Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

steveand kel

Conquest Review - January 16

Carnival Conquest Jan 16-23

I’ll try to keep this a brief as possible, but there are a lot of things to comment on. I’ll give my overall opinion now to save everyone the trouble of reading the whole review. If you want details, read on.

We had a great time! The weather was not ideal. It was too cold and windy at sea the first 2 days, but we can not control the weather!!! We will not cruise the western Caribbean again during the winter for this reason. On a related note, the wind was blowing very strong during all 3 sea days and the ship had a lot of movement the first two days. We were told later in the cruise that the stabilizers were not operating until after we left Jamiaca. Service in the dining room was superb. Our Cabin steward did a great job also. Ports were very nice, although we did not care for Jamaica. Didn’t hate it, but it was our least favorite of the 3. Cozumel was our fav by far! The ship was clean and well kept. The rest of the staff was wonderful. This was our second cruise with Steve Cassel as our CD (Victory in Feb of 2003). He does a great job, but he’s alittle over the top at times.

Embarkation: The area around the pier is a mess! We stayed at the Hyatt and caught a cab to the pier around 10:30am. We made great time till we entered the pier area. Here we got lucky. We were one of the first cabs in line and we were told by the police/security officers to go around all the traffic right up to the drop off area. When we got there it was a mob of people. I guess they needed to get cabs there to get the people that were getting off the ship. We dropped our luggage with a porter, watched him take our bags to the pier and caught the trolley to the French quarter. Spent the rest of the day in the quarter and took the trolley back to the pier arriving at 3:30pm. There were no lines and we were on board by 4pm.

Sea Days: A little too chilly to hit the pool early in the morning, but warmed up a bit in the afternoon. Spent the afternoon on deck and met with everyone from Cruise Critic at 3pm on Monday. I must say that we learned so much on the boards and it was a great to meet everyone on board. It’s amazing how we kept running into you guys everywhere we went! Everyone was great. Hope everyone made it home safely and maybe we’ll run into you guys again sometime.

Jamaica: Spent the day at Sunset Beach. Not the prettiest beach, but had fun. $20pp to get in and food and drinks were included. We felt it was well worth the money. We shopped a bit in the afternoon. Were very disappointed in the shopping downtown, not a great selection of stores, but we picked up a few things in the shops at the pier.

Grand Cayman: We spent the morning shopping and went to 7 mile beach in the afternoon. Shopping here was very good, a bit expensive on some items though. We got a taxi and had him drop us at the Hyatt on 7 mile beach. It was a beautiful beach. Took a long walk and just relaxed.

Cozumel: By far our fav port of the cruise. We have always enjoyed St Marteen and Aruba and Cozumel comes close. We rented a jeep from Alamo right at the pier. Bargin with them because there are about 5 companies right there. We paid $35 for the jeep and $25 for all the insurance. It came out to alittle under $70 including the tax. We drove the entire island and had a ball. Stop at all the bars on the east side of the island. Coconuts was the best! There are a lot of beaches on this side of the island. Some have trash on them, but for the most part they are pretty clean. The best beach we found was about a mile south of Coconuts. You could walk out about 50 feet in knee deep water to a sandbar that was only under about 6 inches of water. Very pretty up and down the coast. Be careful if you drive into town. The main street along the water is under construction and the detour is pretty round a bout.

Debarkation: We had an early flight so we got VIP debarkation by showing our airline tickets at the purser’s desk on Saturday. We were leaving the ship at 8:20 and on the bus by 8:45. Had no trouble getting to the airport in time for our 11:40 flight back to Pittsbugh.

That’s all for now. I’ll write a follow up later that can cover the food, entertainment, staff etc. Feel free to email with any questions.

Glad you guys made it back. It was a pleasure meeting you and kel. Sorry about the Steelers!

However you failed to mention your streaking at one of your ports. I think the whole ship knows about you now. (We made sure.):p

Thanks for the review. We leave in 3 weeks and wonder about the weather. I know you said it was cold on sea days, but what was it like at the ports...was it warm enough to snorkel and enjoy the beach?

