How strict is the baggage weight limit?

Hello everyone, me again!

I cruise on the Pacific Dawn on Saturday. I am packing like a mad woman. Does anyone know how strict the 32kg weight limit is? Do the suitcases get weighed? Just wondering.

I have read all the advice about packing light, but I am so not a light packer. Being my first cruise, I am sure to over-pack.

Thanks in advance,

AA

Most times the machines automatically record the weight same as Airports and it has plenty to do with OH&S and claims from the baggage handlers which is fair enough.

32Kg is a pretty heavy bag, I have had 26Kg and it was nearly pulling my arm out.

Weigh your bag at home it will give you an idea within 10 %

I cruise on the Pacific Dawn on Saturday. I am packing like a mad woman. Does anyone know how strict the 32kg weight limit is? Do the suitcases get weighed? Just wondering.

I have read all the advice about packing light, but I am so not a light packer. Being my first cruise, I am sure to over-pack.

Thanks in advance,

AA[/quote

Hi AA

I don't think it does, If it is heavy Im pretty sure they just wack a heavy tag on it to warn the porters who lift it. When u get to the terminal you drop off your bag, if ur leaving from Sydney wharf 8 you do this on the right hand side just outside of the terminal you won't miss it and there are people directing you. After that you won't sed your bags until the arrive in your cabin a little while after you are boarded do pack what ever you may need straigh away in your carry on luggage, Suncreen hat and swimmers are my hot tip.

Enjoy your cruise you will have a blast

Don't have scales here. I guess if I can still carry it, I will know it's pretty right....

Does your carry on stuff...like a backpack etc count?

Also, I am having a minor stress-attack tonight, but do you have to organise visas for your cruise?

Thanks in advance,

AA

you will over pack and 32kg is a lot, think of the poor person lifting your case.....they may throw it around and it'll get damaged...if you want to do a wash they have a laundry onboard

try and sort out your clothes as you will have too much and you are only going for a week

rkmw

There are two weight limits.

Firstly, the baggage allowance depending on the airline.

Secondly, max of 32 kilograms on airline or ship due to oh&s requirements.

The airlines place a heavy sticker on the article if over about 20 kilo.

Over 32 and it becomes freight.

No it shouldn't but just remember you will have to carry it around with you until you get to your cabin. They have washers and dryers 3 dollars per load just take some powder with you. Once u pack like a crazy person the first time you won't do it again cause you will have to unpack it all when you get home and you won't have used half of it.

Just enjoy your self and leave some space In ur bag for shopping.

Visa's depend on where u are going? PacifiC islands are generally a no.

Don't have scales here. I guess if I can still carry it, I will know it's pretty right....

Also, I am having a minor stress-attack tonight, but do you have to organise visas for your cruise?

Back packs don't count, you can have two Cases and carry on luggage each.

If you went over the limit on a Cruise you would be really over the average amount compared to Airlines.

All you need is the usual bathroom scales, you weigh yourself ,then weigh yourself and your case , then see how much extra it came to.

You mention that you don't have scales. I get the impression you are a woman, so unless you are a weight-lifter, you would not be able to comfortably lift more than 20kg-23kg. Zip up your case and give it a "test-lift".

As someone else said, you can take two cases if you wish (as long as you do not have to fly to Brisbane to join the ship).

We went on a 12 day cruise that left from Melbourne, so we had no airline weight restrictions to worry about.

All the same, my case did not come to 20kg.

Here's the trick. You and your husband need to have one suitcase each, on wheels. A fairly biggish one each.

That way, you will be getting 40kg of luggage on board instead of it all in one 32kg case. (if this is what is causing some of the problem, that is)

Next, both of you get yourselves a cabin bag, the sort that slips over the top of the pull up handle on your suitcase.

Get the biggest size they make. This won't be all that huge as it will be made to fit within airline allowable sizes. But it will be big enough to fit a fair bit.

The beauty of this is that when you later have to lug all your own luggage about, you will be able to cope easily with both bags together.

The other solution, apart from the slip on cabin bag, would be a reasonably good sized back pack.

If you are to haul a suitcase when you disembark, you don't want two big cases for yourself, you will never manage.

Now as to washing-good luck if you can find the laundry ever free. I went past ours twice a day on the Sun princess (and it had a laundry on every floor) and never did I find it without a queue.

BUT, the shower had a little pull out line and what i did was hand wash undies and sometimes shirts and just hang them in there.

For a 7 day cruise, especially if it is to anywhere warm, I doubt you will need more than 7 pairs of underwear, 7 or 8 tops, bathers, snorkel & mask, a few pairs of shorts or jeans or whatever. Then a few bits and pieces.

It shouldn't come to 20kg. If you are taking a jacket that is a bit heavy-wear it on.

Good luck with it all-we went overboard too for our first cruise, but it still wasn't over 20kg. Remember, you don't need to take towels of any sort or soap, tissues, any of those sorts of things either.

I think you are missunderstanding the weight limit

You can take as much weight as you like on the ship ( airline is different)

BUT each case must not have more than 32kgs

'

We took 7 cases last cruise( we drive to the ship) 5 were full of donations

So if you are not flying take 2 cases or 1 large trolly bag that holds plenty .

Di

Archived