pre-existing condition waiver

It appears that to be eligible for the pre-existing condition waiver, one has to insure the full amount of nonrefundable costs. How much shoud one insure if one does not know what those costs will be? For example, it appears one generally needs to insure with 10-14 days of the cruise deposit. So, I know what the cruise fare will be, but I dont what the airfare will cost, or if I will be successful in using frequent flyer miles. Is one forced to overestimate these costs in order to be covered?

It appears that to be eligible for the pre-existing condition waiver, one has to insure the full amount of nonrefundable costs. How much shoud one insure if one does not know what those costs will be? For example, it appears one generally needs to insure with 10-14 days of the cruise deposit. So, I know what the cruise fare will be, but I dont what the airfare will cost, or if I will be successful in using frequent flyer miles. Is one forced to overestimate these costs in order to be covered?

First of all, not every insurer requires that you insure your full trip cost to be eligible for the pre-existing condition waiver.

For those that do, when you book the cruise insure that amount in the necessary time period -- usually 7 to 21 days. Then when you book other arrangements such as flights add those to your existing policy, again within the 7 to 21 days needed to keep the waiver in effect.

Here's one exaplr from Travel Guard:

"Pre-Existing Medical Condition Exclusion Waiver

The Insurer will waive the pre-existing medical condition exclusion up to a maximum of the first $30,000 of Trip Cost per person if the following conditions are met:

1. This plan is purchased within 15 days of making the Initial Trip Payment;

2. The amount of coverage purchased equals all prepaid nonrefundable payments or deposits applicable to the Trip at the time of purchase, and the cost of any subsequent arrangement(s) added to the same Trip are insured within 15 days of the date of payment or deposit for any subsequent Trip arrangement(s);

3. All Insured's are medically able to travel when plan cost is paid.:

Archived