What would you say the air temperature was onboard the ship during sea days?

Boy Ron, you really started trouble now. Being the shy, quiet kinda guy I am, I was gonna try to keep that low key...lmao!

Stay tuned for part 2 of my review and maybe I'll tell the story! Just so everyone knows, it was not on the ship but on what I thought was a quiet road and beach on the east side of Cozumel!

Yeah Steve, when I post the pictures on my webshots we'll let everyone make their own judgment. And the picture is the one just after your streak!:D

And remember I heard the whole story including the drive by!:eek:

ajones...On the ship, I would guess that the air temp on Monday and Tuesday was around 70 and on saturday it was about 75. The wind was really blowing the first 2 days, but not too bad on the last day, until we got within about 100 miles of the coast.

In port:

Jamaica-75 and cloudy in the morning

Grand Cayman-80 and partly cloudy

Cozumel-low 80's and sunny

We did not go in the water until we got to Cozumel. It wasn't that the water was to cold, it was that the breeze was pretty strong and when the sun was behind a cloud it was pretty chilly!

Hope this helps and have a great time!

Thanks for your reveiw. We leave this sunday. Not surprised about the weather. Good idea about the jeep. We were wondering about Cozumel. Been there many times and a little tired of downtown anyway.

Let's have the streaking story.

Carnival Conquest January 16 part 2

Ship: We have sailed the Destiny and Victory and did not find much difference in the layout of this ship. We were in cabin 1047 and loved our balcony. The room was very high and you could feel the movement of the ship more than on the lower decks. The convenience of being able to walk almost right out onto the deck was wonderful. Kel did not care for the décor of the ship. I was pretty much indifferent. She didn’t like the art work (murals) in the atrium and especially didn’t care for the walls in some of the bars. Again, I really didn’t notice, guess ‘cause I’m a guy!

It seemed as if the crew was always working to keep up the appearance of the ship. We didn’t notice any major problems outside of the usual wear and tear. We really got a kick out of the crew scrubbing the side of the ship in Cozumel with, I swear, a brush no bigger than a toilet brush.

Crew: Always friendly and did a great job overall. Our waiter Zoltan, was fabulous, it’s too bad he became ill and was quarantined the last 3 evenings. Hope we don’t get sick too!!! The rest of the team did a good job, considering they seemed to be short handed. Our cabin steward, Isabella, did a wonderful job. We did our best to keep the room messy and she did an even better job keeping it neat. One thing though, do they all turn the a/c to the coldest setting? I mean its 60 degrees outside and they have the a/c running like there’s no tomorrow! (it’s been like that on every cruise we’ve taken)

Staff: did a good job keeping everyone informed of the daily activities. When did they add a super shopper??? Ours was Clayton. The CD was Steve Cassel. Here I’m not sure what to say or how to say it so I’ll just blurt it out…I don’t care for the guy. He was the CD on the Victory when we cruised in Feb of ’03 and he is using the same bits today that he used then. He’s just too damn happy for me. Enough said on this topic.

Entertainment: we really enjoyed both Vegas style shows. The second one, Point and Click was a little quirky. I can’t imagine dancing in some of the costumes they were wearing while the ship was rocking the second night. We enjoyed Phat Cat. We missed the family show, but caught his R rated show. I read somewhere on this board that some were offended by some of his humor. We were not, but some of it is more like x rated not r rated. Overall, the entertainment was well above average.

Food: Enjoyed our meals in the Renoir dining room. We were late seating (8:30), Table 116. That is too late for me. It’s tough to keep my boyish figure when I’m eating my second desert at 10pm! And remember that’s after at least 2 entrée’s. Lmao. Service was great. Food quality was great and everything was served hot. We ate breakfast on the lido deck each morning. This is where my biggest complaint comes into play. I could not find scrambled eggs that were fully cooked! They looked more like soup than eggs. Someone’s gotta tell the cooks that eggs are not supposed to be able to swim. Omelets did cure this problem, but sometimes the wait was pretty long for them. We ate pizza a few times for lunch, also had sandwiches at the deli and burgers at the grill. All were fine. Really enjoyed the fish and chips at Sur Mer. Kelly feels that the lunch buffet was a little lacking in the salad department, not a really big selection of toppings and not enough low fat dressings for her taste. How is she to keep her figure when the dressings are Thousand Islands, Creamy Ranch and French. How much low fat Italian can one eat.

