Why does Carnival do this?

tammymacb

Because of DD's school schedule, I have to change my cruise reservation for Jan '11. We were doing an 8 night with a special itenerary, now we'll be doing a "standard" 7 night.

After combing through available cruises, we'll be on the Liberty departing Jan 8th for seven nights. We'll have to drive or fly to Miami because it is the ONLY option for a 7 night cruise that week ( Departing Jan 8th or 9th ) that's not going to the Western Caribbean. Every other cruise, whether from Tampa, Port Canaveral, Miami or Ft Lauderdale is doing western.

Why doesn't Carnival mix up their schedule a little? Giving cruisers at least a couple options per week to choose Eastern or Western? It seems a bit silly that if I really wanted to do the usual Eastern that week ( visiting St Maartin ) I'd have to take another line.

Carnival intentionally looked forward in their schedule and saw that someone named Tammy would need to change their schedule and Carnival said "Let's screw with her. Let's make it difficult." :eek:

After combing through available cruises, we'll be on the Liberty departing Jan 8th for seven nights. We'll have to drive or fly to Miami because it is the ONLY option for a 7 night cruise that week ( Departing Jan 8th or 9th ) that's not going to the Western Caribbean..

I bet there's someone out there cursing Carnival because they wanted to sail to the Western Caribbean on the Liberty that week and they can't because it's going to the Eastern. :rolleyes:

The quick answer is that schedules are planned by the cruise line months (if not years) in advance. It's hard to please every single potential passenger out there.

If I could choose the ship, length of cruise, and itinerary from my closest port of embarkation (Mobile), it would look completely different than what's currently offered....

On a positive note, I love the Liberty. It's our FAVORITE ship in the entire Carnival fleet! We did the standard eastern Caribbean (San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten) and had an AWESOME time. Hope you enjoy it!

I don't know why they don't but I can understand your frustration, For example, Carnival Dream sails Eastern when Oasis of the Seas sails Eastern as well as many others.

We sailed Dream and St Thomas and St Maarten were zoos with all the ships in port. I think the problem is that Glory sailed the same ports and Oasis came later, but I wish that Carnival could/would change things for a lot of their cruises.

I think the problem is there are probably contracts signed that dictate when a ship can be in a port and even though we don't like it, we have to "suck it up and deal with it" or change cruise lines. Neither is a good choice.

I wonder why people feel they need to make a stupid reply instead of making no reply at all. :rolleyes:

What I'm asking is a simple question. When there are people who would prefer one schedule over the other and when Carnival has several ships leaving from Florida at the time, you'd think someone would say, "Maybe we should split these destinations up, and not have every ship going to the same place on the same week."

Not only would it be helpful for those like me who don't want to do a Western Caribbean cruise, it would be nice for those who do. Not every ship in Carnivals fleet would be in port the same days.

I wonder why people feel they need to make a stupid reply instead of making no reply at all. :rolleyes:

What I'm asking is a simple question. When there are people who would prefer one schedule over the other and when Carnival has several ships leaving from Florida at the time, you'd think someone would say, "Maybe we should split these destinations up, and not have every ship going to the same place on the same week."

Not only would it be helpful for those like me who don't want to do a Western Caribbean cruise, it would be nice for those who do. Not every ship in Carnivals fleet would be in port the same days.

One of the reasons Carnival intentionally is at port at least at some point with another Carnival ship is in case they may need to exchange supplies. At least this was once told to me by a representative giving the Behind the Fun Tour.

What I'm asking is a simple question.

The problem is that the answer to your question (Why doesn't Carnival mix up their schedule a little?) isn't one that people here can answer definitively. They can guess---or make a stupid reply---but nobody here can answer the question with certainty. Just my two cents... Sorry! :)

I'd venture a guess that Carnival's schedule is designed to make them as much money as possible. As a businesss, you can never make all of your customers happy all of the time, but you can maximize your profits with sound business decision. It may not be convenient for everyone, but it is what makes them the most money.

