at 11:00 p.m. They charge an arm and a leg for pre-cruise transfer. Would we have time to change some money, find a cab for that 10-minute ride? Thanks for your help.

If you are on the Marina on April 7 we will be right there with you.

I am looking into reserving a cab--just in case, but am hoping that we will find one at the airport without doing that--We don't generally check luggage, so I think we will clear customs fast, but I have never been on a charter with everyone headed for the same boat, so I don't know what to expect.

• 5 weeks later...
...Seriously though, far more people use the Euro than the U.S...
Actually not far more. Approximately 335 Million people live in countries that have the Euro as their sole official currency [that includes countries such as Montenegro and Kosovo who have no connection to the European Monetary Union, but whose only currency is the Euro]. Approximately 332 Million people have only the US dollar as their only currency [this includes Panama and Ecuador whose only currency is the US dollar, but does not count countries such as Bahamas and Bermuda that are effectively on the US dollar, but nominally print a little of their own currency operating at par to the US dollar].

Thom

I stand corrected.

As an illustration of the folly of trying to use anything but the local currency or a credit card, we were at Bloody Mary's in Bora Bora a week or so ago. A woman was buying three hats and it came to just over $60 worth of pacific francs. She didn't want to use the francs or her credit card and chose to pay in US cash, which cost her $75US. The cashier advised her it was the least favorable way to pay, even. I don't understand the impulse that prompts that behavior but for those who prefer to pay more, go ahead. As I have said, many accept US dollars but the presumption that they are accepted at par is lazy.

I rather think that in many cases we don't have all the pieces of the puzzle.

Maybe her cc was full, maybe the cc charged a % ........ who knows

Maybe she wanted to save her XPF for the airport or paying for a tour that only accepts XPF ............... who knows

Maybe she had $100's of dollars and wanted to unload some so she didn't need to worry about it ........... who knows

• 11 months later...

We will be going on the Marina on April 19, 2014. We arrive at the airport that morning at 5:30 am from LAX, having booked our own flight on Air Tahiti Nui. After taking a taxi to the city, does anyone know when we would be able to drop off our luggage at the port, and then explore Papeete (or take a quick tour). The ship sails at 11 pm, and I understand we can't board until 3 pm. Is the ship right near the waterfront shopping area listed on the map???

We arrived at around 6 a.m. on 12/29, sailed through customs, retrieved our luggage, and fiddled with the ATM to get about $175 worth of polynesian francs before walking outside to a line of waiting taxis. It cost 2300 xpf, about $25-30 to get to the Princess pier. Porters were there to accept our luggage, after which we strolled across the street to Le Marche. On Sundays, they have a farmers market which was busy with locals shopping for fresh produce and many varieties of fish. You can walk the downtown streets to see the town hall, the cathedral, and the store fronts. Most are not open on Sunday, but it was still interesting to see.

The local folks set up produce tables on the sidewalks outside of the market, and the Marche lower floor is open with flowers, produce and fish as well as vendors selling baked goods, coconut drinks, and cooked meats. The upper floors were closed on Sunday.

• 6 months later...
I was wondering if anyone knew how far the Intercontinental Hptel is from the Manaeva Hotel? Would we need a taxi and if so approx. what would that cost?

Thanks

Keep in mind taxi's are expensive there and charge more during certain hours at night. At least that was the case when I was there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by snowbird1