Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cruise pup

Diamond Princess 1/15-22/05

Had a wonderful cruise. This may be my favorite ship of all time. It's like the Grand Princess with improvements such as placing the disco more midship, adding a central staircase by the atrium elevators, the Horizon Court buffet wraps around the aft end with lovely banquet seating. The leather chairs in the Wheelhouse Bar are soooo soft. We had 2nd seating in the traditional dining room (International). All of the shows had 10:30 pm performances which was plenty of time to make them. Just wish they were better. I think this is the only area Princess is slipping. The food was just terrific. The onion soup was incredible. A meal in itself. Also loved the guacamole from the Southwestern dining room and the stir fry shrimp and scallops from the Asian dining room. We were given the menu to one of the other 4 dining rooms so we were able to sample all of the food without giving up our terrific wait team (Juan and Johnry). I must also commend my stewardess, Nancy (Emerald deck, forward, port side). She not only did a great job of taking care of the cabin and my special requests (egg crate for bed, extra ice in the frige, etc.) but always seemed to be outside my cabin to wish me a good day or evening when I left.

We did the beach on our own in Puerto Vallarta. Taxis are super cheap. Drinks on the beach were also a bargain ($1.50 beers and $3.50 daiquiris). Didn't really think much of PV, though. It's mostly Americans.

Mazatlan was more interesting. We took the Sierra Madre tour which was excellent. The stops at the adobe and furniture makers weren't very exciting but the 2 towns we visited, Concordia and Copala were nice. The churches were beautiful and you got to see the real Mexico, warts and all, on the way. The ride through the countryside was very scenic and interesting. We even passed a frog farm where they breed them for frog's legs. On the way back to the ship we made the obligatory shopping stop in the Golden Zone (the tequila served in the back of Pardo's is quality stuff). The ride back to the ship from there was wonderful. We drove along the shore and then saw the old town which is quite beautiful. Our tour guide (Irma) did a terrific job of explaining everything (the good and the bad) including the line up of visitors waiting to embark on the ferry to the prison.

In Cabo we took the Sail and Snorkel excursion to Santa Maria Cove. Had a fantastic time despite the chilly water (which took no time getting used to) we saw quite a display of underwater life. The tropical fish were beautiful. A huge school of fish came by and circled around me. Quite a sight! Saw a number of whales from the boat but also saw them from the ship. This is apparently prime whale watching season.

I'll be happy to answer any questions. I save all of the patters. By the way, a terrific selection of films were shown on tv and in the Princess Theatre (Shrek 2; Delovey; Lady Killers; Stepford Wives; Calendar Girls to mention just a few).

Pup: Thanks so much for the info. We leave this Sat., 1/29, on the Diamond. I have two specific questions. (1) Who was the Cruise Director; and (2) Was either (or both) Lorenzo Clark or Mike Wilson onboard entertainment the week you went. Thanks again. Glad you had a good time.

The Hag

Welcome home, Pup…glad to hear the ship lived up to your (our) expectations! I’ll drop you a note soon!

I don't understand - there are two current reviews on this site under reviews that suggest the Diamond was the worst cruise experience of their life??

Go figure!

Ron

This was my first time back to Princess in over 3 years. I was expecting to find so many changes and not for the better. Well, not true. If you loved Princess back then I think you'll still love it. In fact, they went back to serving drinks at the welcome aboard cocktail party. The last one on Grand Princess back in Nov '01 they SOLD champagne. Nothing was complimentary. The ship is gorgeous, the food was terrific, the staff was very friendly, and I have nothing to complain about. I didn't even have a balcony! Also, I don't know if this is a new feature but the lamps beside the beds with dimmers is an excellent idea. No more getting blinded if you get up in the middle of the night.

We had Nancy on the 1/8 sailing, she was great!! I thought this was one of our favorite ships, great service! We had a great cruise despite the Noro virus.

Were any of the dining rooms open for lunch on embarkation day?

And Princess has had bed lamp dimmers as long as I can remember.

None of the dining rooms are open on the first day. Just the Horizon Food Court.

cruise pup, so glad you had a great time. I was on the 11/27 sailing and also loved it. The Diamond is a gorgeous ship, that's for sure. I have been on her twice. Will be trying her sister, the Sapphire in May.

None of the dining rooms are open on the first day. Just the Horizon Food Court.

cruise pup, so glad you had a great time. I was on the 11/27 sailing and also loved it. The Diamond is a gorgeous ship, that's for sure. I have been on her twice. Will be trying her sister, the Sapphire in May.

Lucky you! I can't believe how many people had the Captain's Circle party had already been on Sapphire and/or were returning to the Diamond. Me, I'm "downgrading" to the Regal (only joking) to S. America next year.