Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mc'smom

I just found this.......

Maybe I am mistaking, but I thought the ship was a self-contained little city and didn't offload sewage.

Molly -

You are correct and incorrect at the same time...

Human Waste is borken down and becomes known as Black Water ( it is stored and can not be reused due to the toxicity of it )

Water from other sources is known as Gray Water and after processing it can be used for a few uses ( but it is not considered potable )

The nations of the world have an agreed apon standard - ie. no waste is to be dumped in port, some times of waste is actually allowed to be dumped past an agreed on mile limit ( ie. can dump food stuffs past 15 miles etc. )

Many cruise lines hold all their waste, some are constantly found guilty of dumping while in port.

We cruised on Victory to Canada on a 5-day cruise in 2002 and while we didn't have a horrible time, it wasn't great either. I don't think it's because Carnival is so horrible - that was our 2nd Carnival cruise and we've cruised Jubilee since then. I actually like the Jubilee better than the Victory. When I think of my main complaint about most of our Carnival cruises, it's the crowds and the Victory seemed more crowded than any other cruise we've taken. Also, on this ship, we thought the dining room service was just OK and the food was very bland.

I wrote a review of this cruise and while I wasn't quite as negative as the other reviewer, I still reviewed this less than positive cruise experience.

Speaking of other ships in this same class, I've heard lots of good things about the Destiny so I think I'll still try out different Carnival ships - even those in the same class as the Victory.

We are scheduled to do our 5th cruise with Carnival in Apr. We have been on 4 different ships to date and have not had what I would call bad service on any of them and have never experience the sewage smell. I don't doubt that it happens - we have just never had the problem. Had what I thought was a legitimate complaint from our trip on the conquest. Soot on the balcony and loud music from the disco below us - wrote Carnival (and didn't ask for a thing by the way). They handled it very professionally and we ended up with a discount on our next cruise. Had I known the room was up above the disco and that the ship was not insulated to keep that from happening I would not have booked that room, and if I had know there was going to be soot from the stacks on the balcony furniture and rails I would have booked a side balcony. Live and learn. We had a good time and saw those things as minor in the over all scheme of things. I have been on these boards for a couple of years now and have seen very negative posts and very positive posts about every ship in the fleet. Have been fortunate and not run into any major problems. Knock on wood!