• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Ecstasy in a little panic

gone_cruis'n

just got text from daughter on the Ecstasy, major panic from ship trying to avoid something so it made a very quick turn. Daughter says they were within inches of going over. Everyone is ok however many are upset and panic stricken.

...they were within inches of going over.o

I'm glad everyone's okay, but that statement is almost certainly untrue. It may have seemed like a very steep list, but I seriously doubt that capsizing was imminent.

just got text from daughter on the Ecstasy' date=' major panic from ship trying to avoid something so it made a very quick turn. Daughter says they were within inches of going over. Everyone is ok however many are upset and panic stricken.[/quote']

Can't wait to hear the "official" word from Carnival

Daughter says they were within inches of going over. .

Doubt that they were "inches" from going over. When the Crown Princess had it's listing incident in 2006' date=' they reported that the ship banked to 24 degrees (just FYI, standard turn on jet airplanes are 30 degrees), so any of these cruise passengers who had ever flown had already experienced steeper turns.

However, on a cruise ship that's traveling at a fraction of the speed and where things are not secured, the consecuences are different and feel different. Here's a surveillance video from the

On the old Celebration, I woke up in the middle night to a bottle of water falling on my head. Felt like the whole ship was about to heel over on her beam ends.

Turns out it was only a 5 degree list. Totally safe.

I was on the promenade deck above the pool when the turn was made. It did dump about half of the water from the pool and all of the deck chairs went to the starboard side with the people laying on them. I would guess somewhere between 15 to 20 degree list.

Closed the buffets and grills and all shops. Had to clean up broken glass. There was beach bags and contents floating everywhere on Lido deck around the pool.

On the old Celebration, I woke up in the middle night to a bottle of water falling on my head. Felt like the whole ship was about to heel over on her beam ends.

Turns out it was only a 5 degree list. Totally safe.

You were probably hammered.

I was on the promenade deck above the pool when the turn was made. It did dump about half of the water from the pool and all of the deck chairs went to the starboard side with the people laying on them. I would guess somewhere between 15 to 20 degree list.

Closed the buffets and grills and all shops. Had to clean up broken glass. There was beach bags and contents floating everywhere on Lido deck around the pool.

Why did you have to make such a drastic maneuver??? This is your last sea day right?

You were probably hammered.

Oddly enough, I wasn't. I have a very, very clear recollection of that night, as I was sharing a cabin with my mother, who jumped out of bed and started putting all her jewelry on, followed by her life jacket. I asked her what she was doing. She said she wanted to be ready in case we had to go somewhere. My response was, where? The Holiday Inn down the street?

I was on the Ecstasy the cruise before this one and I have to say it's the rockiest ship I've ever been on. We had 30+ knot winds with 14'+ seas almost all days and you could feel every one of the swells.

During sea trials all ships are tested at cruise speed and the rudder fully deflected. Given that I suspect that the ship was fine...

I'm sure it appeared differently to some of the passengers but I'm sure they were fine...

:)

I think the feeling of people thinking they were about to go over could have mean't over the railing, not the ship itself (unless a rogue wave was involved). Whether or not anyone was in actual danger of going over any particular railing depends on many factors.

Don't shoot the messengers.:)

Oddly enough, I wasn't. I have a very, very clear recollection of that night, as I was sharing a cabin with my mother, who jumped out of bed and started putting all her jewelry on, followed by her life jacket. I asked her what she was doing. She said she wanted to be ready in case we had to go somewhere. My response was, where? The Holiday Inn down the street?

It seems like mothers everywhere are the same. :confused:

Maybe by 'going over' they meant that they almost went over the edge of the boat railing, not the boat was inches from turning completely over.

My wife and I were on the Liberty in December when it made a listing turn in the middle of the storm. I'm unsure what the degree of the turn was, but if we had been out on an open deck, it would've surely been difficult to remain balanced.

Since their path takes them close to the Deepwater Horizon which is currently on fire, it could have played a part in a course alteration.

But nearly going over... I doubt it.

John

Since the Ecstasy is sailing out of Galveston and the Deepwater Horizon is about 52 miles off the eastern tip of Louisiana I don' think that was it.

That rig is a mess, though, and in danger of collapse...

The announcement from the Captain said it was to avoid an object (buoy) in the water. That is all that we know.

They are still looking for survivors of that explosion that "might" be in life rafts....perhaps this drastic measure was to avoid hitting what could have been a life raft???

Archived