Well that’s it. If anyone wants more info, feel free to email us, smz4psu@yahoo.com.

Steveand kel...........great review.......these message boards are the best! We're on the Conquest 03/06/05 with the kids! Can't wait. Thanks for the pictures LSUTraveler......very good!!! And I have to go along with sea u onboard.....where's the "streakin'" pictures???

Did any of you happen to meet my parents? Steve, you might as well give us the story because I'm going to ask mom about it tomorrow night. Even if you didn't meet her, the woman somehow knows EVERYTHING. I'm sure she would have heard a story about streaking! If she didn't, my pop probably did. Those 2 really get around! They were on the opposite side of the deck you were on-room 11something.

Too bad the weather was so cold. It has 6 weeks to warm up down there-candgirl and I are ready to sail in 41 days!

Well I guess its time to set the record straight. LSUtraveller (Ron) has started a rumor that I was streaking while on our cruise. :eek: Although I have been known to do some crazy things, and I'm not denying that I never streaked, but I did not streak on board or in port!!! What I did do was change my clothes on what I thought was a quiet and not well travelled road on Cozumel. Needless to say, I was discovered by two young ladies driving by in their red jeep. By the honk of the horn and the hoots and hollers, I would say that they caught me completely off gaurd and completely bare!!!:D . When I realized what was happening I gave them my best little dance and I'm sure they saw EVERYTHING! They drove off and gave me a few honks of the horn and I got my swim trunks on ASAP. Not more than 10 seconds later another vehicle drove by and this one said Polica on the side. I hate to think what would have happened if they had been the first to drive by.

So to the young ladies that caught a glimpse of everything I've got, I hope you liked what you saw, if not I hope what you saw doesn't make you ill or have nightmares.;) And if you took a picture, please be discret and blur my face before you post it on the internet. lmao.

And to Ron, I owe you one!

Take care all.

Kelly wants me to ask what others thought of the big blue rocking chairs on the lido deck. We found them to be a royal pain in the butt. They were in the way, blocked what little sun was to be had on the sea days and are just plain ugly.

Anyone have an idea why Carnival has added them and if so, why so many? Thanks.

Steve and Kel I'm from Pgh as well. I didn't know they you are actually able to make it to flights that early. I always thought I needed something around 1:00ish.. I'm still searching for airfare but with Nov being so far I'll just wait.

I can't believe you don't care for Steve/CD. We had him on Victory as well when we sailed in 4/03 and I loved him. I thought he was a riot with all his funy faces and all. Glad you enjoyed your trip. After sailing the Victory I was thinking about going on the Triumph but I opted for a newer boat thinking the layout would be different but I see it's really not. Oh Well too late now Valor here I come in Nov..I also seen those blue chairs in the brochures and wondered what they were for. I hear that on the newer boats there are more lounge chairs because I remeber on Victory we had to fight for them. I have also heard that the pools are smaller. Glad you enjoed your vacation nude and all...:p

Mrs DeeDee...previously we booked airfare thru Carnival, but our TA was able to get us round trip tix for under $200 each. We checked with Carnival before we purchased and they told us that we could make that time, but that we should use their transfer and not a taxi or other transportation. My least favorite part of a cruise is sitting around that last day waiting for our color to be called. We book the South Beach excursion when in Miami just to get off the ship early. Not sure if I would book that early a flight out of Miami because of how busy that airport is on the weekend, but New Orleans was fine, even considering the snow storm.

Have fun on your cruise and feel free to contact with any other questions. Our email addy is posted above.

Steve