I think when you get right down to it, you can say most any decision made by a business is done with profits in mind.

Carnival intentionally looked forward in their schedule and saw that someone named Tammy would need to change their schedule and Carnival said "Let's screw with her. Let's make it difficult." :eek:

Sorry, but I found this post funny. I'm sure it was meant totally tongue in cheek. It's something I'd say to my own kids if they asked a "why do they . . . ." question.

But I can totally see where the OP is coming from. You would think that it would make some sense to schedule Eastern and Western cruises on the same week in order to capture as much of the cruising market as possible. Some people can only cruise a certain week and prefer either the Eastern or the Western itinerary. If Carnival doesn't offer it, then there's a good chance they will cruise another line, thus diminishing Carnival's market share.

Tammy, I understand your frustration. On the week in February

2011 of school vacation all the ships are going to the Western

Carribbean. Having gotten burned out on the western route our

only other choice is the southern going out of San Juan. We love

this itinerary but the flight to San Juan are expensive!!

Why doesn't Carnival mix up their schedule a little? Giving cruisers at least a couple options per week to choose Eastern or Western? It seems a bit silly that if I really wanted to do the usual Eastern that week ( visiting St Maartin ) I'd have to take another line.

You may have answered your own question - look at other lines and never eliminate your options, maybe RCCL, NCL, Celebrity, Princess are doing the itinerary you want and for a price comparable to what Carnival is.

You may have answered your own question - look at other lines and never eliminate your options, maybe RCCL, NCL, Celebrity, Princess are doing the itinerary you want and for a price comparable to what Carnival is.

Why that's too easy:D

My thinking is something along the lines of port scheduling and per head port charges and the deals Carnival has made with the ports.

Because of DD's school schedule, I have to change my cruise reservation for Jan '11. We were doing an 8 night with a special itenerary, now we'll be doing a "standard" 7 night.

After combing through available cruises, we'll be on the Liberty departing Jan 8th for seven nights. We'll have to drive or fly to Miami because it is the ONLY option for a 7 night cruise that week ( Departing Jan 8th or 9th ) that's not going to the Western Caribbean. Every other cruise, whether from Tampa, Port Canaveral, Miami or Ft Lauderdale is doing western.

Don't complain--Have you looked at the West Coast Itins lately?

Good idea--Have you checked out the Spirit out of San Diego or the Splendor out of Long Beach?

I agree..Let the children play!!!!;)

Gee, thanks, I never would have thought of that! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I booked the Liberty and have my aft balcony. ( I would have booked Celebrity if I hadn't let my 13 year old daughter pick the cruiseline this time )

Some of you people need to lighten up. I didn't insult your mother.

Tammy I for one agree with you. I don't think it was a dumb question at all. Whether it's a question the people here actually have an answer to is another question in itself but I don't think they can.

I've noticed the same thing though. The Dream changes it's itinerary every week from Eastern to Western yet the Legend only does the Western, week after week after week as does most of the others. I love the Legend but I don't want to do the Western on it again so soon. Why can't they alternate them all in an organized manner so that there's always a different choice? I don't have that answer and I don't think anyone on this board does either. They may express their opinion but does that really answer your question or even matter?

Why can't they mix up the ports of call? I don't know why the Western itinerary has to be the same Western ports every time, can't they mix it up with other Western ports? I don't know, but I'm with you. Am I going to stop cruising? No, but I might have to cruise another line in order to get the itinerary I want. But there's nothing wrong with that either.

I'm betting they have contract agreements with the ports that they're bound to, but they can always re-negociate. The cruise lines are the ones with the power because the ports want their business.

Gee, thanks, I never would have thought of that! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I booked the Liberty and have my aft balcony. ( I would have booked Celebrity if I hadn't let my 13 year old daughter pick the cruiseline this time )

Some of you people need to lighten up. I didn't insult your mother.

Wow! Steve was just trying to help ya out:confused:

Archived