statendam inside cabins

dszrew

We're planning a 2011 Alaska cruise, most likely northbound on Statendam. Any recommendations for good inside cabins? We have two boys so were thinking of booking two insides next to each other, cheaper than 4 of us in a verandah, more room, and two bathrooms.

Any recommendations on inside cabins and locations? Anyone been in the four aft M cabins on deck 5? Why would these 4 be a lower category than the L cabins a bit more forward?

What about L417/423 on deck 6?

Seen recommendations for J345 (we could get two together here). Any other good spots?

I'm a veteran cave-dweller on every class of ship. I highly recommend the J-category cabins on Lower Promenade. They are a generous size, and are convenient to the great outdoors. In Alaska, this is a plus. They are located between the forward atrium and the aft staircase, so the ride is as smooth as it's going to get.

If you book two of these, make sure they open to the same passageway. And take a look to be sure you are not under the galley area; too far back will be.

The next choice would be the K-cabins direcly below, on Main Deck. The cabins are the same size (all the "large" insides are the same size) as the J-cabins. Again, very close to the outdoors. These cabins are sandwiched between two passenger decks, so are quiet.

Stay away from the "standard" insides. They are far too small.

I can see why the J cabins on Deck 6 are good--just a few steps out to the deck. I'd definitely prefer those to the K's on Deck 5 as there is no outer deck on that level.

Is there an outside deck aft on deck 5 from the L and M cabins? so if we had M693 could we just step out back and watch the wake, or go up one level to the deck on level 6?

what's in the open aft area on deck 4? would we be getting noise if we were up on deck 5?

You're confusing me when you use deck numbers, as the same deck name has different numbers on different ships. The deck names are almost consistent.

I believe the outside aft area on Main Deck is not a public area; I haven't rechecked the deck plans, though to confirm this.

There's no public aft area on Dolphin Deck. There's equipment, but I don't know what else goes on there.

So I'm wondering about the aft insides on the Main deck.

Is the aft area out back a place you can stand, as well as what's below the cabins on the Main desk on A Deck. there's a big blank area without any inside cabins, so I'm wondering if we're above that area whether we'd get noise.

So I'm wondering about the aft insides on the Main deck.

Is the aft area out back a place you can stand, as well as what's below the cabins on the Main desk on A Deck. there's a big blank area without any inside cabins, so I'm wondering if we're above that area whether we'd get noise.

I'm pretty sure that there is some white noise in the aft area. KweenKaren mentioned the the white noise on her Grand Voyage and I believe she was on the lower promendade deck of the Amsterdam. Also, you get the anchor noise very early in the morning when they dock if you are in the bow area. I would take Ruth's suggestions as she really does know her ships.

We had K600 and were very pleased with the room. There is a laundry on the Main deck somewhere near K622 if I remember correctly. The deck plan I have on the Statendam doesn't show where the laundry is but I know we passed it on our way to our room and it was sort of a noisy area.

If you really want an inside cabin in the aft despite the possiblity of some noise--make sure it is the Main deck. There will be stairs to the lower promenade deck just outside the end M Rooms. I think the white noise from that huge white area below the Dolphin deck could possibly be engine noise.

OK. I just checked the deck plans. I would be satisfied with any of the J-cabins on Lower Promenade, or any of the K-cabins on Main Deck. I would not drop down to A-Deck (or Dolphin Deck; I don't remember the name on this ship).

On both decks those cabins are between the forward and aft staircases, so the ride will be as smooth as it's going to get. Main Deck will be quiet; Lower Promenade should be quiet---moreso nearer the forward staircase.

The aft area on Main Deck is not a public area, so no, you would not be able to stand out there. Also, there may be some noise there from crew members either working, or taking a break.

We will have our first J-cat cabin on the Zaandam (3343) to Hawaii next week. We have usually booked main deck midship, but RuthC raved about the J-cat we just had to be it.

We will have our first J-cat cabin on the Zaandam (3343) to Hawaii next week. We have usually booked main deck midship, but RuthC raved about the J-cat we just had to be it.

Arghhhhh! I can't take the pressure! :eek:

Just kidding. I know you'll be pleased with the cabin and the location, so long as being in an inside is all right with you, this is a good one.

Have a great time on your Hawaii cruise! It's such a lovely one.

Archived